[comp.os.vms] Need BA40A-AA VS2000 System Expansion Adapters

marcus@cpva.saic.com (Mark Jenkins, (619) 458-2794) (04/09/91)

I have two VAXstation 2000s for which I need "System Expansion Adapters", part
number BA40A-AA.  These little suckers went for about $1200 list price on DECs
1989 price lists.  They do nothing but provide external 'SCSI-like' bus
connectons for external disk and/or tape units on VAXstation 2000s.  Any
pointers to sources for this part would be appreciated - I already have a used
equipment vendor searching for them as well.  I would prefer as low an
aquisition cost as possible...

I have already purchased internal disk drives and external tape drives for
these VAXstations on the used market, but was unaware of the requirement for
the expansion adapter.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Mark Jenkins, SAIC         CPVA::Marcus - SPAN    [28119::Marcus]
Marcus@CPVA.SAIC.COM or Marcus%CPVA.SPAN@sds.sdsc.edu (elsewhere)

davidc@montagar.lonestar.org (David L. Cathey, SYSOP) (04/09/91)

In article <5453.28004242@cpva.saic.com>, marcus@cpva.saic.com (Mark Jenkins, (619) 458-2794) writes:
> I have two VAXstation 2000s for which I need "System Expansion Adapters", part
> number BA40A-AA.  These little suckers went for about $1200 list price on DECs
> 1989 price lists.  They do nothing but provide external 'SCSI-like' bus
> connectons for external disk and/or tape units on VAXstation 2000s.  Any
> pointers to sources for this part would be appreciated - I already have a used
> equipment vendor searching for them as well.  I would prefer as low an
> aquisition cost as possible...

	You might try Kimberly Electronics.  I bought an RD54-FA clone
(BA40A-AA-like box w/Maxtor XT2190 drive) for about $2,200.  You should get
under DEC's price from them.

> --
> Mark Jenkins, SAIC         CPVA::Marcus - SPAN    [28119::Marcus]
> Marcus@CPVA.SAIC.COM or Marcus%CPVA.SPAN@sds.sdsc.edu (elsewhere)
David L. Cathey		                |INET: davidc@montagar.lonestar.org
Don't blame me!  I voted for Bill and   |UUCP: ...!texsun!montagar!davidc
Opus for President!  Ack!  Thhrrptt!    |Fone: (214)-618-2117

lennartb@lne.kth.se (Lennart Brjeson @ KTH, Stockholm) (04/09/91)

In article <5453.28004242@cpva.saic.com>, marcus@cpva.saic.com (Mark Jenkins, (619) 458-2794) writes:
>I have two VAXstation 2000s for which I need "System Expansion Adapters", part
>number BA40A-AA.  These little suckers went for about $1200 list price on DECs
>1989 price lists.  They do nothing but provide external 'SCSI-like' bus
>connectons for external disk and/or tape units on VAXstation 2000s.  Any
>pointers to sources for this part would be appreciated - I already have a used
>equipment vendor searching for them as well.  I would prefer as low an
>aquisition cost as possible...
>
>I have already purchased internal disk drives and external tape drives for
>these VAXstations on the used market, but was unaware of the requirement for
>the expansion adapter.

Buy some flat cable and connectors and make your your own cable. The internal
power supply has just barely enough power to allow you to connect an external
drive to the internal supply too. Works for me, but no guarantee!

>Thanks in advance for any help!
>
>--
>Mark Jenkins, SAIC         CPVA::Marcus - SPAN    [28119::Marcus]
>Marcus@CPVA.SAIC.COM or Marcus%CPVA.SPAN@sds.sdsc.edu (elsewhere)
!++
! Lennart Boerjeson, System Manager
! School of Electrical Engineering
! Royal Institute of Technology
! S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
! tel: int+46-8-7907814
! Internet: lennartb@lne.kth.se
!--

marcus@cpva.saic.com (Mark Jenkins, (619) 458-2794) (04/10/91)

(619) 458-2794) writes:

> I have two VAXstation 2000s for which I need "System Expansion Adapters", part
..
> equipment vendor searching for them as well.  I would prefer as low an
> aquisition cost as possible...
..

I recently posted this request for a source for BA40A-AAs.  I received some
private mail with suggested vendors of used equipment, equivalent equipment, as
well as some comments along the lines of "might as well build your own".

Many thanks to all those who responded with these suggestions.  Since I require
a standard DEC maintainable configuration for these systems I have not opted
for the "roll your own" route although this is very feasible given what little
the BA40A-AA really does.  However, I received a great price per unit as well
as a great price for the entire configuration in question from Eli Heffron &
Sons.  They were recommended by EKLUND@uazhep.physics.arizona.edu, who added
"The ad was in "The Processor" which a lot of used equipment vendors advertise
in (not just DEC gear)."

I am in the process of re-ordering the configuration from Eli Heffron & Sons
due to their better than 20% price savings over the configuration from the
original vendor.  The BA40A-AAs, while still not give-away, were much more
attractively priced than from anywhere else.

Heffron can be reached at 617-547-4005 , FAX 617-354-1417.

I own no stock or controlling interest, just surprised at their prices.  No
idea as to the quality of service, etc.