[comp.os.vms] My postscript printer doesn't end a job at end of file.

grodan@cyklop.nada.kth.se (Mats G L|fdahl) (11/15/90)

Hello,

I have a problem that has to do with a postscript printer that is
connected to a VAX/VMS. I don't know if the solution is a VMS solution
or a postscript solution, so I post to both comp.os.vms and
comp.lang.postscript. The problem is as follows:

I have a postscript header file that, when appended to a text file,
makes the text file print out with a nice header on my postscript
printer. The problem is that when I send another postscript file to
the printer, it doesn't understand that it is a new file, but
continues to print it verbatim.

How can I tell the printer that "This file ends here!! Close it (or
whatever a postsript interpretor is supposed to do)!", or
alternatively "Hey, this is a new file!! Close the one you might be
working on!".  Stated this way it sounds like I should add some
postscript code to the end of my file, but I'm sure that there must be
some way for an operating system to tell a printer where a job
ends/begins.

Please answer by email. I'll post a summary if any one else is
interested.

Mats L|fdahl           Stockholm Observatory         tel +46-8 16 44 75
Lofdahl@Astro.SU.SE

grodan@cyklop.nada.kth.se (Mats G L|fdahl) (11/16/90)

In article <0093fb3f.e5222cc0.9431@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU> carl@SOL1.GPS.CALTECH.EDU (Carl J Lydick) writes:

      [I wrote:]
    > How can I tell the printer that "This file ends here!! Close it (or
    > whatever a postsript interpretor is supposed to do)!", .......

   Append a record consisting only of a control-D to your file.  Alternatively,
   use the print symbiont modification routines to have the job_completion
   routine send a formfeed followed by a control-d instead of just a formfeed.
   Or you could start every file with a record consisting of only a control-d.

I now append a file consisting of only a ^D after each file, and it
works fine. Thanks to Carl, and to all who responded through email.