[comp.os.vms] DECUS Questions Answered

ctp@pop.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (12/15/87)

*****Last modified 14-December-1987*****

There are a few basic questions that get asked from time to time that
indicate that people don't know much about DECUS and how to use its
services.  Monthly I post a list of answers to DECUS related questions
that may be of interest to the net.  If you have a suggestion on
something that should be added to this posting please let me know.
-----
Some basic answers to DECUS questions:

1) What does DECUS stand for and how do you pronounce it?

   Digital Equipment Computer Users Society

   The pronunciation is open for discussion.  My belief is that the
   correct way is DEE-CUS as opposed to DECK-US.

2) How can I contact DECUS?

   DECUS U.S. Chapter
   219 Boston Post Road, BP02
   Marlboro, Massachusetts  01752-1850

   (617) 480-3418

   or (in Canada)

   DECUS Canada
   15th Floor
   505 University Avenue
   Toronto, Ontario
   M5G 2H2

   (416) 597-3437

   DECUS can not, at present, be contacted electronically.

3) What services does DECUS provide its members?

   DECUS offers many services to its members.  Some of the more
   notable are:

   a) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Symposia, held twice each year. The next
      Symposium will be Cincinnati, Ohio, May 16-20, 1988.  If you
      can not attend, proceedings are available for these meetings
      (usually $15 per meeting).  DECUS Canada also holds symposia.
      Their next Symposium is in Toronto, Ontario, February 8-12, 1988.

   b) The DECUS Program Library, a VERY large collection of software
      for almost every computer DEC has ever made, which is available
      for essentially the cost of reproduction and distribution.  The
      current issue of the library catalog is the 1987/1988 edition.
      The catalog is available free of charge to DECUS members.

   c) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Newsletter, a monthly collection of the
      Special Interest Group Newsletters which is available on a
      yearly subscription basis ($35 annually).  Subscription
      information is available by calling (617) 480-3301.

   d) Regional Conferences, local users groups from time to time host
      DECUS mini-symposia focused on some subset of Digital products.
      An example is the Rocky Mountain VAX Local Users Group, Regional
      Conference, which will be held March 31 through April 1, 1988 at
      the Sheraton Denver Tech Center.  For more information contact
      Paula Sharick at (303) 499-5700.

   e) DECUSCOPE, a quarterly information publication sent free to all
      DECUS members.

   f) DECUS Merit Scholarship Program, a Merit Scholarship has been
      established to be awarded annually to a DECUS member or member's
      child.  For more information contact Ms. Paula Morin, (617)
      480-2355.

   g) Refereed Papers Competition, this competition allows DECUS
      members the opportunity of presenting an indepth discussion of
      the works they are performing to their fellow DECUS members.
      Papers are invited that portray the exciting and innovative work
      being performed by DECUS members in the computing arena.  For
      more information, call the DECUS U.S. Chapter Office at (617)
      480-3328.

    h) DECUServe, a teleconferencing systems using VAX Notes.  This
       system recently completed its test phase.  It will soon be
       available to all DECUS members by subscription.  It is the
       intent of this system to allow members of DECUS to interact
       with each other on a day-to-day basis.

4) What is a SIG?

   SIGs are Special Interest Groups.  There are many SIGs in DECUS.
   Some are: Artificial Intelligence, Business Applications, DAARC,
   Data Management, Datatrieve/4GL, EDUSIG, Graphics, Hardware,
   Micro, Languages and Tools, Large Systems, Networks, Office
   Automation, Personal Computer, RSTS, RSX, RT, Site Management &
   Training, UNISIG (UNIX, ULTRIX), and VAX Systems.

   SIGs sponsor sessions at symposia, publish newsletters and in other
   ways provide services to DECUS members interested in particular
   subsets of problems and applications of DEC computers and software.

5) What is a LUG?

   A LUG is a Local Users Group.  There are many LUGs throughout the
   U.S., Canada and the rest of the world (the current count is 147).
   LUGs usually are associated with one or more SIGs.  For example
   many LUGs deal with the problems of VAX systems only.  To find a
   LUG near you, contact the DECUS office.

6) How much does it cost to join DECUS and where can I get a
   membership form?

   Membership in DECUS is open to anyone and is FREE.  Membership
   forms may be obtained from the DECUS office, LUG's and the back of
   the Combined Newsletters. A LaTeX source for the form has been
   posted to the USENET newsgroup comp.org.decus and is available on
   request from the poster at any of the addresses below.

-----
Clyde T. Poole - Technical Coordinator, Facilities and Equipment (in real life)
 DECUS U. S. Chapter, Large Systems SIG, Newsletter Editor (in my spare time)
Univ. of Texas at Austin        ARPA/CSnet: ctp@sally.utexas.edu
Dept. of Computer Sciences      UUCP: {harvard,ihnp4,uunet}!ut-sally!ctp
Taylor Hall 2.124               BITNET: ctp@UTADNX
Austin, TX  78712-1188          VOICE: (512) 471-9551
      "Life is a bitch ... and then you die"

ctp@pop.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (01/15/88)

*****Last modified 11-January-1988*****

There are a few basic questions that get asked from time to time that
indicate that people don't know much about DECUS and how to use its
services.  Monthly I post a list of answers to DECUS related questions
that may be of interest to the net.  If you have something to add or a
correction to this posting, please let me know.
-----
Some basic answers to DECUS questions:

1) What does DECUS stand for and how do you pronounce it?

   Digital Equipment Computer Users Society

   The pronunciation is open for discussion.  My belief is that the
   correct way is DEE-CUS as opposed to DECK-US.

2) How can I contact DECUS?

   DECUS is made up of several "chapters."  You are required to join
   a chapter based on your place of residence.  All U.S. residents must
   join the U.S. Chapter:

       DECUS U.S. Chapter
       219 Boston Post Road, BP02
       Marlboro, Massachusetts  01752-1850

       (617) 480-3418

   All Canadian residents must join DECUS Canada:

       DECUS Canada
       15th Floor
       505 University Avenue
       Toronto, Ontario
       M5G 2H2

       (416) 597-3437

   DECUS can not, at present, be contacted electronically.

3) What services does DECUS provide its members?

   DECUS offers many services to its members.  Some of the more
   notable are:

   a) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Symposia, held twice each year. The next
      Symposium will be Cincinnati, Ohio, May 16-20, 1988.  If you
      can not attend, proceedings are available for these meetings
      (usually $15 per meeting).  DECUS Canada also holds symposia.
      Their next Symposium is in Toronto, Ontario, February 8-12, 1988
      (for a Canadian Symposium reqistration kit, call (416) 597-3462).

   b) The DECUS Program Library, a VERY large collection of software
      for almost every computer DEC has ever made, which is available
      for essentially the cost of reproduction and distribution.  The
      current issue of the library catalog is the 1987/1988 edition.
      The catalog is available free of charge to DECUS members.  More
      information can be obtained by calling (617) 480-3418.

[...]

Dept. of Computer Sciences      UUCP: {uunet,harvard,ihnp4}!ut-sally!ctp

ctp@pop.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (02/16/88)

*****Last modified 26-January-1988*****

[...]

      with the Mid-Year Addendum.  The catalog is available free of
[...]

   g) DECUServe, a teleconferencing system using VAX Notes.  This
      system recently completed its test phase.  It will soon be
      available to all DECUS members for a $45 per year subscription
      charge.  It is the intent of this system to allow members of
      DECUS to interact with each other concerning technical topics,
      on a day-to-day basis.

   h) Regional Seminars, a program of seminars on topics of interest
      to DECUS members, presented at various locations around the U.S.
      Call Diane Spirio at (617) 480-3307 for more information.

   i) OASIS, a teleconferencing system using VAX Notes and Video Text,
      sponsored by the OA SIG and Digital.  This service is currently
      in a start-up phase.  More information will be available soon.

4) What is a SIG?

   SIGs are Special Interest Groups.  There are many SIGs in DECUS.
   Some are: Artificial Intelligence, Business Applications, DAARC,
   Data Management, Datatrieve/4GL, EDUSIG, Graphics, Hardware, IAS,
   Micro, Languages and Tools, Large Systems, MUMPS, Networks, Office
   Automation, Personal Computer, RSTS, RSX, RT, Site Management &
   Training, UNISIG (UNIX, ULTRIX), and VAX Systems.  It should be
   noted that the IAS SIG is in the process of merging with the RSX
   SIG.

   SIGs sponsor sessions at symposia, publish newsletters and in other
   ways provide services to DECUS members interested in particular
   subsets of problems and applications of DEC computers and software.

5) What is a LUG?

   A LUG is a Local Users Group.  There are many LUGs throughout the
   U.S., Canada and the rest of the world (the current count is 147).
   LUGs usually are associated with one or more SIGs.  For example
   many LUGs deal with the problems of VAX systems only.  To find a
   LUG near you, contact the DECUS office.

6) How much does it cost to join DECUS and where can I get a
   membership form?

   Membership in DECUS is open to anyone and is FREE.  Membership
   forms may be obtained from the DECUS office, LUG's and the back of
   the Combined Newsletters. A LaTeX source for the DECUS U.S. form has

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (02/26/88)

In article <10368@ut-sally.UUCP>, ctp@pop.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) writes:
>    DECUS is made up of several "chapters."  You are required to join
>    a chapter based on your place of residence.  All U.S. residents must
>    join the U.S. Chapter:

	Ut-oh.  I know people who haven't joined the U.S. chapter... does
this disqualifiy them as residents?  Are they in violation of some penal code?
Do I report them to the thought police or the phone police?  Does the fact
that they don't even use computers release them from this edict?

Enquiring minds want to know... :-)

ctp@pop.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (02/29/88)

In article <200@wsccs.UUCP> terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) writes:
>In article <10368@ut-sally.UUCP>, ctp@pop.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) writes:
>>    DECUS is made up of several "chapters."  You are required to join
>>    a chapter based on your place of residence.  All U.S. residents must
>>    join the U.S. Chapter:
>

>	Ut-oh.  I know people who haven't joined the U.S. chapter... does
>this disqualifiy them as residents?  Are they in violation of some penal code?
>Do I report them to the thought police or the phone police?  Does the fact
>that they don't even use computers release them from this edict?
>
>Enquiring minds want to know... :-)

Ok Ok.  I get the idea :-)  How about this:

   DECUS is made up of several "chapters."  People wishing to join DECUS
   may do so based upon their place of residence.  U.S. residents join the
   U.S. Chapter:

See the next edition of "DECUS Questions Answered".  Comming to a USENET
news machine near you on (or after) March 14, 1988.

-----
Taylor Hall 2.124               BITNET: ctp@UTADNX	SPAN: UTADNX::CTP

ctp@pop.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (03/22/88)

*****Last modified 29-February-1988*****

[...]

   Canadian residents join DECUS Canada:

       DECUS Canada
       15th Floor
       505 University Avenue
       Toronto, Ontario
       M5G 2H2

       (416) 597-3437

   DECUS can not, at present, be contacted electronically.

3) What services does DECUS provide its members?

   DECUS offers many services to its members.  Some of the more
   notable are:

   a) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Symposia, held twice each year. The next
      two Symposium will be Cincinnati, Ohio, May 16-20, 1988 and
      Anaheim, CA, October 17 -21, 1988.  If you can not attend,
      proceedings are available for these meetings (usually $15 per
      meeting).  The next DECUS Canada symposia will be February 8-12,
      1988 (contact DECUS Canada for more information).

[...]

      DECUS U.S. Chapter members.

   f) DECUS Merit Scholarship Program, a Merit Scholarship has been
      established to be awarded annually to a DECUS member or member's
      child.  For more information contact Ms. Paula Morin, (617)
      480-2355.

   g) DECUServe, a teleconferencing system using VAX Notes.  This
      system recently completed its test phase.  It is available to
      all U.S. Chapter DECUS members for a $45 per year subscription
      charge.  It is the intent of this system to allow members of
      DECUS to interact with each other concerning technical topics,
      on a day-to-day basis.  A subscription form is available in the
      January 1988 issue of DECUSCOPE.

   h) Seminars, a program of seminars on topics of interest to DECUS
      members, presented at various times and locations around the
      U.S. and immediately preceeding symposia.  Call Diane Spirio at
[...]

   U.S., Canada and the rest of the world (the current count is 158 in
   the U.S. alone).  LUGs usually are associated with one or more
   SIGs.  For example many LUGs deal with the problems of VAX systems
   only.  To find a LUG near you, call (617) 480-3289.

ctp@pop.cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (04/21/88)

*****Last modified 25-March-1988*****

[...]

       +1-617-480-3418

   Canadian residents join DECUS Canada:

       DECUS Canada
       15th Floor
       505 University Avenue
       Toronto, Ontario
       M5G 2H2

       +1-416-597-3437

   DECUS can not, at present, be contacted electronically.

3) What services does DECUS provide its members?

   DECUS offers many services to its members.  Some of the more
   notable are:

   a) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Symposia, held twice each year. The next
      two Symposium will be Cincinnati, Ohio, May 16-20, 1988 and
      Anaheim, CA, October 17-21, 1988.  If you can not attend,
      proceedings are available for these meetings (usually $15 per
      meeting).  DECUS Canada also holds symposia.  The next DECUS
      Canada Symposia is scheduled for February 20-24, 1989.  Contact
      DECUS Canada for more information.

   b) The DECUS Program Library, a VERY large collection of software
      for almost every computer DEC has ever made, which is available
      for essentially the cost of reproduction and distribution.  The
      current issue of the library catalog is the 1987/1988 edition,
      with the Mid-Year Addendum.  The catalog is available free of
      charge to DECUS members.  More information can be obtained by
      calling +1-617-480-3418.

   c) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Newsletter, a monthly collection of the
      Special Interest Group Newsletters which is available on a
      yearly subscription basis ($35 annually).  Subscription
      information is available by calling +1-617-480-3301.

   d) Regional Conferences, local users groups from time to time host
      DECUS mini-symposia focused on some subset of Digital products.

   e) DECUSCOPE, a quarterly information publication sent free to all
      DECUS U.S. Chapter members.

   f) DECUS Merit Scholarship Program, a Merit Scholarship has been
      established to be awarded annually to a DECUS member or member's
      child.  For more information contact Ms. Paula Morin,
      +1-617-480-2355.

   g) DECUServe, a teleconferencing system using VAX Notes.  This
      system recently completed its test phase.  It is available to
      all U.S. Chapter DECUS members for a $45 per year subscription
      charge.  It is the intent of this system to allow members of
      DECUS to interact with each other concerning technical topics,
      on a day-to-day basis.  A subscription form is available in the
      January 1988 issue of DECUSCOPE.

   h) Seminars, a program of seminars on topics of interest to DECUS
      members, presented at various times and locations around the
      U.S. and immediately preceeding symposia.  Call Diane Spirio at
      +1-617-480-3307 for more information.

[...]

   only.  To find a LUG near you, call +1-617-480-3289.

6) How much does it cost to join DECUS and where can I get a
   membership form?

   Membership in DECUS is open to anyone and is FREE.  Membership
   forms may be obtained from the DECUS office, LUG's and the back of
   the Combined Newsletters. A LaTeX source for the DECUS U.S. form has
   been posted to the USENET newsgroup comp.org.decus and is available
   on request from the poster at any of the addresses below.
-----
DATATRIEVE, DECUS, DECUServe, DECUSCOPE, IAS, RSTS, RSX, RT, ULTRIX,
   and VAX are all trademarks of Digital Equipment Corp.
UNIX is a trademark of A.T. & T. Company
MUMPS is a registered trademark of Massachusetts General Hospital
-----
Clyde T. Poole - Technical Coordinator, Facilities and Equipment (in real life)
 DECUS U. S. Chapter, VAX and LS SIGs, Newsletter Editor (in my spare time)
Univ. of Texas at Austin        ARPA/CSnet: ctp@cs.utexas.edu
Dept. of Computer Sciences      UUCP: {uunet,harvard,ihnp4}!ut-sally!ctp
Taylor Hall 2.124               BITNET: ctp@UTADNX
Austin, TX  78712-1188          VOICE: +1-512-471-9551
      "Life is a bitch ... and then you die"

info-vax-request%kl.sri.COM%KL.SRI.COM%lbl%sfsu1.hepnet@LBL.GOV (05/28/88)

Date: 23 May 88 17:02:30 GMT
From: pop!ctp@sally.utexas.edu  (Clyde T. Poole)
Subject: DECUS Questions Answered (last modified 23-May-1988)
Sender: info-vax-request@kl.sri.com
To: info-vax@kl.sri.com

*****Last modified 23-May-1988*****

[...]

      few Symposia will be:

          Anaheim, CA, October 17-21, 1988
          Atlanta, GA, May 8-12, 1989
          Anaheim, CA, November 6-10, 1989
          New Orleans, LA, May 7-11, 1990

      If you can not attend, proceedings are available for these
      meetings (usually $15 per meeting).  DECUS Canada also holds
      symposia.  The next DECUS Canada Symposia is scheduled for
      February 20-24, 1989.  Contact DECUS Canada for more information.

[...]

   g) DECUServe, a teleconferencing system using VAX Notes.  It is
      available to all U.S. Chapter DECUS members for a $45 per year
      subscription charge.  Subscribers also pay their own long
      distance telephone charges.  It is the intent of this system to
      allow members of DECUS to interact with each other concerning
      technical topics, on a day-to-day basis.  A subscription form is
      available in the January 1988 issue of DECUSCOPE.

   h) Seminars, a program of seminars on topics of interest to DECUS
      members, presented at various times and locations around the
      U.S. and immediately preceeding symposia.  Call Diane Spirio at
      +1-617-480-3307 for more information.

   i) OASIS, a teleconferencing system using VAX Notes and VTX (Video
      Text), sponsored by the OA SIG and Digital.  See the January
      1988 issue of the OA SIG Newsletter or contact Joe Whatley at
      +1-813-734-5473x2438 for more information.

4) What is a SIG and a SIC?

   SIGs are Special Interest Groups.  There are many SIGs in DECUS.
   Some are: Artificial Intelligence, Business Applications, DAARC,
   Data Management, Datatrieve/4GL, EDUSIG, Graphics, Hardware, IAS,
   Micro, Languages and Tools, MUMPS, Networks, Office Automation,
   Personal Computer, RSTS, RSX, RT, Site Management & Training,
   UNISIG (UNIX, ULTRIX), and VAX Systems.  It should be noted that
   the IAS SIG is in the process of merging with the RSX SIG.

   SICs are Special Interest Committees.  These are really either new
   SIGs in the making or old SIGs going out of business.  They provide
   the same kinds of services that SIGs provide but are short of
   volunteer leadership.  Currently there is only one SIC, Large
   Systems, which is an old SIG going out of business because of the
   lack of a constituency.

   SIGs and SICs sponsor sessions at symposia, publish newsletters and
[...]

   VAX and VTX are all trademarks of Digital Equipment Corp.
Univ. of Texas at Austin        ARPA/CSnet/NSFnet: ctp@cs.utexas.edu

ctp@pop.cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (06/24/88)

*****Last modified 23-June-1988*****

[...]

       +1-508-480-3259

   Canadian residents join DECUS Canada:

       DECUS Canada
       15th Floor
       505 University Avenue
       Toronto, Ontario
       M5G 2H2

       +1-416-597-3437

   DECUS can not, at present, be contacted electronically.

3) What services does DECUS provide its members?

   DECUS offers many services to its members.  Some of the more
   notable are:

   a) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Symposia, held twice each year. The next
      few Symposia will be:

          Anaheim, CA, October 17-21, 1988
          Atlanta, GA, May 8-12, 1989
          Anaheim, CA, November 6-10, 1989
          New Orleans, LA, May 7-11, 1990

      If you can not attend, proceedings are available for these
      meetings (usually $15 per meeting).  For more information on the
      U.S. Chapter Symposia, call +1-508-480-3302.

      DECUS Canada also holds symposia.  The next DECUS Canada
      Symposia is scheduled for February 20-24, 1989.  Contact DECUS
      Canada for more information.

   b) The DECUS Program Library, a VERY large collection of software
      for almost every computer DEC has ever made, which is available
      for essentially the cost of reproduction and distribution.  The
      current issue of the library catalog is the 1988/1989 edition.
      The catalog is available free of charge to DECUS members.  More
      information can be obtained by calling +1-508-480-3418.

   c) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Newsletter, a monthly collection of the
      Special Interest Group Newsletters which is available on a
      yearly subscription basis ($35 annually).  Subscription
      information is available by calling +1-508-480-3301.

   d) Regional Conferences, local users groups from time to time host
      DECUS mini-symposia focused on some subset of Digital products.

   e) DECUSCOPE, a quarterly information publication sent free to all
      DECUS U.S. Chapter members.

   f) DECUS Merit Scholarship Program, a Merit Scholarship has been
      established to be awarded annually to a DECUS member or member's
      child.  For more information contact Ms. Paula Morin,
      +1-508-480-2355.

   g) DECUServe, a teleconferencing system using VAX Notes.  It is
      available to all U.S. Chapter DECUS members for a $45 per year
      subscription charge.  Subscribers also pay their own long
      distance telephone charges.  It is the intent of this system to
      allow members of DECUS to interact with each other concerning
      technical topics, on a day-to-day basis.  A subscription form is
      available in the January 1988 issue of DECUSCOPE.

   h) Seminars, a program of seminars on topics of interest to DECUS
      members, presented at various times and locations around the
      U.S. and immediately preceeding symposia.  Call Diane Spirio at
      +1-508-480-3307 for more information.

[...]

   only.  To find a LUG near you, call +1-508-480-3289.

6) How much does it cost to join DECUS and where can I get a
   membership form?

   Membership in DECUS is open to anyone and is FREE.  Membership
   forms may be obtained from the DECUS office, LUG's and the back of
   the Combined Newsletters. A LaTeX source for the DECUS U.S. form has
   been posted to the USENET newsgroup comp.org.decus and is available
   on request from the poster at any of the addresses below.

   To check your membership status or to notify DECUS of a change of
   address call +1-508-480-3418.
-----
DATATRIEVE, DECUS, DECUServe, DECUSCOPE, IAS, RSTS, RSX, RT, ULTRIX,
   VAX and VTX are all trademarks of Digital Equipment Corp.
UNIX is a trademark of A.T. & T. Company
MUMPS is a registered trademark of Massachusetts General Hospital
-----
Clyde T. Poole - Technical Coordinator, Facilities and Equipment (in real life)
 DECUS U. S. Chapter, VAX and LS SIGs, Newsletter Editor (in my spare time)
Univ. of Texas at Austin        ARPA/CSnet/NSFnet: ctp@cs.utexas.edu
Dept. of Computer Sciences      UUCP: {uunet,harvard,ihnp4}!ut-sally!ctp
Taylor Hall 2.124               BITNET: ctp@UTADNX
Austin, TX  78712-1188          VOICE: +1-512-471-9551
      "Life is a bitch ... and then you die"

ctp@ut-sally.UUCP (Clyde T. Poole) (06/24/88)

I should have pointed out that the area code for the DECUS offices is
changing from 617 to 508.  The 617 will probably work for a short while
but at some point only 508 will work.

ctp

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (09/17/88)

*****Last modified 15-August-1988*****

[...]

   Languages and Tools, MUMPS, Networks, Office Automation, Personal
   Computer, RSTS, RSX/IAS, RT, Site Management & Training, UNISIG
   (UNIX, ULTRIX), and VAX Systems.

[...]

Dept. of Computer Sciences      UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!ctp

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (12/03/88)

*****Last modified 02-December-1988*****

There are a few basic questions that get asked from time to time that
indicate that people don't know much about DECUS and how to use its
services.  Occasionally I post a list of answers to DECUS related questions
[...]

      Symposia is scheduled for February 20-24, 1989 in Vancouver, B.C.
[...]

      child.  The DECUS member must have had membership in DECUS for
      at least three (3) years as of January 1 of the award year in
      order to be considered.  For more information contact Ms. Paula
      Morin, +1-508-480-2355.

[...]

 DECUS U. S. Chapter, Communications Committee Chairman (in my spare time)
Taylor Hall 2.124               BITNET: ctp@UTADNX  SPAN: UTSPAN::UTADNX::ctp

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (01/14/89)

*****Last modified 13-January-1989*****

[...]

      Conference, which is next scheduled for June 22-23, 1989 in
      Denver, Colorado (for more information, contact Tony Carrato,
      Conference Chair at +1-303-721-0851).

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (03/02/89)

*****Last modified 30-January-1989*****

[...]

      Other chapters of DECUS also hold symposia.  The next DECUS Canada
      Symposia is scheduled for February 20-24, 1989 in Vancouver, B.C.
      Contact DECUS Canada for more information.  DECUS Muenchen
      (Germany, Austria and Hungary) will have their annual Symposium
      in Karlsruhe April 3-7, 1989 and DECUS UK, Ireland and Middle
      East will have their annual conference at Execter the week of
      April 3-7, 1989.

   b) The DECUS Program Library, a VERY large collection of software
      for almost every computer DEC has ever made, which is available
      for essentially the cost of reproduction and distribution.  The
      current issue of the library catalog is the 1988/1989 edition
      with the 1988/89 DECUS Library Catalog Update.  The catalog is
      available free of charge to DECUS members.  More information can
      be obtained by calling +1-508-480-3418.  Information on
      preparing a submission for the library can be obtained by
      calling +1-508-480-3514.

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (04/07/89)

*****Last modified 03-March-1989*****

[...]

4) What is a SIG and a UIG?

   SIGs are Special Interest Groups.  There are many SIGs in DECUS.
   Some are: Artificial Intelligence, Business Applications, DAARC,
   Data Management, Datatrieve/4GL, EDUSIG, Graphics, Hardware, Micro,
   Languages and Tools, MUMPS, Networks, Office Automation, Personal
   Computer, RSTS, RSX/IAS, RT, Site Management & Training, UNISIG
   (UNIX, ULTRIX), and VAX Systems.

   UIGs are User Interest Groups.  These are really either new SIGs in
   the making or old SIGs going out of business.  They provide the
   same kinds of services that SIGs provide but are short of volunteer
   leadership.

   SIGs and UIGs sponsor sessions at symposia, publish newsletters and

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (05/16/89)

*****Last modified 15-May-1989*****

[...]

      Other chapters of DECUS also hold symposia.  DECUS Canada holds
      an annual symposia.  Contact DECUS Canada for more information.
      DECUS Switzerland will hold its symposia May 29 through June 1
      and DECUS Denmark will hold its symposia May 31 through June 2.

[...]

   Data Management, Datatrieve/4GL, EDUSIG, Electronic Publishing,
   Graphics, Hardware, Micro, Languages and Tools, MUMPS, Networks,
[...]

 DECUS U. S. Chapter, Communications Committee Chairman and Member of
   the Management Council (in my spare time)
Univ. of Texas at Austin        ARPA/CSnet/NSFnet: ctp@cs.utexas.edu
Dept. of Computer Sciences      UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!ctp
Taylor Hall 2.124               BITNET: ctp@UTADNX  SPAN: UTSPAN::UTADNX::ctp
Austin, TX  78712-1188          DECUServe: POOLE    VOICE: +1-512-471-9551

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (06/16/89)

*****Last modified 15-May-1989*****

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (07/25/89)

*****Last modified 24-Jul-1989*****

[...]

          Las Vegas, NV, December 10-14, 1990
          Atlanta, GA, May 6-10, 1991

      If you can not attend, proceedings are available for these
      meetings (usually $15 per meeting).  For more information on the
      U.S. Chapter Symposia, call +1-508-480-3302.

      Other chapters of DECUS also hold symposia.  DECUS Canada holds
      an annual symposia.  Their next symposia is scheduled for
      Toronto, January 20-26, 1990.  Contact DECUS Canada for more
      information.  DECUS South Pacific will be held August 21-25,
      1989 and DECUS Europe will be held September 19-22, 1989.

   b) The DECUS Program Library, a VERY large collection of software
      for almost every computer DEC has ever made, which is available
      for essentially the cost of reproduction and distribution.  The
      current issue of the library catalog is the 1989/1990 edition.
      The catalog is available free of charge to DECUS members.  More
      information can be obtained by calling +1-508-480-3635.
[...]

      available to all U.S. Chapter DECUS members for a $60 per year

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (08/29/89)

*****Last modified 22-Aug-1989*****

[...]

   The U.S. Chapter currently has over 51,000 members.

[...]

      an annual symposium.  Their next symposium is scheduled for
[...]

      An example of a regional conference is the Minnesota VAX Local
      Users' Group Regional Conference being held in Minneapolis, MN
      at the Holiday Inn Downtown, Sept. 28 and 29, 1989.  For more
      information on this conference call John Vilandre at
      +1-612-624-1934.

[...]

      U.S. and immediately preceding symposia.  Call Diane Spirio at
      +1-508-480-3307 for more information.

4) What is a SIG and a UIG?

   SIGs are Special Interest Groups.  There are many SIGs in DECUS.
   Some are: Artificial Intelligence, Business Applications, DAARC,
   Data Management, DATATRIEVE/4GL, EDUSIG, Graphics, Hardware, Micro,
   Languages and Tools, MUMPS, Networks, Office Automation, Personal
   Computer, RSTS, RSX/IAS, RT, Site Management & Training, UNISIG
   (UNIX, ULTRIX), and VAX Systems.

   UIGs are User Interest Groups.  These are really either new SIGs in
   the making or old SIGs going out of business.  They provide the
   same kinds of services that SIGs provide but are short of volunteer
   leadership.  Currently the only UIG is Electronic Publishing.

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (09/27/89)

*****Last modified 26-Sep-1989*****

[...]

      Morin, +1-508-480-3255.

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (11/22/89)

*****Last modified 21-Nov-1989*****

[...]

      yearly subscription basis (currently $35 annually but will be
      increasing to $40 annually as of January 1, 1990).  Subscription
      information is available by calling +1-508-480-3301.

   d) Regional Conferences, local users groups from time to time host
      DECUS mini-symposia focused on some subset of Digital products.

   e) DECUSCOPE, a quarterly information publication sent free to all
      DECUS U.S. Chapter members.

   f) DECUS Merit Scholarship Program, a Merit Scholarship has been
      established to be awarded annually to a DECUS member or member's
      child.  The DECUS member must have had membership in DECUS for
      at least three (3) years as of January 1 of the award year in
      order to be considered.  The annual Merit Scholarship
      competition is conducted by the National Merit Scholarship
      Corp., whose purposes are to identify and honor talented high
      school students and to award college undergraduate scholarships
      to the most outstanding of them.  For more information contact
      Ms. Paula Morin, +1-508-480-3255.

[...]

   leadership.  Business Practices and Security are examples of
   current UIGs.

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (12/22/89)

*****Last modified 18-Dec-1989*****

[...]

          Anaheim, CA, December 9-13, 1991

      If you can not attend, proceedings are available for these
      meetings (usually $15 per meeting).  For more information on the
      U.S. Chapter Symposia, call +1-508-480-3302.

      Other chapters of DECUS also hold symposia.  DECUS Canada holds
      an annual symposium.  Their next two symposia are scheduled for:

          Toronto, January 20-26, 1990
          Ottawa, February 18-22, 1991

[...]

DATATRIEVE, DECUS, DECUSCOPE, IAS, RSTS, RSX, RT, ULTRIX and VAX are

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (02/20/90)

      *****Last modified 12-Feb-1990*****

[...]

      with the Winter/Spring 1990 update.  The catalog is available
      free of charge to DECUS members.  More information can be
      obtained by calling +1-508-480-3635. Information on preparing a
      submission for the library can be  obtained by calling
      +1-508-480-3514.

   c) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Newsletter, a monthly collection of the
      Special Interest Group Newsletters which is available on a
      yearly subscription basis (currently $40 annually).  Subscription
      information is available by calling +1-508-480-3301.

   d) Regional Conferences, local users groups from time to time host
      DECUS mini-symposia focused on some subset of Digital products.
      An example of a regional conference is the 1990 New Mexico
      Digital - Computer Users' Symposium which will be held in Las
      Cruce New Mexico, March 15-16, 1990.  For more information on
      this meeting call Karol Lee LaValle at +1-505-522-9425.  Another
      example is the SeaLUG regional conference which will be held in
      Bellevue, WA, March 4-6, 1990.  For more information contact
      Steve Lorenzen +1-206-284-4316.

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (03/21/90)

      *****Last modified 21-Feb-1990*****

-----
Some basic answers to DECUS questions:

1) What does DECUS stand for and how do you pronounce it?

   Digital Equipment Computer Users Society

   The pronunciation is open for discussion.  My belief is that the
   correct way is DEE-CUS as opposed to DECK-US.

2) How can I contact DECUS?

   DECUS is made up of several "chapters."  People wishing to join DECUS
   may do so based upon their place of residence.  U.S. residents join
   the U.S. Chapter:

       DECUS U.S. Chapter
       219 Boston Post Road, BP02
       Marlboro, Massachusetts  01752-1850

       +1-508-480-3259

   The U.S. Chapter currently has over 51,000 members.

   Canadian residents join DECUS Canada:

       DECUS Canada
       15th Floor
       505 University Avenue
       Toronto, Ontario
       M5G 2H2

       +1-416-597-3437

   DECUS can not, at present, be contacted electronically.

3) What services does DECUS provide its members?

   DECUS offers many services to its members.  Some of the more
   notable are:

   a) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Symposia, held twice each year. The next
      few Symposia will be:

          New Orleans, LA, May 7-11, 1990
          Las Vegas, NV, December 10-14, 1990
          Atlanta, GA, May 6-10, 1991
          Anaheim, CA, December 9-13, 1991

      If you can not attend, proceedings are available for these
      meetings (usually $15 per meeting).  For more information on the
      U.S. Chapter Symposia, call +1-508-480-3302.

      Other chapters of DECUS also hold symposia.  DECUS Canada holds
      an annual symposium.  Their next symposium is scheduled for:

          Ottawa, February 18-22, 1991

      Contact DECUS Canada for more information.

   b) The DECUS Program Library, a VERY large collection of software
      for almost every computer DEC has ever made, which is available
      for essentially the cost of reproduction and distribution.  The
      current issue of the library catalog is the 1989/1990 edition
|      with the Winter/Spring 1990 update.  The hardcopy catalog is
|      available free of charge to DECUS members.  An online version
|      of the catalog is now available as a pilot project of the
|      Library Committee from acfcluster.nyu.edu (annonymous FTP in
|      the directory [.DECUS]) and on BITNET from VMSSERV@NYUACF (use
|      VMSSERV messages).  More information can be obtained by calling
|      +1-508-480-3635. Information on preparing a submission for the
|      library can be obtained by calling +1-508-480-3514.

   c) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Newsletter, a monthly collection of the
      Special Interest Group Newsletters which is available on a
      yearly subscription basis (currently $40 annually).
      Subscription information is available by calling +1-508-480-3301.

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (07/20/90)

      *****Last modified 18-July-1990*****

There are a few basic questions that get asked from time to time that
indicate that people don't know much about DECUS and how to use its
services.  Monthly I post a list of answers to DECUS related questions
that may be of interest to the net.  If you have something to add or a
correction to this posting, please let me know.  Text changed since
the last posting is indicated by a "|" at the beginning of the line.
-----
Some basic answers to DECUS questions:

1) What does DECUS stand for and how do you pronounce it?

   Digital Equipment Computer Users Society

   The pronunciation is open for discussion.  My belief is that the
   correct way is DEE-CUS as opposed to DECK-US.

2) How can I contact DECUS?

   DECUS is made up of several "chapters."  People wishing to join DECUS
   may do so based upon their place of residence.  U.S. residents join
   the U.S. Chapter:

       DECUS U.S. Chapter
       219 Boston Post Road, BP02
|       Marlboro, Massachusetts  01752-4605

       +1-508-480-3259

   The U.S. Chapter currently has over 51,000 members.

   Canadian residents join DECUS Canada:

       DECUS Canada
       15th Floor
       505 University Avenue
       Toronto, Ontario
       M5G 2H2

       +1-416-597-3437

   DECUS can not, at present, be contacted electronically.

3) What services does DECUS provide its members?

   DECUS offers many services to its members.  Some of the more
   notable are:

   a) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Symposia, held twice each year. The next
      few Symposia will be:

          Las Vegas, NV, December 10-14, 1990
          Atlanta, GA, May 6-10, 1991
          Anaheim, CA, December 9-13, 1991
          Atlanta, GA, May 4-8, 1992

      If you can not attend, proceedings are available for these
      meetings (usually $15 per meeting).  For more information on the
      U.S. Chapter Symposia, call +1-508-480-3302.

      Other chapters of DECUS also hold symposia.  DECUS Canada holds
      an annual symposium.  Their next symposium is scheduled for:

          Ottawa, February 18-22, 1991

|      Contact DECUS Canada or call the Symposium Coordinator, Ann
|      Murakami, +1-416-597-3462, for more information.

   b) The DECUS Program Library, a VERY large collection of software
      for almost every computer DEC has ever made, which is available
      for essentially the cost of reproduction and distribution.  The
|      current issue of the library catalog is the 1990/1991 edition.
      The hardcopy catalog is available free of charge to DECUS
      members.  An online version of the catalog is now available as a
      pilot project of the Library Committee from acfcluster.nyu.edu
      (annonymous FTP in the directory [.DECUS]) and on BITNET from
      VMSSERV@NYUACF (use VMSSERV messages).  More information can be
      obtained by calling +1-508-480-3635. Information on preparing a
      submission for the library can be obtained by calling +1-508-480-3514.

   c) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Newsletter, a monthly collection of
      Newsletters from the Special Interest Groups, DECUServe and the
      Library which is available on a yearly subscription basis
      (currently $40 annually).  Subscription information is available
      by calling +1-508-480-3301.

   d) Regional Conferences, local users groups from time to time host
      DECUS mini-symposia focused on some subset of Digital products.

   e) DECUSCOPE, a quarterly information publication sent free to all
      DECUS U.S. Chapter members.

   f) DECUS Merit Scholarship Program, a Merit Scholarship has been
      established to be awarded annually to a DECUS member or member's
      child.  The DECUS member must have had membership in DECUS for
      at least three (3) years as of January 1 of the award year in
      order to be considered.  The annual Merit Scholarship
      competition is conducted by the National Merit Scholarship
      Corp., whose purposes are to identify and honor talented high
      school students and to award college undergraduate scholarships
      to the most outstanding of them.  For more information contact
      Ms. Paula Morin, +1-508-480-3255.

   g) DECUServe, a teleconferencing system using VAX Notes.  It is
      available to all U.S. Chapter DECUS members for a $60 per year
      subscription charge.  Subscribers also pay their own long
      distance telephone charges.  It is the intent of this system to
      allow members of DECUS to interact with each other concerning
      technical topics, on a day-to-day basis.  A subscription form is
|      available in the January 1988 issue of DECUSCOPE and in the
|      back of the combined Newsletters.  You can also obtain
|      information on-line by calling +1-800-521-8950 and logging in as
|      INFORMATION.

   h) Seminars, a program of seminars on topics of interest to DECUS
      members, presented at various times and locations around the
      U.S. and immediately preceding symposia.  Call Diane Spirio at
      +1-508-480-3307 for more information.

   i) DECUShare, a new service which will allow subscribers to access
      the SIG Symposia Distribution Tapes and a subset of the DECUS
      Library on-line.  This service is not yet available but funding
      has been approved.  Watch for the announcement of availability.

4) What is a SIG and a UIG?

-----

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (09/20/90)

      *****Last modified 09-August-1990*****

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (12/21/90)

      *****Last modified 17-December-1990*****

[...]

      (anonymous FTP in the directory [.DECUS]) and on BITNET from
> [...]

   A LUG is a Local Users Group.  There are many LUGs throughout the
   U.S., Canada and the rest of the world (the current count is 158 in
   the U.S. alone).  LUGs usually are associated with one or more
   SIGs.  For example many LUGs deal with the problems of VAX systems
   only.  To find a LUG near you, call +1-508-480-3289.

6) How much does it cost to join DECUS and where can I get a
   membership form?

   Membership in DECUS is open to anyone and is FREE.  Membership
   forms may be obtained from the DECUS office, LUGs and the back of
   the Combined Newsletters.

   To check your membership status or to notify DECUS of a change of
   address call +1-508-480-3418, +1-508-480-3446 or +1-508-480-3659.

-----
DATATRIEVE, DECUS, DECUSCOPE, IAS, RSTS, RSX, RT, ULTRIX and VAX are
   all trademarks of Digital Equipment Corp.
UNIX is a trademark of Unix System Laboratories, Inc.

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (04/26/91)

      *****Last modified 26-April-1991*****

There are a few basic questions that get asked from time to time that
indicate that people don't know much about DECUS and how to use its
services.  Monthly I post a list of answers to DECUS related questions
that may be of interest to the net.  If you have something to add or a
correction to this posting, please let me know.  Text changed since
the last posting is indicated by a "|" at the beginning of the line.
-----
Some basic answers to DECUS questions:

1) What does DECUS stand for and how do you pronounce it?

   Digital Equipment Computer Users Society

   The pronunciation is open for discussion.  My belief is that the
   correct way is DEE-CUS as opposed to DECK-US.

2) How can I contact DECUS?

   DECUS is made up of several "chapters."  People wishing to join DECUS
   may do so based upon their place of residence.  U.S. residents join
   the U.S. Chapter:

       DECUS U.S. Chapter
|       333 South Street, SHR1-4/D30
|       Shrewsbury, MA  01545-4195

       +1-508-841-3259

   The U.S. Chapter currently has over 51,000 members.

   Canadian residents join DECUS Canada:

       DECUS Canada
       15th Floor
       505 University Avenue
       Toronto, Ontario
       M5G 2H2

       +1-416-597-3437

   DECUS can not, at present, be contacted electronically.

3) What services does DECUS provide its members?

   DECUS offers many services to its members.  Some of the more
   notable are:

   a) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Symposia, held twice each year. The next
      few Symposia will be:

          Atlanta, GA, May 6-10, 1991
          Anaheim, CA, December 9-13, 1991
          Atlanta, GA, May 4-8, 1992

      If you can not attend, proceedings are available for these
      meetings (usually $15 per meeting).  For more information on the
      U.S. Chapter Symposia, call +1-508-841-3302.

      Other chapters of DECUS also hold symposia.  DECUS Canada holds
|      an annual symposium.  Contact DECUS Canada or call the Symposium
|      Coordinator, Ann Murakami, +1-416-597-3462, for more information.

   b) The DECUS Program Library, a VERY large collection of software
      for almost every computer DEC has ever made, which is available
      for essentially the cost of reproduction and distribution.  The
      current issue of the library catalog is the 1990/1991 edition.
      The hardcopy catalog is available free of charge to DECUS
      members.  An online version of the catalog is now available as a
      pilot project of the Library Committee from acfcluster.nyu.edu
      (anonymous FTP in the directory [.DECUS]) and on BITNET from
      VMSSERV@NYUACF (use VMSSERV messages).  More information can be
|      obtained by calling +1-508-841-2940. Information on preparing a
      submission for the library can be obtained by calling +1-508-841-3514.

   c) The DECUS U.S. Chapter Newsletter, a monthly collection of
      Newsletters from the Special Interest Groups, DECUServe and the
      Library which is available on a yearly subscription basis
      (currently $40 annually).  Subscription information is available
      by calling +1-508-841-3502.

[...]

      INFORMATION or by calling +1-508-841-3511.

   h) Seminars, a program of seminars on topics of interest to DECUS
      members, presented at various times and locations around the
      U.S. and immediately preceding symposia.  Call Diane Spirio at
      +1-508-841-3307 for more information.

   i) DECUShare, a new service which will allow subscribers to access
      the SIG Symposia Distribution Tapes and a subset of the DECUS
      Library on-line.  This service is not yet available but funding
      has been approved.  Watch for the announcement of availability.

4) What is a SIG and a UIG?

   SIGs are Special Interest Groups.  There are many SIGs in DECUS.
   Some are: Artificial Intelligence, Business Applications, DAARC,
|   Data Management, 4GL, EDUSIG, Electronic Publishing, Graphics,
|   Micro, Languages and Tools, MUMPS, Networks, Office Automation,
|   Personal Computer, RSTS, Security, Site Management & Training,
|   Technology Hardware & Engineering, UNISIG (UNIX, ULTRIX), and VAX
|   Systems.

   UIGs are User Interest Groups.  These are really either new SIGs in
   the making or old SIGs going out of business.  They provide the
   same kinds of services that SIGs provide but are short of volunteer
   leadership.  Business Practices, Third Party Providers and User
   Interfaces are examples of current UIGs.

   SIGs and UIGs sponsor sessions at symposia, publish newsletters and
   in other ways provide services to DECUS members interested in
   particular subsets of problems and applications of DEC computers
   and software.

5) What is a LUG?

   A LUG is a Local Users Group.  There are many LUGs throughout the
   U.S., Canada and the rest of the world (the current count is 158 in
   the U.S. alone).  LUGs usually are associated with one or more
   SIGs.  For example many LUGs deal with the problems of VAX systems
|   only.  To find a LUG near you, call +1-508-841-3289.

6) How much does it cost to join DECUS and where can I get a
   membership form?

   Membership in DECUS is open to anyone and is FREE.  Membership
   forms may be obtained from the DECUS office, LUGs and the back of
   the Combined Newsletters.

   To check your membership status or to notify DECUS of a change of
   address call +1-508-841-3418, +1-508-841-3446 or +1-508-841-3659.

-----
DATATRIEVE, DECUS, DECUSCOPE, IAS, RSTS, RSX, RT, ULTRIX and VAX are
   all trademarks of Digital Equipment Corp.
UNIX is a trademark of Unix System Laboratories, Inc.
MUMPS is a registered trademark of Massachusetts General Hospital
-----
Clyde T. Poole - Technical Coordinator, Facilities and Equipment (in real life)
 DECUS U. S. Chapter, Communications Committee Chairman and Member of
   the Management Council (in my spare time)
Univ. of Texas at Austin        Internet/NSFnet/CSnet: ctp@cs.utexas.edu
Dept. of Computer Sciences      UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!ctp
Taylor Hall 2.124               BITNET: ctp@UTXVMS  SPAN: UTSPAN::UTADNX::ctp
Austin, TX  78712-1188          DECUServe: POOLE    VOICE: +1-512-471-9551

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (06/20/91)

      *****Last modified 20-Jun-1991*****

Univ. of Texas at Austin        Internet: ctp@cs.utexas.edu       DCS: POOLE