[comp.os.vms] Interfacing a Commodore 64 with a VAX/VMS

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (04/05/91)

In <9104032040.AA08669@covax.co.iup.edu>, student@COVAX.CO.IUP.EDU writes:
>     Now for my question: Is it possible to connect a Commodore 64 to
>a VAX for downloading files?  I'd like to transfer files at 112,000 or
>so baud, a speed which seems to be the maximum for the VAX in my
>XMODEM documentation.

   Yowza.
   First off, plan to go at 2400 tops (I've heard of 9600 if you use
  Geoffrey Welsh's IO routines in some terminal program somewhere; I
  haven't heard of anything using them other than DesTerm).
  The Vax isn't the limiting speed, the 64 is.

   Also, answering a question like this can be site dependent. You
  need to get a terminal program for your 64 (I assume you've built a
  null-modem since you mention using a direct line) that has some kind
  of transfer capability. You'll probably find xmodem everywhere, or
  maybe get a copy of the kermit that was written for the 64.
   As far as the Vax you're on goes, ask your manager where they've
  put kermit or xmodem (whichever you have or were able to get for
  your 64).
   Then get the Vax to send the file (maybe something like XMODEM SEND
  BLAH.TXT), and then start the receive on your 64. (Check HELP XMODEM
  on the Vax, and whatever help or docs that came with your term for
  the 64, for more info on how to do this exactly with what you're
  using.)

   Hope this helps .. not remarkably specific, but hopefully it'll
  clear up some of the grey spots.
--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone