[unix-pc.general] Irresponsibility

brant@manta.UUCP (09/25/87)

To Lenny Tropiano:

The Unix PC system was clearly designed for use in "non-hostile"
environments, where the few security problems that exist (and there
are others) are not important.  However, there may be people on the
net using these machines in environments where security is important,
thus we are responsible for not putting those users in jeopardy.  As a
result, it's irresponsible to post articles giving exact directions
for violating system security.  Even if you're not personally
affected, that doesn't give you the right to post (or encourage others
to post) how-to's on system cracking.  Your one thoughtless posting
certainly did far more damage than good.
--
Brant Cheikes
ARPA: brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu

lenny@quincy.UUCP (09/27/87)

In article <149@manta.UUCP>, brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:

> The Unix PC system was clearly designed for use in "non-hostile"
> environments, where the few security problems that exist (and there
> are others) are not important.  [...]

Almost any environment given the correct circumstances can be "hostile."
I wouldn't call displaying you Applications package at a show hostile,
but given the person with the know-how...

> However, there may be people on the net using these machines in
> environments where security is important, thus we are responsible for
> not putting those users in jeopardy.  As a result, it's irresponsible
> to post articles giving exact directions for violating system security.

Brant, I was *NOT* giving the people the "DIRECTIONS" for HACKING a machine,
on the contrary I was trying to help those people who are not experienced
Administrators (especially those who took advantage to the "fire-sale" on
3B1's and know little about there hardware/software) to PROTECT their machine
from possible illicit entry.  Each and every "flaw" I detailed can be
easily protected against with good adminstration.  There are others that I
know of that are a little more difficult, but nothing is IMPOSSIBLE.

> Even if you're not personally affected, that doesn't give you the
> right to post (or encourage others to post) how-to's on system cracking.
> Your one thoughtless posting certainly did far more damage than good.

Those people (me INCLUDED) that leave their machines connected to PHONE lines
and are using Usenet HAVE TO BE AWARE of the possibility of problems, and
ways to AVOID them.  I wasn't "THOUGHTLESS" just CONCERNED!  I would like
to put my system up as a BBS someday (but I'm afaid of giving anyone SHELL-
ACCESS)... The only way to make a totally secure (?) UNIX is do what Gould
did ...  make a filesystem (or directory) and chroot to it and only put what
is necessary to SURVIVE without super-user priviledge.

Again, Brant, I'm sorry if I upset you?  But I have had very good response
(mail-wise) for people who saw my article and thanked me for enlightening
them!  I'm sorry you weren't one of them.

						Lenny Tropiano
						ICUS Adminstrator
						...quincy!icus!lenny

--
Lenny Tropiano               ...seismo!uunet!swlabs!godfre!quincy!lenny  -or-
American LP Systems, Inc.           ...cmcl2!phri!gor!helm!quincy!lenny  -or-

dave@arnold.UUCP (09/28/87)

In article <149@manta.UUCP>, brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
> As a result, it's irresponsible to post articles giving exact directions
> for violating system security.  Even if you're not personally
> affected, that doesn't give you the right to post (or encourage others
> to post) how-to's on system cracking.  Your one thoughtless posting
> certainly did far more damage than good.

I disagree.  Lenny's posting caused me to fix some holes on my system.  And
triggered some other security related questions that I am going to research.
If I can't find the answer anywhere, I might post the question to
unix-pc.general or comp.unix.questions.  Have you read comp.os.vms recently?
There has been alot of heated discussion about security holes.

I beleive that unix-pc.general is a perfect place to discuss such issues since
we are all unix-pc owner's.

Signed,

Dave "Please keep me informed on my security holes" Arnold.

--
Name:		Dave Arnold
USmail:		26561 Fresno, Mission Viejo, Ca, 92691 USA

ignatz@chinet.UUCP (09/29/87)

Brent Cheikes criticized Lenny Tropiano's posting of security holes on
the Unix/PC (3B1, etc.) in the referenced article; as both another
individual and Lenny have defended the posting item-by-item, I won't
go into that here.  But I would like to point out that, in general
usage, Lenny's posting is quite proper.

If you find that some people always leave the keys in their unlocked
cars, you buy public service time and have one of those "Take a
*chomp* bite out of crime!" commercials.  If you discover that any
person can calculate the last digits of the telephone company credit
card by a simple algorithm, you don't responsibly publish the fact
until the algorithm has been changed and new cards issued.  In the
latter case, "phone phreaks" may publish the algorithm, but
responsible individuals neither do so nor perpetuate the handout.

Sound familiar?  Both are "real world" security situations that have
really occurred.  In both cases, the operative definition of proper
behavior was whether the knowledge of the security hole also included
the information necessary to close it, and the person at risk had the
means to easily do so.  Start locking your car, and take the keys.
Ok, simple enough.  But you couldn't re-issue your telephone card
number; at best, you could cancel it.  As another example, fixable
security holes have been publicized in such publications as Unix
Review.

So it is in this case.  In all of the security issues Lenny mentioned,
there was also a simple fix provided that anyone--with or without a
development system--could apply.  And there are security holes that
are known among those of us who worry about such things, but can't be
reasonably fixed without kernel or utility source.  *These* do not
make it on the net; if they do, they fall under the purview of criticism
such as Brent's.

I might point out that a common practice in the past was, if you *did*
find a security hole that wasn't fixable, the fact that you knew of
such a problem might be posted, along with offers to legitimate SA's
to snail-mail the problem (and any workarounds, or at least detection
methods), if they could prove their legitimacy.  When most Unix
systems were owned/operated by companies, this was relatively
easy--mail a copy of your site license agreement, and/or a note on
company letterhead.  It's a bit more difficult now, but can still
work.

Common sense--or, if you will, proper application of "fuzzy
logic"--should prevail in deciding what to post, and what to hint
at...

			Dave Ihnat
			Analysts International Corporation
			ihnp4!homebru!ignatz || aicchi!ignatz || chinet!ignatz
			(w) (312) 882-4673  (h) (312) 784-4544
--
			Dave Ihnat
			ihnp4!homebru!ignatz || ihnp4!chinet!ignatz

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (09/30/87)

In article <8700178@eta.ETA.COM> lm@eta.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:

>The best way to make a system secure is to do exactly what the
>poster did: broadcast the information on how to break in.  Then it is
>*your* problem as a systems administrator to fix it.

Lenny said his purpose in posting was to help inexperienced,
novice UNIX pc administrators find holes and protect their machines
against those holes.  Sounds good to me.  He says he didn't post
directions.  (They look like directions to me in two cases out of
three, but, hey, I won't quibble.)  He also says the holes he mentioned
can be easily protected against with good administration.  But he doesn't
go into any details as to what, exactly, that easy protection and good
administration might be.  So he helped find a few holes, but he didn't
necessarily help anyone protect against those holes.

I want to know about holes, too - agreed.  Seems to me, though, that,
if you really want to be helpful, and if fixes and/or workarounds and/or
protections against those holes are really all that simple - and especially
if you're especially concerned about inexperienced administrators who may
be unfamilar with their hardware and/or software (which is, again, what
Lenny said he was concerned about) - then you post fixes or workarounds
or administration tips, too, in addition to the holes themselves.  That
would help people who may not yet have the experience or know-how to
follow *your* dictum:  "Then it is *your* problem as a systems
administrator to fix it."

I personally had mixed feelings about the original posting.
I've been a little irritated by postings of other people that say,
in effect, "There's a TERRIBLE SECURITY HOLE in this machine - but
I won't tell you what it is,"  so I'm left with all these Vague
Feelings of Dread about what kinds of gaping holes there are that
I don't know about and wouldn't even know to look for, much less
how to guard against - but at least I could hope that knowledge
about the holes was relatively confined.  (Hey, I said I could
*hope*  :-)   I had something of Brant's reaction to Lenny's posting -
but I was also interested in seeing the specifics posted for a change,
so at least I have some idea where the problem is.

Kathy Vincent ------> Home: {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
              ------> AT&T: {ihnp4|mtune|burl}!wrcola!kathy