[comp.os.vms] VMS xlsfonts equivelent??

nosmo@eiffel.UUCP (Vince Kraemer) (02/01/91)

This one should be a quickie:

What is the VMS equivelent for the UNIX command xlsfonts on a VAXStation
running DECWindows?

(Or if there isn't: How can I determine the available fonts on my machine,
short of writing a q&d xlsfonts from scratch?)

Thanks,
Vince Kraemer
nosmo@eiffel.com

taylort@decus.com.au (Trevor Taylor) (02/24/91)

In article <491@eiffel.UUCP>, nosmo@eiffel.UUCP (Vince Kraemer) writes:
> This one should be a quickie:
>
> What is the VMS equivelent for the UNIX command xlsfonts on a VAXStation
> running DECWindows?

There is no equivalent. xlsfonts is available from the DECUS Library
on the X Clients and Demos tape (order no. VS100).

> (Or if there isn't: How can I determine the available fonts on my machine,
> short of writing a q&d xlsfonts from scratch?)

You could also look in the directories pointed to by DECW$FONT.
Use SHOW LOGICAL DECW$FONT/TABLE=* to get the translation. This
will show you were the snf files are, but then you are on your own.

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/*    Trevor Taylor               E-Mail: TaylorT@decus.com.au        */
/*    P.O. Box 155                        T.Taylor@praxa.com.au       */
/*    Aspley 4034                 Phone:  +(61) 7 369-8100            */
/*    Australia                   Fax:    +(61) 7 369-0722            */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/

drew@sunrise.com (Drew Jenkins) (02/27/91)

In article <8737.27c84e1e@decus.com.au> taylort@decus.com.au (Trevor Taylor) writes:
>In article <491@eiffel.UUCP>, nosmo@eiffel.UUCP (Vince Kraemer) writes:
>> This one should be a quickie:
>>
>> What is the VMS equivelent for the UNIX command xlsfonts on a VAXStation
>> running DECWindows?
>>

>There is no equivalent. xlsfonts is available from the DECUS Library
>on the X Clients and Demos tape (order no. VS100).

I trick I use to get an "xlsfonts" listing for a VAXstation is to kick
off an xterm running on one of the unix platforms on our network and
have the display appear on the VAXstation. If you run xlsfonts on
the xterm on the VAXstation, you will get a listing of your available
fonts.

Of course this is only viable if have an available unix platform on
your network and you have some sort of TCP/IP available on the VAXstation.

Drew Jenkins
drew@sunrise.com