[comp.os.vms] Need help restoring old VAX SIG tapes in unknown format

ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (03/28/91)

	I am trying to convert an old DECUS VAX SIG tape into a readable format.
It looks like a predecessor to BACKUP was used.  I have looked at the files and
there is a 'BACKUP' string followed by the directory and name of the file.  After
that there is the file itself.  These files are named something.CON on the tape.
There is a restore.com on the tape used to restore the files.  If anyone has
any idea what the format of .CON files are and how to restore them, let me know.
Here is part of the restore.com for reference.

Earle
Dayton DECUS LUG Librarian

$!Procedure to build VAX Sig Spring 1981 Library from Tape
$!
$! Tape must be allocated with logical name RSTTAP
$! Files and Subdirectories are put in current directory.
$!
$ D1:='F$DIRECTORY()
$ D2='F$LENGTH(D1)'-1
$ ROOT_DIR:='F$EXTRACT(0,D2,D1)
$ BACK_TO_ROOT:=SET DEFAULT 'D1
$ DISMOUNT/NOUNLOAD RSTTAP:
$ MOUNT/NOWRITE RSTTAP: VAXS81		! TO REWIND TAPE
$
$ SHOW DEFAULT
$ BACK_TO_ROOT
$
$ COPY RSTTAP:AAAREADME.DOC *
$ COPY RSTTAP:AAAREADME.RNO *
$ COPY RSTTAP:RESTORE.COM *
$ COPY RSTTAP:TAPEBUILD.COM *
$ COPY RSTTAP:MTCOPY.EXE *
$ COPY RSTTAP:TPCPY.EXE *
$
$ CREATE/DIRECTORY 'ROOT_DIR'.ACCNTNG]
$ SET DEFAULT [.ACCNTNG]
$ SHOW DEFAULT
$ MCR RST *.*;*/FR=RSTTAP:ACCNTNG.CON
$ BACK_TO_ROOT

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.115334.1549@dayton.saic.com>, ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
> [...]
> There is a restore.com on the tape used to restore the files.  If anyone has
> any idea what the format of .CON files are and how to restore them, let me know.
> Here is part of the restore.com for reference.

  Well, on my V5.4-1 8650, MCR RST gives me a "RST>" prompt. I'd suspect your
tapes were written when VMS consisted mainly of the exec plus the RSX-11 util-
ities. Just find yourself a VAX with the VAX RSX package installed and you
should be all set...

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381