[comp.os.vms] Reading a VMS BACKUP saveset on a unix machine.

gcook@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Gordon Cook) (06/05/91)

I have a BACKUP saveset written on a 9-track tape on VMS version 4.7.
I would like to be able to read the files on SunOs 4.0.3.  Most of the
individual files are fixed-length ascii files.

If anyone has done this or, better still, knows of a utility to do
this, please let me know.
--
Gordon J. Cook	"I'd rather be reading Vogon poetry."
Internet:	gcook@credit.erin.utoronto.ca

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.191701.6267@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, gcook@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Gordon Cook) writes:

> I have a BACKUP saveset written on a 9-track tape on VMS version 4.7.
> I would like to be able to read the files on SunOs 4.0.3.  Most of
> the individual files are fixed-length ascii files.

> If anyone has done this or, better still, knows of a utility to do
> this, please let me know.

There is a program, called (surprise!) vmsbackup, which is advertised
as being capable of reading VMS backup tapes on UNIX.  In my experience
(which is not that extensive, but I have needed to do this a few times)
it works.  The README I have is dated 1987 and says

	This progam reads a VMS backuptape.

	The tape program is orginally written by John Douglas Carey and
	the pattern matching routine by some unknown on the net.

	The remote tape option use the rmtlib from mod.sources.

	A good way to archive remotetape access for users with only
	a local account is to create a "netwide" user tar and let
	the remote tape programs do suid to user tar.

	The program is tested on vax and sun.

	Sven-Ove Westberg
	Lulea University of Technology
	S-951 87  Lulea,  Sweden
	UUCP:  sow@luthcad.UUCP
	UUCP:  {decvax,philabs,seismo}!mcvax!enea!luthcad!sow

I don't know where to obtain it; if I wanted a fresh copy I'd ask
archie where to get it from.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu