[comp.os.vms] Is 2400 baud mnp class 5 worth it for interact wo

daparish@biivax.dp.beckman.com (02/16/91)

In article <2464@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:
> I am trying to decide if I should spend US$160 for an MNP class 5
> modem. I will use it mostly for interactive work over a phone line.
>
> I now use a 2400 modem with out MNP, and have okay luck. My line noise is low
> but not zero (spurious character about 1 in 100 at worst, 1 in 500 at best.)
>
> Has anybody recently gone to MNP and able to comment on the speedup I should
> expect? I expect the modem connection to be the limiting factor (On one end,
> a 286 running kermit terminal emulator, on the other end, TXA0, a terminal line
> on the vax.)
> Thanks in advance
> Chris Kushmerick kciremhsuK sirhC
> kushmer@bnlux0.bnl.gov    <===Try this one first
> kushmerick@pofvax.sunysb.edu

I have used a MICROCOM ax/2400c for several years now. I have also used the
AX9624c (v.29) modems extensively for large remote file transfer (VAx-vax)
although now I'd recommend using the v.32/v.42bis for high end use). I use it
regularly for interactive use and only wish that more host systems used MNP
modems. I can recommend MNP solely on the basis of interactive use. having to
do a fair  amount of online editing, it is well worth the security of knowing
that line noise wont introduce trash at some point and cause subsequent
problems... I dont think you will notice any significant difference in
throughput for MNP level 5.  If you are using Kermit for uploads (to VMS) this
will DEFINITELY be the limiting factor, regardless . Other software (such as
BLAST) will achieve somewhat higher throughput at higher MNP levels.

Of course, to achieve higher throughput, the serial port speed needs to be
configured at a higher speed than the connection. This means 2 things:
1
usually turn off autobaud (serial port doesnt adjust down to link speed).
2
flow control is reqd (usually xon/xoff), and therefore the software also should
be configured accordingly.

hope this of some help or at least some interest.