[comp.os.vms] Using a DEQNA on a system running the latest and greatest VMS

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr.) (06/27/91)

In article <81349@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, kalisiak@acsu.buffalo.edu (christophe m kalisiak) writes:
> Boy have I got news for everyone who told me not to buy a DEQNA because I
> would not be able to use it unless I stuck with V5.3 for ever!

[Note: this is a revised version of my original article, edited to be less
strident and to correct problems with my newsreader which caused my original
reply to be mis-titled.]

  I didn't say V5.3 forever - I said support was being dropped in the near
future.

  I refer you to page 4 of "Cover Letter for VMS Version 5.4", DEC part
number AV-EF56K-TE, which states:

"DECnet-VAX Device Support Information

Over the next 6 to 12 months, VMS, DECnet-VAX, avd VAXcluster software
support for the DEQNA Ethernet adapter will be withdrawn. For 24 months
after that, the DEQNA adapter will be accessible only by user applica-
tions that use the $QIO interface to the Q-bus Ethernet device driver
(XQDRIVER). During that time, when the XQDRIVER recognizes the device as
a DEQNA adapter, a console message will be printed specifying that the
DEQNA adapter is an unsupported device. However, these user applications
will continue to work. At the end of the 24-month period, the DEQNA
Ethernet adapter will no longer be accessible.

Digital recommends that customer implementations that use the DEQNA ad-
apter upgrade as soon as possible to either the DELQA or DESQA adapter,
whichever is appropriate for the system. Customer upgrade options cur-
rently are available from DECdirect. Contact your local Digital sales
office for more information."

  This text is repeated in "Cover Letter for DECnet-VAXtm Version 5.4",
DEC part number AV-DL04J-TE.

  The date of the BOM (Bill of Materials) for my V5.4 kit is 26-Jul-90,
so as they say: REPENT, FOR THE END IS NEAR!!! If you have 12 months from
then, you'd better make plans soon. Of course, if you want to stay with
VMS V5.<whatever-the-last-version-supporting-the-DEQNA-is>, you're all
set. However, unrelated problems can make an upgrade unexpectedly necess-
ary, so it's best to be prepared (and have that DELQA handy). This is
especially true as DEC's trade-in program is scheduled to end at the end
of this month.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381