[unix-pc.general] OBM problems

ford@crash.UUCP (09/08/87)

In article <150@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>I'm having serious problems with my UNIXpc communications, and was wondering
>if anybody can offer some advise.  First, a little background:
>
>1.	"uucico -r1" executed by cron (smgr) @ 2:00am
>2.	Woke up @ 7:00am, went to check mail and news,
>	uucico still running (apparently hung), /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE
>	says OK (conversation complete), setgetty also running (apparently
>	hung).
>	NOTE: I did "ls -l /dev/ph1" and the group was set to "mail", /dev/ph0
>	is set to "sys".
>3.	kill -9 uucico, and kill -9 setgetty

> [...]

> /dev/ph1 is broken!!!!  What's going on here?  Hardware?  Software?

First observation:

	kill -9 is almost ALWAYS a stupid thing to do.  Unix provides a
signal, SIGTERM, that tells a process to "clean up" and exit.  This signal
is even the DEFAULT for the kill command.  If you use signal 9 (SIGKILL),
you are terminating a process without letting it fix any stuff it may have
in a half-finished state.  When you kill uucico with signal 9, you cause
it to terminate leaving several files in a bad state.  First, the lock
file for ph1 still says that ph1 is in use, so no other uucp-style programs
(like cu) will use it.  Second, the system-status file for the system
being talked to still says that a conversation is in progress, so no uucico
processes are allowed to talk to that system.
	I recommend using 'kill <pid>' with no -9 except in unusual
situations (like if a process refuses to exit after a SIGTERM).

Second observation:

	You mentioned errors that sound like the actual /dev/ph1 could
not be opened.  If this is true, there is something worse going on than
what I mentioned above.  If it is just the lockfile problem, you will
get messages like "Cannot dial out -- line in use".

Have you
	A)	Tried openning /dev/ph1 with a simple program?
		(even /bin/cat?)   What errors are returned by open(2)?

	B)	Rebooted?

	C)	Powered off and on?

If you remove /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..ph1 and /usr/spool/uucp/STST.*
and you have ph1 properly configured in your /usr/lib/uucp/L-devices
(The administration menu does go in and mung this file) then
"cu -lph1 <phonenumber>" should work.
--

Michael "Ford" Ditto				-=] Ford [=-
P.O. Box 1721					ford@crash.CTS.COM