[comp.os.vms] Putting a modem on a LAT server

Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) (05/17/91)

I would like to attach a modem to our DECserver 200/mc, for the
purposes of dialing out, and have some questions regarding this...

The physcial connections I can handle ok, but my concern is how to
use VMS to tell them modem to dial out? Dialing in is no problem,
but things seem to work a little differently the other way
around.

For example, when I connect to VMS thru our LAT, I can do a
$ show users/full bill
and itll show me, for example, that my device is LAT32, but each
time I log into the LAT, the device changes...

I am wondering if there is a way to specify which port, such as
LAT3 for port three? But then that doesnt fit with the above. LAT32 is
physcially connected to port 1.

And how to tell VMS which device. What I would like to do login from my
terminal, and do a set host command thru VMS to connect to port 3.

Thanx for any info

Billy D'Augustine
Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com

westerm@aclcb.purdue.edu (Rick Westerman) (05/18/91)

>Billy D'Augustine (Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com) writes:
>
>I would like to attach a modem to our DECserver 200/mc, for the
>purposes of dialing out, and have some questions regarding this...

I had constant trouble with this until I upgraded (last week) to
VMS 5.4-2 and LAT 5.4-2.  The new LAT allows you to specify outgoing
(from the VAX) connections to LAT services; e.g., the VAX can act like
a terminal server. Once you setup the VAX via LAT to be a terminal server,
you can then do a "set host/lat service_name" to get to the service.

Pre-LAT 5.4-2 you could, in theory, have an outgoing connection that
would go to a specified terminal server and a specified port on the
terminal server. Because I was using non-DEC terminal servers, the server's
name was not being accepted by the VAX (or not being generated properly
by the terminal server, I could never figure out which machine was the
culprit) and thus I couldn't connect to the outgoing modems from my VAXen.

Try using LATCP to setup outgoing connections and if that doesn't work,
upgrade to 5.4-2.

-- Rick

Rick Westerman                System Manager of the AIDS Center Laboratory
westerm@aclcb.purdue.edu      for Computational Biochemistry (ACLCB), BCHM
(317) 494-0505                bldg., Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN 47907

                If you can't fight or flee, then flow.

westerm@aclcb.purdue.edu (Rick Westerman) (05/18/91)

Having answered (I hope) Billy D'Augustine's question about connecting
an outgoing modem to the VAX via an terminal server, I have a related question
for the *true* experts out there.

I wish to make my outgoing Hayes compatible modems be 'dial-back' modems.
E.g., my users would like to dial in to an incoming-to-the-VAX modem, login,
and then run a script which would then call them back via an outgoing-to-
the-VAX modem. The point behind this is to have the VAX absorb any long
distance telephone charges instead of the user doing so. However, I can't
get this scheme to work. I can use 'set host/lat' to connect to the
outgoing modem and dial out manually, but the 'set host' program doesn't
seem to take any commands from a DCL script. Am I missing something obvious
here? Also, I have a DCL script (DIALOUT.COM) from Kevin Oberman (LLNL)
which is suppose do a call back scheme using direct connect modems (which
I don't have -- is it a sign of the times that I don't have any serial lines
on my computers any more?) and I can't get the terminal-server-modems to
work with it either.

Any help/advice/hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,

coburn@clo.enet.dec.com (John T. Coburn) (05/18/91)

In article <00948BEE.E7AC8EA0@aclcb.purdue.edu>, westerm@aclcb.purdue.edu (Rick Westerman) writes...
:
[...]

There is an ASSETS program that is available from DEC called ACB
(AutoCallBack). Have your salesperson get you information on this package. It
supports modems on direct lines and terminal servers.

:Thanks,
:
:-- Rick
:
:Rick Westerman                System Manager of the AIDS Center Laboratory
:westerm@aclcb.purdue.edu      for Computational Biochemistry (ACLCB), BCHM
:(317) 494-0505                bldg., Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN 47907
:
:                If you can't fight or flee, then flow.

John Coburn                             !Email:
Digital Equipment Corporation           ! coburn@clovax.enet.dec.com   -or-
Digital Services, Consulting Services 	! coburn%clovax.enet@decwrl.dec.com
Cleveland, Ohio                         ! ...!decwrl!clovax.enet!coburn

karcher@toron.waisman.wisc.edu (05/19/91)

In a previous article, westerm@aclcb.purdue.edu (Rick Westerman) wrote:

>I wish to make my outgoing Hayes compatible modems be 'dial-back' modems...

You might want to consider that you should be able to buy a dialback modem
for under $300. We use Multi-tech MT224E7B's which have a dialback feature in
firmware that works very reliably. I used to play around with dialback scripts
too and never found them very reliable. If you spend a few days to get a
dialback script to work, you could have bought a dialback modem. Of course this
comparison depends on how your organization values staff time (and how many
dialback modems are needed). Just a thought.

Carl Karcher                          Internet: KARCHER@WAISMAN.WISC.EDU
Waisman Center                        Bitnet:   KARCHER@WISCMACC
University of Wisconsin-Madison       PSTnet:   (608) 263-5896

danmc@txsil.lonestar.org (Dan McDonald) (05/21/91)

In article <42405@cup.portal.com> Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com (William Thomas Daugustine) writes:

>I would like to attach a modem to our DECserver 200/mc, for the
>purposes of dialing out, and have some questions regarding this...
>
>The physcial connections I can handle ok, but my concern is how to
>use VMS to tell them modem to dial out? Dialing in is no problem,
>but things seem to work a little differently the other way
>around.
>
>For example, when I connect to VMS thru our LAT, I can do a
>$ show users/full bill
>and itll show me, for example, that my device is LAT32, but each
>time I log into the LAT, the device changes...
>
>I am wondering if there is a way to specify which port, such as
>LAT3 for port three? But then that doesnt fit with the above. LAT32 is
>physcially connected to port 1.

The setup is a little convoluted, but it can be done.  Basically, you set up
your modems just like printers.  This is done from LTLOAD.COM
(LAT$SYSTARTUP.COM if you are running LATmaster).  For example, I have the
following lines in my LAT$SYSSTARTUP.COM file -
$ lcp := $latcp
$ lcp           !start image and feed it commands
! Enable LAT server mode and user groups.
SET NODE ALPHA /identification="DALLAS uVAX 3600"/connections=both/service
CREATE PORT/APPLICATION/LOGICAL=(TABLE=SYSTEM,MODE=EXEC,NAME=DIAL)/nolog
!this is a modem
CREATE PORT/APPLICATION/LOGICAL=(TABLE=SYSTEM,MODE=EXEC,NAME=SWBELL_1)/nolog
!this is a modem
CREATE PORT/APPLICATION/LOGICAL=(TABLE=SYSTEM,MODE=EXEC,NAME=SWBELL_2)/nolog
!this is a modem
SET PORT        DIAL            /APPL /node=HNT500 /SERVICE=DL.MOD24 -
                                /noqueue /NOLOG
SET PORT        SWBELL_1        /APPL /node=HNT500 /SERVICE=DL.MOD24 -
                                /noqueue /NOLOG
SET PORT        SWBELL_2        /APPL /node=HNT500 /SERVICE=DL.MOD24 -
                                /noqueue /NOLOG

Before we had LAT master I defined logical names for these ports as follows:
define/sys/exec DIAL LTA9200:
define/sys/exec SWBELL_1 lta9201:
define/sys/exec swbell_2 lta9202:
and used similar commands in LTLOAD.com

These ports can be used with SET HOST/DTE, KERMIT, DECUS UUCP, Alisa's EASYLINK
CONNECTION and probably a bunch more.

I also use SET HOST/LAT fairly often, but that doesn't help when you are trying
to set up UUCP.

>And how to tell VMS which device. What I would like to do login from my
>terminal, and do a set host command thru VMS to connect to port 3.

If you have a service set up on the terminal server, you can do:
>Thanx for any info
>
>Billy D'Augustine
>Azog-Thoth@cup.portal.com

Dan McDonald                    * UUCP          ...letni!txsil!dalsil!mcdonald
Summer Institute of Linguistics * Internet  mcdonald@dallas.sil.org
Dallas Computer Services        *   -OR-    danmc@txsil.lonestar.org
7500 W Camp Wisdom Rd           * SILnet    DAN.MCDONALD@A1@DALLAS
Dallas, TX 75236                * POTSnet   (214)709-3389
USA                             * FAXnet    (214)709-3387