[comp.os.vms] UCX and CDCnet problem

ucc@ecs.umass.edu (02/05/91)

We are running UCX v1.3A.  (The "A" if for a patch recommended
by CSC that was applied).  Our hardware is 2 6210s running
VMS 5.4, clustered.

We have an elusive problem, where at times, and not always
on the same node, when a user tries to access the VAXcluster with a
telnet process from a CDCnet device, (TDI) the user
gets the message "USER AUTHERIZATION FAILURE", after typing
in the password.  However the password is correct and not expired,
or preexpired.
Has any body any ideas about this situation?
Thank you!

k2@bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (02/06/91)

ucc@ecs.umass.edu writes:

>We are running UCX v1.3A.  (The "A" if for a patch recommended
>by CSC that was applied).  Our hardware is 2 6210s running
>VMS 5.4, clustered.

>We have an elusive problem, where at times, and not always
>on the same node, when a user tries to access the VAXcluster with a
>telnet process from a CDCnet device, (TDI) the user
>gets the message "USER AUTHERIZATION FAILURE", after typing
>in the password.  However the password is correct and not expired,
>or preexpired.
>Has any body any ideas about this situation?
I have no idea on the "USER AUTHORIZATIOn FAILURE", but we also
have trouble with CDCnet -> UCX1.3A

Our problem:
If somebody trys to connect from a CDCnet node to our VAX, the connection
sets up, but he get no prompt, until he/she types in a Break-character.
With some debugging, we found out, that the VAX doesn't respond immediately
with a login prompt, if the other side doesn't support the Terminal Type option
(as in CDCnet!). The prompt appears after some input, like a local
terminal. That dolt CDCnet isn't able to send a character at this stage,
only BREAK got it to send something! So there are two problems,
one side is UCX which barfs on a missing Terminal Type Option,
and CDCnet which isn't able to send at this stage.

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger
--
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende

kvc@thor.claremont.edu (Kevin V. Carosso) (02/07/91)

In article <12316.27ae98c0@ecs.umass.edu>, ucc@ecs.umass.edu writes:

>We have an elusive problem, where at times, and not always
>on the same node, when a user tries to access the VAXcluster with a
>telnet process from a CDCnet device, (TDI) the user
>gets the message "USER AUTHERIZATION FAILURE", after typing
>in the password.  However the password is correct and not expired,
>or preexpired.

In the past I've had exactly this problem when the client TELNET sends
line-feeds for end-of-line.  Implementations of TELNET client based on the
old Berkeley 4.2 code have a bug when binary mode is negotiated whereby
they end the line with LF instead of CR.  This causes your VMS username
and password to never validate.  This is not noticed on UNIX servers but
for a few editors that run in raw mode and get confused by such clients.

I've not experienced this problem with UCX, but that was because the
broken Berkeley TELNETs have all been replaced around here long before
UCX ever existed.

	/Kevin Carosso
	 Innosoft

spider@peano.zk3.dec.com (Spider Boardman OSG/CSSE) (02/13/91)

In article <k2.665828184@woodstock> k2@bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) writes:

>Our problem:
>If somebody trys to connect from a CDCnet node to our VAX, the connection
>sets up, but he get no prompt, until he/she types in a Break-character.
>With some debugging, we found out, that the VAX doesn't respond immediately
>with a login prompt, if the other side doesn't support the Terminal Type option
>(as in CDCnet!). The prompt appears after some input, like a local
>terminal. That dolt CDCnet isn't able to send a character at this stage,
>only BREAK got it to send something! So there are two problems,
>one side is UCX which barfs on a missing Terminal Type Option,
>and CDCnet which isn't able to send at this stage.

There is a patch available for this particular problem in UCX, which you should
be able to get from your Customer Support Center (CSC).  CDCnet I can't help
you with.
--
Spider Boardman					spider@decvax.dec.com
DEC OSG/CSSE					...!decvax!spider