[comp.os.vms] Anyone have the new DEC VT1300 ?

mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) (11/20/90)

Is anyone using a DEC VT1300 Color X/DECwindows terminal?

The VT1300 looks like the perfect option for me, but I can't seem to find
one to take a look at.  I'm particularly interested in performance and
memory considerations.

	Is there enough memory to handle 4 - 5 terminal windows as well
		as a few X applications like SAS/GRAPH and/or 20/20 or
		does the memory meter start peaking?

	Can memory be upgraded (as a standard 3100 would be) to enhance
		performance?

	What does the upgrade to a VS3100 model 30 SPX consist of?  New ROM's?
		Expansion Cards?

Also, is the VAX ELN Window Server software available for VS2000's yet?

Thanks,
-- michael
Michael McGuffey, Director	  BITNET:   mcguffey@marshall
Office of Institutional Research  Internet: mcguffey%muvms3@wvnvms.wvnet.edu
Marshall University		  Phone:    304/696-3212
Huntington, WV 25755		  FAX:      304/696-3601

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (11/22/90)

In article <30477@muvms3.bitnet>, mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) writes:
> 	Can memory be upgraded (as a standard 3100 would be) to enhance
> 		performance?
>
> 	What does the upgrade to a VS3100 model 30 SPX consist of?  New ROM's?
> 		Expansion Cards?

Rumor has it that the VT1300 is just a diskless VS3100. The VS3100 model 30
SPX upgrade consists of the SCSI controller.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

VERKADE@CTSS.CO.UK (Herman Verkade) (11/29/90)

In article <30477@muvms3.bitnet>, mcguffey@muvms3.bitnet (Michael McGuffey) writes:
>Is anyone using a DEC VT1300 Color X/DECwindows terminal?

I have installed a few.

>Is there enough memory to handle 4 - 5 terminal windows as well
>	as a few X applications like SAS/GRAPH and/or 20/20 or
>	does the memory meter start peaking?

Plenty of memory. The application runs remotely, so you only require enough
memory to hold what is displayed on the screen.

>Can memory be upgraded (as a standard 3100 would be) to enhance
>	performance?

Probably, but not necesary.

>What does the upgrade to a VS3100 model 30 SPX consist of?  New ROM's?
>	Expansion Cards?

In fact, it's a Model 38. The upgrade to a diskless VS3100 consists of a VMS
license only.

>Also, is the VAX ELN Window Server software available for VS2000's yet?

I haven't seen it yet.

Herman Verkade