[comp.os.vms] DECUS election ethics - LDEC

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (04/28/91)

> Posting of opinions on this issue to comp.os.vms (a mistake not made by Bob,
> but others have done so) is inappropriate too.

Why?  Are these newsgroups responsible in some way for running elections?  I
fail to see why posting opinions in various related newsgroups is
'inappropriate'.  Please elucidate your reasoning for the 'statement of fact'
above.  If things had NOT been cross-posted, I, for one, would be completely
unaware of the situation which has arisen -- not all of us subscribe to
comp.org.decus.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

cfraizer@indiana.edu (colin fraizer) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr28.114603.1@simvax.labmed.umn.edu> davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu writes:
[stuff deleted]
>above.  If things had NOT been cross-posted, I, for one, would be completely
>unaware of the situation which has arisen -- not all of us subscribe to
>comp.org.decus.
[more stuff deleted]

You're absolutely right: not all of us subscribe to comp.org.decus.
Those of us who _care_ about situations that arise in the
organization, however, should subscribe to that group.  If the readers
of this group cared about the inner workings of Decus, we'd subscribe
too.

Before you get out your flamethrowers, yes, I am aware that not
everyone is reading this as a newgroup, but that it is gatewayed to a
mailing list.  If there is interest in a Decus mailing list, create
one.  I prefer that comp.os.vms (and info-vax for that matter) not be
cluttered with Decus politics.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Colin Fraizer				           Network Applications
University Computing Services		           cfraizer@indiana.edu
Indiana University, USA			                 (812) 855-7385
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

jms@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (Joel M Snyder) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr28.114603.1@simvax.labmed.umn.edu>, davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu writes...
>> Posting of opinions on this issue to comp.os.vms (a mistake not made by Bob,
>> but others have done so) is inappropriate too.
>
>If things had NOT been cross-posted, I, for one, would be completely
>unaware of the situation which has arisen -- not all of us subscribe to
>comp.org.decus.

Your reasoning is fallacious.  The reason that we have multiple news
groups is so that one only has to listen to information one wants to.
There are many, many things you don't know because they haven't been
posted to comp.os.vms, and this is no reason to post them.  If you're
interested in DECUS elections, then you should subscribe to comp.org.decus.
If you're interested in motorsports, then subscribe to rec.bikers (or
whatever it is).  The fact that a broad majority of the readers of one
group overlaps the broad majority of another constituency seems to bring
out this annoying, and perverse, tendency.  Posters who wish to avoid
being known as "bandwidth wasters" should consider the ANNOUNCED readership
of a newsfroup, (i.e., people who care about vax/vms) rather than the
COINCIDENTAL readership (i.e., people who care about vax/vms are likely
to be members of DECUS, and thus are likely to care about DECUS matters,
even if there is a whole group dedicated to DECUS matters).

In fact, this posting would have been better directed to an imaginary group,
comp.os.vms.d, which would discuss postings in comp.os.vms (rather than
discussing matters of substance, such as how I reset this darn new mail
count).

jms

Joel M Snyder, The Mosaic Group, 627 E Speedway, 85705  Phone: 602.626.8680
(University of Arizona, Dep't of MIS, Eller Graduate School of Management)
BITNET: jms@arizmis  Internet: jms@mis.arizona.edu  SPAN: 47541::uamis::jms
"Son, all fat women are horny." - Mark Parity (parity@comm.com)

oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov (05/01/91)

In article <29APR91231050@misvax.mis.arizona.edu>, jms@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (Joel M Snyder) writes:
> Your reasoning is fallacious.  The reason that we have multiple news
> groups is so that one only has to listen to information one wants to.
> There are many, many things you don't know because they haven't been
> posted to comp.os.vms, and this is no reason to post them.  If you're
> interested in DECUS elections, then you should subscribe to comp.org.decus.
> If you're interested in motorsports, then subscribe to rec.bikers (or
> whatever it is).  The fact that a broad majority of the readers of one
> group overlaps the broad majority of another constituency seems to bring
> out this annoying, and perverse, tendency.  Posters who wish to avoid
> being known as "bandwidth wasters" should consider the ANNOUNCED readership
> of a newsfroup, (i.e., people who care about vax/vms) rather than the
> COINCIDENTAL readership (i.e., people who care about vax/vms are likely
> to be members of DECUS, and thus are likely to care about DECUS matters,
> even if there is a whole group dedicated to DECUS matters).

The reasoning is not entirely fallacious. comp.os.vms is gatewayed to info-vax
where at least several hundred people with an interest in DECUS issues can be
reached. These people don't have access to network news and no access to this
group.

I haven't made up my mind as to which side of this argument I think is right,
but there is room for debate.

R. Kevin Oberman			Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov		(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything. Especially
anything gnu.