[comp.os.vms] Wanted: Motif window manager client for VMS

terryt@cs.athabascau.ca (Terry Tanski) (01/26/91)

I was wondering if anyone could supply me with the Motif window
manager client binary for VMS. I don't need and sources or libraries
just the binary.

     *********	  Terry Tanski, B.Sc.
    **********
   .      ****	  Athabasca University - Computing Services
  ..      ****	  Box 10,000
 ....     ****	  Athabasca, Alberta CANADA
..........****	  terryt@cs.AthabascaU.CA

taylort@decus.com.au (Trevor Taylor) (02/24/91)

In article <634@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca>, terryt@cs.athabascau.ca (Terry Tanski) writes:
> I was wondering if anyone could supply me with the Motif window
> manager client binary for VMS. I don't need and sources or libraries
> just the binary.

I've waited and waited for somebody to reply yo this posting, but
nothing ... So ... I decided to throw in my two cents worth.

Firstly, this request amounts to software piracy as it is written.
I am not starting a flame -- so please hear me out. I suspect that
the request comes more as a result of a lack of knowledge than a
deliberate attempt to "acquire" software illegally.

Now to the technical issues:
There are two versions of mwm currently available from DEC:
	1) V1.0 mwm
	2) V1.1 mwm

The first of these is an enormous image because it was linked
with a set of object libraries for Motif. It has a number of serious
deficiencies.

The second one will not run without the shared libraries that make
up Motif, and so requesting the mwm binary makes no sense.

In either case, there is a PAK to be installed. I don't really
know if mwm uses LMF, so it may or may not run without the PAK.

Motif will become part of VMS DECwindows in Version 3.0 which is
due out later this year. At the moment, you have to buy the kit.
If you wait, and you are on maintenance, you will get it for free.
I don't know how DEC will handle all the licence fees due to
OSF for this, but that is their problem. Interestingly, all new
VAXstations now come with a Motif PAK.

My suggestion is to wait, unless you have itchy fingers :-)

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*    Trevor Taylor               E-Mail: TaylorT@decus.com.au        */
/*    P.O. Box 155                        T.Taylor@praxa.com.au       */
/*    Aspley 4034                 Phone:  +(61) 7 369-8100            */
/*    Australia                   Fax:    +(61) 7 369-0722            */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (02/25/91)

>> I was wondering if anyone could supply me with the Motif window
>> manager client binary for VMS.

>Firstly, this request amounts to software piracy as it is written.

How so?  The post didn't explicitly ask for the OSF's Motif toolkit.  Unless
I'm confused, "Motif" is a way things look, not a product.  NCD's latest
software sticks a non-OSF mwm into the server, as I understand.

In MDDT no one can hear you scream

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.003901.2719@convex.com> datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>>> I was wondering if anyone could supply me with the Motif window
>>> manager client binary for VMS.
>
>>Firstly, this request amounts to software piracy as it is written.
>
>How so?  The post didn't explicitly ask for the OSF's Motif toolkit.  Unless
>I'm confused, "Motif" is a way things look, not a product.  NCD's latest
>software sticks a non-OSF mwm into the server, as I understand.

Yes, but NCDwm is *not* mwm.  He asked for the *Motif* window manager
binary.  That strikes me as pretty explicit.  But, if all he wants is
something that looks like mwm, why not gwm using the Motif configuration?

--
Kaleb Keithley                        kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

As of right now, I'm in charge here now...                  Alexander Haig.
Voodoo Economics, that's what it is, voodoo economics.      George Bush

taylort@decus.com.au (Trevor Taylor) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.003901.2719@convex.com>, datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>>> I was wondering if anyone could supply me with the Motif window
>>> manager client binary for VMS.
>
>>Firstly, this request amounts to software piracy as it is written.
>
> How so?  The post didn't explicitly ask for the OSF's Motif toolkit.  Unless
> I'm confused, "Motif" is a way things look, not a product.  NCD's latest
> software sticks a non-OSF mwm into the server, as I understand.

PLEASE NOTE: I do *NOT* want to start a great debate here!

I would like to hear some comment from OSF on this. The mwm that
DEC sells most certainly came from OSF sources. There is a royalty
due for the toolkit, and mwm definitely uses the toolkit. However,
my understanding is that application developers do not have to
pay any royalty so long as they do not distribute the toolkit.
So is mwm a DEC application or does it belong to OSF???

With that I bow out of the discussion ... :-)

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (02/27/91)

taylort@decus.com.au (Trevor Taylor) writes:
|> I would like to hear some comment from OSF on this. The mwm that
|> DEC sells most certainly came from OSF sources. There is a royalty
|> due for the toolkit, and mwm definitely uses the toolkit. However,
|> my understanding is that application developers do not have to
|> pay any royalty so long as they do not distribute the toolkit.
|> So is mwm a DEC application or does it belong to OSF???

Under the terms of the license, shipping mwm requires a binary royalty
payment, if it is derived from our sources.
--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks