[comp.os.vms] Info wanted on DECUS SSP software for VAX/VMS

ccloreta@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au (01/25/91)

Does anyone know whether the DECUS package SSP (Scientific Subroutine Package)
is available for a VAX/VMS system.

I was unable to located the package in the current DECUS catalogue - but if you
are using, or have used this software on a VMS machine - please rely to this
message.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

   Cheers,
   Loretta...

Loretta Davis                   DECNET:   uqvax::ccloreta
Supervising Program Librarian   INTERNET: ccloreta@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au
Prentice Computer Centre
University of Queensland        PHONE:    +61 7 365 4075
AUSTRALIA                       FAX:      +61 7 365 4477

geremin@decus.com.au (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan25.144520.15271@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au>, ccloreta@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au writes:
> Does anyone know whether the DECUS package SSP (Scientific Subroutine Package)
> is available for a VAX/VMS system.

.....rest deleted.....

	I was not aware that there was a SSP package for VAX/VMS
from DECUS.

	My initial recollection is that the VAX FORTRAN came with
the SSP routines - all bundled in together (or did the Hospital
just have a good salesman?).

	Basically the SSP-11 routines were a Digital Product (SPD
#15.45.10) and were supplied on 9-track tape as well as various
disk formats. The entry in the PDP-11 Software Source Handbook
does not specify whether they are source code or object library.

	Try your friendly DEC salesman - it should be easy for
him to get the VMS version if one exists (Nothing mentioned in
the VMS Software Source handbook) or at least he should be able
to tell you if the SSP-11 release has source code available.

	I don't think DEC will be releasing this sort of thing to
DECUS for some time yet - considering that there are new PDP-11
models still being sold, and that Fortran is still a favourite
language for RT-11 systems.

Good luck, John G.
v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v*v
 John Geremin, 	  PDP-11  SIG,		geremin@decus.com.au
 DECUS South Pacific Chapter.            phone (02) 764 4855.
c/-  MEGATRONICS, p.o.box S-5, Homebush South, 2140. Australia.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

cdl@chiton.ucsd.edu (Carl Lowenstein) (01/29/91)

In article <7873.27a4a797@decus.com.au> geremin@decus.com.au writes:
>In article <1991Jan25.144520.15271@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au>, ccloreta@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au writes:
>> Does anyone know whether the DECUS package SSP (Scientific Subroutine Package)
>> is available for a VAX/VMS system.
>>
>	I was not aware that there was a SSP package for VAX/VMS
>from DECUS.

My recollection is that the DEC SSP was a transcription of the IBM 1130 SSP,
plain vanilla Fortran66.  All upper case, looking like card images.
Nothing but 3-branch arithmetic IF's.  (Dec Fortran IV for the PDP11).

I must have a couple of tapes and even an RK05 pack lying around with this
software on it.  But unless there is a real nostalgia value, newer and
better versions of almost everything can be found in Numerical Recipes.

(written from my position as DECUS RT11 SIG packrat)
--
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu

bjj@psuecl.bitnet (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan25.144520.15271@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au>, ccloreta@uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au writes:
> Does anyone know whether the DECUS package SSP (Scientific Subroutine Package)
> is available for a VAX/VMS system.

Looks to me like IBM SSP became DECUS SSP which became part of DEC's
VAXlab Software Library (VSL) product.