[comp.os.vms] What type of printer is the best for...

david@lrc.edu (04/25/91)

I have a few question about what type of printer I would need.  This
printer will be used in an Academic Computer lab and most of the use is for
papers and so the print need to be of good quality (because after reading
about 20+ papers of poor quality it starts to take its toll. 8-) ).  I
don't want the printer to be to fast because when someone prints a 50+ page
paper, and then decides add a sentence on the 10th page; I would like to be
able to stop the job.  Here is what our needs are.

1) A printer that can use fanfold(sp?) computer paper.
2) Has a serial port.
3) Can be used with a PCSA network.
4) The printer ribbon will last about a month or 1000+ pages.
5) Can handle constant use. (*This is the most important*)

Right now we have a LA120, it uses a ribbon once a week, and eats more
paper then it prints.  It may be we have some poor ribbons.  How about some
ideas on ribbons as well.

Thanks...
David J. Link                 UUCP: lrc!david@mcnc.org
Lenoir-Rhyne College          or    david@lrc.edu
Hickory, NC  28603 (USA)      I make no claims, but God does.

crobw@cc.curtin.edu.au (05/03/91)

In article <20.2816d107@lrc.edu>, david@lrc.edu writes:
> able to stop the job.  Here is what our needs are.
>
> 1) A printer that can use fanfold(sp?) computer paper.
> 2) Has a serial port.
> 3) Can be used with a PCSA network.
> 4) The printer ribbon will last about a month or 1000+ pages.
> 5) Can handle constant use. (*This is the most important*)

Try to find a dealer for FACIT printers. These Swedish designed, Japanese made
printers are available with (optional) Digital emulation ROMs. They are rugged,
easy to set up, and the ribbon lasts for along time.
| Rob Wright                |psi%050529452300070:Wright_RJ                    |
| Curtin University         |Wright_RJ@cc.curtin.edu.au                       |
| Perth, Western Australia  |Wright_RJ@cc.cut.oz.au                           |
| Voice:+61 9 351 7385      |Wright_RJ%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet         |
| FAX:     09-351-2673      |uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!Wright_RJ      |