[comp.os.vms] File information from VMS

geckhard@ringer.cs.utsa.edu (Gary Eckhardt) (06/09/91)

Could anyone tell me if there is a slick way of getting a directories full of
file information, such as file name, size, date, etc, preferrably through
a run-time library?  I need to do this from a high level language such as
fortran, but I can't seem to find any RTL anywhere which will accomplish
this.  If the solution you have is RMS calls, please include some example
source code, as I am not experienced in programming the RMS libraries!

        Thanks!

Gary B. Eckhardt     Univ. Of Texas at San Antonio     geckhard@ringer.utsa.edu
"Phasers and Photon torpedoes are locked on, sir"
"Excellent, Mr. Worf.  You may fire at will."
"Firing...  Sensors report all strategic Iraqi positions are destroyed, sir"
"Captain, I sense a great sense of -- relief -- and joy on the planet..."
"That's good to hear, Counselor...Mr Crusher, set course for Beta-Alpha Psi,
  Warp Seven.."
"Course plotted, sir."
"Engage..."

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (06/10/91)

I have some MACRO code which uses the RMS $PARSE service to list the
contents of a directory (or a user-specified subset thereof), in order by
creation date.  The sorting-by-creation-date is internal to MY program; the
remainder of the program demonstrates use of RMS to pull up the directory
information you want.  Shall I post?

E-mail if interested, to

   Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com

rand@merrimack.edu (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun8.232439.5833@ringer.cs.utsa.edu>, geckhard@ringer.cs.utsa.edu (Gary Eckhardt) writes:

> Could anyone tell me if there is a slick way of getting a directories full of
> file information, such as file name, size, date, etc, preferrably through
> a run-time library?  I need to do this from a high level language such as
> fortran, but I can't seem to find any RTL anywhere which will accomplish
> this.  If the solution you have is RMS calls, please include some example
> source code, as I am not experienced in programming the RMS libraries!

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a code fragment to see if
a file is `placed'?

Rand P. Hall                    UUCP: {uunet,wang,ulowell}!samsung!hubdub!rand
Merrimack College           Internet:  rand@merrimack.edu
N. Andover, MA         I spend so much time doing nothing. Life's wasting away.