[comp.os.vms] Need help interfacing NCR SCSI device to Vax

cts@dragon.com (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) (06/07/91)

I have an NCR tape drive (actually, its a Cipher F880 in an NCR box)
with a SCSI adapter.  I want to hook the system to an MV3100;  the
cables don't match.

Can anyone out there tell me were I could get a cable that would work,
or baring that, the pinouts on the NCR SCSI interface so I could
build the proper cable?

Thanks!!

Charles T. Smith, Jr.                       | "Beam me up, Scotty, there's no
cts@dragon.com                              |  intelligent life down here..."
gatech!emory!dragon!cts                     |

In article <1991Jun6.135312.513@dragon.com> cts@dragon.com (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) writes:
> I have an NCR tape drive (actually, its a Cipher F880 in an NCR box)
> with a SCSI adapter.  I want to hook the system to an MV3100;  the
> cables don't match.
>
> Can anyone out there tell me were I could get a cable that would work,
> or baring that, the pinouts on the NCR SCSI interface so I could
> build the proper cable?

The connector on the NCR thing should be the standard 50-pin Dual in-line
header connector.  You should be able to get a standard adapter cable
for this, assuming the MV3100 has standard SCSI?

I have one of these NCR adapters also, and would be interested in
getting a copy of any documentation, specifically listing of the
SCSI command set.

markp@ncrgb.london.ncr.uk (markp) (06/12/91)

In article <22327@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
[stuff deleted]

>The connector on the NCR thing should be the standard 50-pin Dual in-line
>header connector.  You should be able to get a standard adapter cable
>for this, assuming the MV3100 has standard SCSI?

Standard SCSI, now there's a novel idea :-)

john@ncrgb.london.ncr.uk (john) (06/12/91)

[stuff deleted]

>> Can anyone out there tell me were I could get a cable that would work,
>> or baring that, the pinouts on the NCR SCSI interface so I could
>> build the proper cable?

>The connector on the NCR thing should be the standard 50-pin Dual in-line
>header connector.  You should be able to get a standard adapter cable
>for this, assuming the MV3100 has standard SCSI?

[stuff deleted]

Just for info., there are two distinctly different SCSI interfaces, single-
ended and differential.  These are different electrically (voltage levels
essentially), but LOGICALLY are the same.

Make sure your SCSI host is the same (i.e. diff. or single-ended), or you
could a slight funcrional impass (i.e. bang sizzle, sizzle).

Apart from that, there are 3 different connectors, but all have the same
signals.  SCSI A-connectros, B and C.

'A' connectors look crude to modern eyes - not very technical I know, but
    can't think how to describe them.  NCR don't use these anymore.
'B' connectors look like large centronics plugs.  NCR PC925/PC386 use these.
'C' connectors are like miniature 'd' connectors.  NCR System 3000's use
    these.

You can get 'B' to 'C' converter cables - we've got one.

Hope this is of some general use.
--
John A. Oxlade             Phone: +44 71 725-8820      Fax: +44 71 725-8374
Group Leader,              Email: john.oxlade@London.NCR.UK