[comp.os.vms] Cheap

baw@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Brian Wolfe) (10/30/90)

I'm trying to get a few departments of my company to get together to
help finance an Internet connection and unfortunately not all of them
have money to pay for the connection and the TCP-IP software for VMS.
(One of the machines we need it for is a Vax 6440, soon to be traded in
for a Vax 9000)

Is there any free or very cheap TCP-IP software for VMS available?
Telnet and FTP would be the only applications they need.

I'm already familiar with DEC's UCX, Wollengong, TGV, Fusion & Process Software,

Unfortunately they are just too expensive.

I'd appreciate any pointers and I will gladly summarize for the net.

regards,

Brian Wolfe
Rush Medical Center
Chicago, IL
bwolfe@rpslmc.edu
(312)-942-5781
Brian Wolfe                    Internet: baw@terminator.cc.umich.edu
Systems Analyst                UUCP:     {rutgers,uunet}!sharkey!hfhrv!brian
Henry Ford Hospital 	       Voice:    (313)-876-7461

manager@cai.com (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct29.182022.2227@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, baw@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Brian Wolfe) writes:
> I'm trying to get a few departments of my company to get together to
> help finance an Internet connection and unfortunately not all of them
> have money to pay for the connection and the TCP-IP software for VMS.
> (One of the machines we need it for is a Vax 6440, soon to be traded in
> for a Vax 9000)
>
> Is there any free or very cheap TCP-IP software for VMS available?
> Telnet and FTP would be the only applications they need.
>
> Brian Wolfe
> Rush Medical Center
> Chicago, IL
> bwolfe@rpslmc.edu
> (312)-942-5781

I highly recommend Carnegie Mellon Universities CMU-TEK TCP/IP.  The following
information is from the latest newsletter:

	Kdren Heilman
	(412)268-5896
	KH55@andrew.cmu.edu
	Carnegie Mellon University
	4910 Forbes Avenue UCC 124
	Pittsburgh, PA 15213

	$125 for the license
	add $25 for TK50
	add $25 for Purchase Order
	add $50 for outside US

questions:

	1. It doesn't do NFS.
	2. It can do TELNET, FTP, Domain Name Service, LPR
	3. It works with (at least) VMS 4.7 through 5.4.
	4. Most of it is in Bliss, sources are included.
	5. The pre-compiled system provides for a DEC Ethernet driver.
	6. You can build an IP-over-DECnet driver, a SLIP driver, and
           and IP-over-X.25 driver, but you may experience great anguish
           in getting them to work in your environment.
        7. There is a DECwindows transport for CMU-TEK TCP/IP, so your
           favorite Unix box can be an X client to your VAXstation.

I have absolutely no affiliation with CMU. I am providing this information of
my own free will in hopes of improving the quality of your network life.
Flames to /dev/null, NLA0:, or whatever passes for your local bitbucket.

--
Todd Aven
Manager, Mid-range Computer Services

Internet:	manager@cai.com