[comp.os.vms] DECWindows over the network

ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) (12/05/90)

Can I ask that the exact details of setting up TCP/IP as a transport
mechanism for DECwindows be added to the FAQ for both of these groups?

it is *not* as simple as doing set/transport=<whatever> as a user
on VMS.  there is a precursor phase, which is configuring the VMS node
to know about TCP/IP as a transport mechanism for DECwindows before any
user can do this, which involves creating or modifying

	SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM

And as I understand it this is *not* done for you if you install X
"out of the box" from digital. It may be documented already in which
case a pointer to where in the VMS manual set would be useful.

It might also be worth noting what you have to do within MIT Xwindows
to get a DECnet transport built into your libraries, the need to have
-ldnet in the linkage line on ultrix boxes, and how exactly you get
DECnet to work on a Sun (I understand not all versions of Sunos can
do this even if DNI is built into the kernel)

	-George
--
	G.Michaelson
Internet: G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au                     Phone: +61 7 377 4079

mcmahon@drago.tgv.com (John McMahon) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.225800.11357@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au>, ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) writes...
:
:Can I ask that the exact details of setting up TCP/IP as a transport
:mechanism for DECwindows be added to the FAQ for both of these groups?
:
:it is *not* as simple as doing set/transport=<whatever> as a user
:on VMS.  there is a precursor phase, which is configuring the VMS node
:to know about TCP/IP as a transport mechanism for DECwindows before any
:user can do this, which involves creating or modifying
:
:	SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSMGR]DECW$PRIVATE_SERVER_SETUP.COM
:
:And as I understand it this is *not* done for you if you install X
:"out of the box" from digital. It may be documented already in which
:case a pointer to where in the VMS manual set would be useful.

*Sigh*

Depending on how the TCP/IP software is implemented, and when it is started up
(in relation to DECwindows) modification of this command procedure may not
needed.  What really needs to be added to the FAQ is the following:

1)  What TCP/IP packages actually have an IP transport module ?
2)  What version of the package ?
3)  What is the name of the transport module (for /TRANSPORT) ?
4)  Installation issues
5)  User issues

Feel free to fire the answers to me, I'll synthesis a list for the FAQ.
(By the way...  who is maintaining the FAQ nowadays ? I forgot)

John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon    :    MCMAHON@TGV.COM    : TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TGV, Incorporated            :                       :    T   GGGGGGG  V     V
603 Mission Street           : HAVK (abha) Gur bayl  :    T  G          V   V
Santa Cruz, California 95060 : bcrengvat flfgrz gb   :    T  G    GGGG   V V
408-427-4366 or 800-TGV-3440 : or qrfgeblrq ol znvy  :    T   GGGGGGG     V

tp@mccall.com (Terry Poot) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec6.003628.14228@news.arc.nasa.gov>, mcmahon@drago.tgv.com
(John McMahon) writes:
>Depending on how the TCP/IP software is implemented, and when it is started up
>(in relation to DECwindows) modification of this command procedure may not
>needed.  What really needs to be added to the FAQ is the following:
>
>1)  What TCP/IP packages actually have an IP transport module ?
>2)  What version of the package ?
>3)  What is the name of the transport module (for /TRANSPORT) ?
>4)  Installation issues
>5)  User issues
>
>Feel free to fire the answers to me, I'll synthesis a list for the FAQ.
>(By the way...  who is maintaining the FAQ nowadays ? I forgot)

I am. If this gets as big as it should be, I'll start a brand new Part 4 for
DECwindows stuff. I'd be quite happy to have you (i.e. not me) get it started.

BTW, I'd prefer that people who had things to add to the FAQ post them here
first so that people more knowlegeable than myself have a chance to give their
input. (Suggesting this to people has unfortunately caused many to crawl back
into the woodwork rather than actually doing it, but I still prefer it to adding
something that is possibly incorrect.) The one month release cycle of the FAQ
isn't a good way to hammer out problems in contributions. Since John has
volunteered (THANKS!), send him DECwindows stuff. John, when you think it is
ready for inclusion, post it here for "public review". After that, send me your
current version, and I'll add it to the list, and again, thanks for your
efforts.
--
Terry Poot <tp@mccall.com>                The McCall Pattern Company
(uucp: ...!rutgers!ksuvax1!mccall!tp)     615 McCall Road