[comp.os.vms] Multi-host SCSI?

mcintosh@decus.com.au (04/04/91)

We are interested in buying SCSI controllers to go in a dual-host 3400. CMD
claim their CQD-240 controller is equivalent to DSSI in that it lets both CPUs
have direct connections to SCSI disks.

I am a bit concerned about VMS and VAXcluster software support for this
configuration. To my understanding VMS does not support SCSI as a cluster
interconnect. The only interconnects are CI, NI and DSSI. So how can CMD do it?

Is there anyone out there using these controllers in a multi-host environment,
as opposed to a single CPU disk and tape controller?

Robert McIntosh		mcintosh@decus.com.au
Australia Post

mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) (04/04/91)

In article <9962.27fb325f@decus.com.au>, mcintosh@decus.com.au writes:
>We are interested in buying SCSI controllers to go in a dual-host 3400. CMD
>claim their CQD-240 controller is equivalent to DSSI in that it lets both CPUs
>have direct connections to SCSI disks.
>
>I am a bit concerned about VMS and VAXcluster software support for this
>configuration. To my understanding VMS does not support SCSI as a cluster
>interconnect. The only interconnects are CI, NI and DSSI. So how can CMD do it?
>
>Is there anyone out there using these controllers in a multi-host environment,
>as opposed to a single CPU disk and tape controller?
>
>Robert McIntosh		mcintosh@decus.com.au
>Australia Post

I've been talking to CMD recently with regard to getting their BI bus SCSI
interface.  I noted their claim too in an advertisement and asked them about
it.  It was explained to me as such: They use the LAVC software apparently,
fooling it somewhat.  Currently, although disk access between the two hosts
are done through the SCSI interface, locking is still sent over an ethernet.
They claim to be working on this so that everything goes over the SCSI bus.
They seem very serious when talking about it that it does indeed work.  I
am not currently in a position to test it, just my $.02 worth.
Michael F. Santangelo                 + Inet: mike@uc780.umd.edu
VMS / UNIX Systems                    +       mike@socrates.umd.edu
Academic Computing UMUC               + Bnet: MIKE@UC780
(The University of Maryland,          +       MIKE@UMUC (not visited often)
 University College)                  +<Your clever net-phrase here>