[comp.os.vms] SUMMARY: Remote ISDN Connection Wanted

cn@forty2.physik.unizh.ch (cn) (06/13/91)

Hi,

two weeks ago I asked, whether there exists a box which can be connected to an
ethernet, and provides isdn connections to VAXes and PCs connected to the
ethernet.

Several people sent me some information, for which I thank them very much:

	H.Durand	durand@bern01.enet.dec.com
	Marc Sheldon	ms@walhalla.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
	Toby Nixon	hayes!tnixon@relay.EU.net
	Barton F. Bruce	Barton.Bruce@camb.com
	thomas illies	illies@drnhh.neuhaus.de
	Jean-Marc	edgard@cao.gipsi.Fr
	Randall Redmon	redmon@hpcc34.corp.hp.com

You find below all messages I received (Message header shortened, inclusion
of original message often removed).

                  claudio (claudio@forty2.physik.unizh.ch)

Also: PSI%022847931125::TRZCL1::C_NIEDER, K538912@CZHRZU1A.BITNET
Claudio Nieder AST 3.944 (DW 6)                        | Tel: +41 1 465-2249
Alcatel STR AG, Friesenbergstrasse 75, CH-8055 Zuerich | Fax: +41 1 465-3525

From durand@bern01.enet.dec.com Mon Jun  3 17:59:39 1991
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 08:59:55 PDT
From: "DEC Bern, H.Durand  03-Jun-1991 1753" <durand@bern01.enet.dec.com>

Hi Claudio,

Maybee there is a solution.

DEC sells a 'box' called ISDN-router which is attached to an ethernet and
ISDN (Swissnet one). Two B and one D - channel are used (D - channel for
signalling, an the two B - channels are used for data). Here in Switzerland
the PTT uses the german profile for ISDN (1TR6). This profile will be changed
in the future. If you have questions, call me or your sales man
(Hans Rechsteiner 01/760 35 85).

Hans-Peter

From ms@walhalla.informatik.uni-dortmund.de Tue Jun  4 00:45:31 1991
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1991 22:38:45 +0000
From: Marc Sheldon <ms@walhalla.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>

Depends on what you plan on running over the Ethernet. If it is TCP/IP ... No
problem. If it is DECnet ... No idea. The TCP/IP stuff can be solved using
the software from a german company named BinTec in Nuernberg. They have
a software which puts TCP/IP on top of ISDN and behaves like any normal
router should. It works on UNIX-PC's and Sun Sparcstations. I also saw
an unfinished port of this software for MS-DOS. It worked but they still
had some problems to fix.

Regards,
	Marc

From hayes!tnixon@relay.EU.net Wed Jun  5 09:27:32 1991
Date: Mon,  3 Jun 91 17:22:47 EDT
From: Toby Nixon <hayes!tnixon@relay.EU.net>

Hayes Microcomputer Products manufacturers standalone ISDN terminal
adapters (we call it the ISDN System Adapter).  It has both V.35 and
EIA-232 (V.24/V.28) interface.  Thus, it can be used basically
anywhere you use a modem.  It doesn't include Ethernet bridge
functions, but if you had a bridge to which you could connect an
external modem, you could connect the ISDN System Adapter in its
place.  The "necessary software" is widely-available standard async
communications software, if you're going to use it for terminal
access.

If you'd like more information, let me know.

--
Toby Nixon, Principal Engineer    | Voice   +1-404-840-9200  Telex 151243420
Hayes Microcomputer Products Inc. | Fax     +1-404-447-0178  CIS   70271,404

From BRUCE@camb.com Wed Jun  5 07:50:34 1991
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1991 01:50 EDT
From: "Barton F. Bruce" <Barton.Bruce@camb.com>

I think MANY folks need this, and I am unaware of anything *yet*, but
there will be hardware soon.

What you really need is a central Enet bridge that takes an ISDN PRI
in and can support 23 or 31 seperate remotes on a B channel each.

Codex makes a box that is ~$5,000. that takes a T1 in and lets you
split it up to 24 ways (North American Digital format is 24, not 32
of the 64kb streams). That is by adding the ~$5,000. s/w package to it.
The same box can be run with a $800. software floppy an then it will
simply work on a 56/64kb DDS ckt. (as one of many tied to the 'smart'
version).

A minor change of software, and this is an ISDN HUB! Codex isn't talking about
unanounced products, but they are either stupid, or ...

The PC end would be a card that to the PC looks exactly like any
ethernet card and so works with DEC's PCSA s/w and even has a BNC connector
out the rear to share the remote ethernet with other colocated devices,
but truely is an ISDN based enet bridge connected by an ISDN connector also on
the rear.

This is what I have described to MANY companies as I ask "what do you have
like this?" I have gotten blank stares from stupid sales droids, and
knowing smiles from smart tech types that then say: "not allowed to
talk about unannounced products".

Plesae let me know what you find and/or post it!

Thanks,

Barton

From illies@drnhh.neuhaus.de Wed Jun  5 13:11:01 1991
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1991 11:04:04 +0000
From: thomas illies <illies@drnhh.neuhaus.de>

Hallo Claudio,

wir haben eine Art ISDN-Modem entwickelt, das mittels AT-Standard-Befehlen
("Hayes"-kompatibel) oder V.25bis angesprochen werden kann und nach dem
Herstellen der Verbindung entweder asynchon (Start-Stop-Betrieb) bis zu
38400 Baud oder synchron/anisochron bis zu 64000 Bit/s betrieben werden
kann. Die eigentliche ISDN-Intelligenz steckt in einem kleinen Steck-Modul
(Europakarten-Groesse: 10 x 16 x 2.54 cm), das aber standardmaessig in einem
Tischgehaeuse ("V.24"-Pegel ^= V.28-Pegel, DB25-Buchse) geliefert wird.
Das Modul selbst liefert TTL-Pegel an einer sogenannten "CEPT"-Schnittstelle
(96poliger Steckverbinder).

Dies Geraet passt an alle seriellen, asynchronen Schnittstellen.
Wir wickeln z.B. uucp ueber ein normales tty-device mit 38400 Baud auf der
drnhh ab. Ich kann mir vorstellen, dass das auch unter VMS so einzurichten
geht (ich verstehe leider zu wenig von VAXes).

Falls Interesse besteht, kann ich ja noch weitere Einzelheiten erzaehlen.

So long,
       Tom

--
+----------------------------------+------------------------------------------+
| Dr. Neuhaus Mikroelektronik GmbH | Thomas Illies                            |

From edgard@cao.gipsi.Fr Wed Jun  5 15:05:57 1991
Date: 05 Jun 91 14:00:34+0100
From: Jean-Marc_de_chez_Hackers_alias_ <edgard@cao.gipsi.Fr>

Hi Claudio,

> We would like to connect VAXes running VMS and PCs running MS-DOS to
> ISDN.
First question, does it work with a physical ethernet connection?

>  So we need a box which connects on an ethernet and on ISDN
>  and the necessary software for PCs and VAXes for accessing
> the ISDN lines through this box.
> Does such a box exist?
The answer is YES!

Hackers made a product wich do the connection between Ethernet and ISDN (at
this time, it works on french ISDN, called Numeris).
In fact, the box (115x290x310 mm) is constituted with two cards:
	#1 Ethernet to V35 (for datas) and to V24 (for command)
	#2 V35 to ISDN
The card #1 is made by Hackers and the card #2 is, today, made by Matra,
but if the standard is different over there, it seems possible to just
use the card #1 and, of course, replace the card #2 with one up to your
ISDN (i said *your*, because everybody talk about ISDN, but it seems
there are a lot :-).

It could be used as a black box (filter/program and Ifnet table downloadable),
automaticly opening connection (when recognizing an address in the Ifnet
table) and closing connection after a time out.

It could be used with commanded connection and deconnection.

Programs and commands could be gived to the box over ethernet (UDP frame)
or with a V24 serial line.

Regards,

/*       edgard@cao.gipsi.fr           Voice: (33) (1) 30 60 75 47 */
/* <- In stereo where available ->     Fax:   (33) (1) 30 60 75 90 */

PS: Please, forgive my awful english :-(

From redmon@hpcc34.corp.hp.com Thu Jun  6 23:09:03 1991
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 91 14:07:35 pdt
From: Randall Redmon <redmon@hpcc34.corp.hp.com>

Hello there,

There is a company called Network Express in Ann Arbor, Michigan, that
makes an ISDN bridge product that sounds like what you are looking for.

The box, call the NetXtend, has an ethernet LAN port for connecting to your
local hosts, and also BRI or PRI ports to talk to the ISDN network.  The box
can also accomodate Switched-56Kbps or standard T1 interfaces on the
network side.

Network Express can be reached at (313) 761-5005.  The address is:
2200 Green Road
Ann Arbor, MI  48105

Regards,

Randall Redmon

Randall W. Redmon
HP Corporate Telecommunications / Platform Engineering
redmon@hpcc34.corp.hp.com