[comp.os.vms] DSNlink futures-- the scoop from DECUS

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (12/20/90)

Well, at DECUS we saw the "latest" DSNlink-- version 1.1.  The
user interface now includes "videotext" (kind of makes it
look like All-in-1).  The user interface kind of turned me
off (I do not like having to hit PF keys), BUT, having a lot of functions
available from the menu was nice.  (many of the users are
infrequent-- and do not remember all of the utility commands easily,
including myself..)

Other improvements include better data compression, and a GREAT
way of being able to get patches much easier than before.

The one thing that REALLY astounded me was the statistics-- according
to the dec representative, only about 2000 sites across the
counter have registered for DSNlink (requested the software),
and of those 2000, only 750 have actually come online.  (damned shame.
I have REALLY been able to acomplish a lot by using dsnlink-- I've
had patches sent me, crash dumps analyzed, etc.)

It seems that the biggest "roadblock" that DEC is running up against
is security-conscious administrators that REFUSE to connect ANY
type of modem to their system, no matter HOW secure DEC assures
them the setup is.

Oh well.
------
Kent C. Brodie - Sr. Systems Manager       internet:  brodie@fps.mcw.edu
Faculty Physicians & Surgeons              uucpnet:   uwm.edu!fps!brodie
Medical College of Wisconsin	           voicenet:  +1 414 778 4500
				           faxnet:    +1 414 778 6694

"Operator!  Quick-- give me the number for 911"  -Homer Simpson

maurath@bclcl1.im.battelle.org (Peter Maurath, Battelle Computing Center) (01/08/91)

In article <1990Dec20.102412.3683@fps.mcw.edu>, brodie@fps.mcw.edu writes:
> It seems that the biggest "roadblock" that DEC is running up against
> is security-conscious administrators that REFUSE to connect ANY
> type of modem to their system, no matter HOW secure DEC assures
> them the setup is.

The roadblock we encountered was our own purchasing dept and the DEC local
office.  Since DSNlink is a software license, purchasing insisted that we
had to issue a no-cost purchase order.  Then, since all DEC purchase order
are sent to the DEC local office, they did so.  The DEC local office looked
at the PO and the license form and said "We don't know what to do with
this", so they did not do anything.  This was in May.

After raising a stink at DECUS, we having finally gotten the paperwork mess
straightened out.  Unfortunately, I know of other sites that have reported
similar problems.
Peter Maurath			Internet:	maurath@bclcl1.im.battelle.org
Battelle			DECUServe:	MAURATH
505 King Avenue
Columbus,  OH  43201		Voice: 614-424-7162  Fax:  614-424-5263