[unix-pc.general] 7300 floppy + memory query

spear@ihlpf.UUCP (11/23/87)

First, was I the only person who did not know that the floppy
in the 7300 is not PC-compatible.  I just thought I'd mention
this in case anyone else tries to replace a drive.  I recently
got a 7300 with a dead floppy and tried dropping a 360K PC drive
in it.  It would go on and the LED would light appropriately, but
the machine did not recognize the floppy.  I tried changing a few
jumpers around on the floppy board, but no luck.

Second, the query.  Has anyone successfully upgraded their
motherboard memory on the 7300?  I've got to find a reasonable
way to get my 512K on the new/old 7300 I just got upgraded.
So far, apparently there are no price reductions on the memory
or combo boards to coincide with the sell-out of the 7300 units.

And FINALLY, did anyone else hear that the reason the 7300 supply
has about dried up is that they were all bought up recently by a
European firm?  This was the story I got from a VAR recently.
It might have some significance on whether or not other parts
become available at reduced prices or perhaps get all bought up
and become unavailable at any price.

Steve Spearman  ihnp4!ihlpf!spear

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (11/24/87)

In article <2848@ihlpf.ATT.COM> spear@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Spearman) writes:
>First, was I the only person who did not know that the floppy
>in the 7300 is not PC-compatible.

You are wrong.  The floppy in mine, and the one specified in the Tech
Reference Manual, is a dead standard Teac floppy, no different than
the one I have in my PC.  You might try playing with those jumpers
some more.

>And FINALLY, did anyone else hear that the reason the 7300 supply
>has about dried up is that they were all bought up recently by a
>European firm?  This was the story I got from a VAR recently.

According to the AT&T guy I talked with, they are going to use the
remaining 3b1's with one of their fancy telephone systems.  He
didn't think the European firm story was particularly likely.

--
----------------
Michael J. Farren      "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (11/24/87)

In article <2848@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, spear@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Spearman) writes:
> And FINALLY, did anyone else hear that the reason the 7300 supply
> has about dried up is that they were all bought up recently by a
> European firm?  This was the story I got from a VAR recently.
> It might have some significance on whether or not other parts
> become available at reduced prices or perhaps get all bought up
> and become unavailable at any price.

To the best of my knowledge, AT&T will have parts and service for
the UNIX-PC line for the next five years or so.  The company has
contractural commitments to keep.
--
Andy Sherman / AT&T Bell Laboratories (Medical Diagnostic Systems)
480 Red Hill Road / Middletown NJ 07748 / (201) 615-5708

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (11/24/87)

In article <384@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
:>And FINALLY, did anyone else hear that the reason the 7300 supply
:>has about dried up is that they were all bought up recently by a
:>European firm?  This was the story I got from a VAR recently.
:According to the AT&T guy I talked with, they are going to use the
:remaining 3b1's with one of their fancy telephone systems.  He
:didn't think the European firm story was particularly likely.

I went to the UNIX EXPO trade show last month in NYC.   There was a vendor
there called "Computer Integration Associates" or some such (their sign said
CIA in big letters), who were selling the 7300, packaged wiht the AT&T voice
board and a bunch of softwarte CIA had written.  I asked the guy about supply
issues; he said he'd bought the last 500 of them available.

Disclaimer: I don't knwo if he was right or not.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

spear@ihop3.UUCP (11/25/87)

> In article <2848@ihlpf.ATT.COM> spear@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Spearman) writes:
>>First, was I the only person who did not know that the floppy
>>in the 7300 is not PC-compatible.
> You are wrong.  The floppy in mine, and the one specified in the Tech
> Reference Manual, is a dead standard Teac floppy, no different than
> the one I have in my PC.

I'd be interested in feedback from anyone else who has actually put
an IBM standard floppy in their PC.  Not only did I try a known-good
drive from my 6300 and play with all the jumpers, but I ask an AT&T
serviceman who verified that the 7300 floppy was NOT PC compatible.
However the Teac drive in the 7300 is Teac FD-55B-01-U which is one I recall
as marketed for MSDOS clones.

The jumpers could certainly have been the problem - the naming schemes
of the two letter codes on the jumpers was not the same between the
Teac 7300 and the 6300 floppy drive, so I was just guessing and experimenting.
Maybe someone knows the changes from a standard clone floppy setting?

Also, if the drive is really PC compatible, does that mean that an
after market 3 1/2 inch or an AT drive could be substituted?  Or would
that be beyond the abilities of the controller to handle?
--
Steve Spearman  {ihnp4,ethos}!ihop3!spear
Voice: (312) 979-4181

lenny@icus.UUCP (11/26/87)

In article <384@gethen.UUCP>, farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
> In article <2848@ihlpf.ATT.COM> spear@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Spearman) writes:
> >First, was I the only person who did not know that the floppy
> >in the 7300 is not PC-compatible.
>
> You are wrong.  The floppy in mine, and the one specified in the Tech
> Reference Manual, is a dead standard Teac floppy, no different than
> the one I have in my PC.  You might try playing with those jumpers
> some more.

There is a lot of talk about the floppy being a PC compatible standard
Teac drive.  Would there be a possibility of putting in a 1.2M/360K floppy
in the Unix PC?  The older 20M PC7300 used to have a 1.2M floppy.  Why
did AT&T make this painful reduction in floppy capacity.  I assume they
want us to shell out the $$$ for the Tape Backup unit which costs as
much as the PC itself. :-(   I wouldn't mind a tape backup, but paying
$1500+ for it is slightly ridiculous!

Question 1 - If I could put in a 1.2M floppy and reduce my complete backups
             from 150+ disks to 40+ disks how would I go about it?  Does it
	     require disk controllers to be changed?  Or can this controller
             handle both capacities?  What make drive would be suggested?

Question 2 - If the above is impossible where could I get a tape backup that
	     costs less than what AT&T sells?  Alloy used to make the FT-73
	     which was rumored to be less?  I heard they don't sell it anymore.

Question 3 - Now that AT&T officially dropped the UNIX PC line (for what
	     reasons I don't understand)  When will the peripherals come
	     down in price?  I would like to someday upgrade memory and
	     other things.

					Thanks in advance,
					Lenny
--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1

nic@marque.mu.edu (Nic Bernstein) (11/26/87)

In article <257@ihop3.UUCP> spear@ihop3.UUCP (Steve Spearman) writes:
>> In article <2848@ihlpf.ATT.COM> spear@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Spearman) writes:
>>>First, was I the only person who did not know that the floppy
>>>in the 7300 is not PC-compatible.
>> You are wrong.  The floppy in mine, and the one specified in the Tech
>> Reference Manual, is a dead standard Teac floppy, no different than
>> the one I have in my PC.
>
>I'd be interested in feedback from anyone else who has actually put
>an IBM standard floppy in their PC.  Not only did I try a known-good
>drive from my 6300 and play with all the jumpers, but I ask an AT&T
>serviceman who verified that the 7300 floppy was NOT PC compatible.
>However the Teac drive in the 7300 is Teac FD-55B-01-U which is one I recall
>as marketed for MSDOS clones.
>
>The jumpers could certainly have been the problem - the naming schemes
>of the two letter codes on the jumpers was not the same between the
>Teac 7300 and the 6300 floppy drive, so I was just guessing and experimenting.
>Maybe someone knows the changes from a standard clone floppy setting?
>
>Also, if the drive is really PC compatible, does that mean that an
>after market 3 1/2 inch or an AT drive could be substituted?  Or would
>that be beyond the abilities of the controller to handle?
>--
>Steve Spearman  {ihnp4,ethos}!ihop3!spear
>Voice: (312) 979-4181

I don't see why this is impossible.  I have removed the standard Teac drive
from the pc7300 cabinet and blocked off the hole that it occupied.  I then
replaced the short cable to the drive with a long one which I ran out of
the cabinet and the power supply I extended with a power "y" cable for a
MSDOS machine, which is intended to power two drives when only one power
connector was built in.  This is long enough to reach outside the cabinet
also.  I had a spare (old) Shugart SA465 drive which is a 96tpi unit.  I
have the two drives sitting side by side next to the pc7300 with power
avaliable to both and simply switch the data cable between the drives to
have 360K or 720K backups and archives.  I now only use the 40tpi when I
need to make MS-DOS compatable disks or need the original foundation set.
I also re-made the diagnostics and 1st set of 3 floppies in a 80 track
version so I can re-boot and re-load software from the denser 80 track
drive.  The only other change needed was to make a discriptor file for
"iv" to format the disk with.  This setup has worked well for me for
over two years now.  So I fail to see why using standard MS-DOS floppies
should be a problem.  The following has also been observed/tried:
Making the floppies with 10 sectors rather than 8, this resulted in
un-reliable reads.  The harware does not bring out all the mutiplex lines
to the cable, so you can only have onme drive address for the floppy.
Also the descriptors arn't there (/dev/fp?).  The following information
comes from the AT&T Service Manual, a handy little book that I paid just
slightly over a buck a page ( this is if you count both sides of the
dividers and both sides of blank pages, etc. ) as this wasd, at the
time, the only way to find out how to connect a serial port...  Fortunately
AT&T wised up and has now included the port information in th eowners manuals.
There are two sets of jumper rows on the drive.  The one closer to the data
connector:

HS  - No jumper	- Head Select
DSO - JUMPER	- Drive select 0
DS1 - No jumper - Drive select 1
HM  - JUMPER	- Head Motor Option
DS2 - No jumper - Drive select 2
DS3 - No jumper - Drive select 3
MX  - No jumper - Drive select mux

The jumper row furthest from the data connector ( Unfortunatly I don't
know the meanings of the symbols).

UR  - No jumper
ML  - No jumper
IU  - JUMPER
HL  - No jumper
SM  - JUMPER
U0  - No jumper
U1  - No jumper
RE  - No jumper

I hope this helps!
						- Nic

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (11/26/87)

In article <257@ihop3.UUCP> spear@ihop3.UUCP (Steve Spearman) writes:
>I'd be interested in feedback from anyone else who has actually put
>an IBM standard floppy in their PC.  Not only did I try a known-good
>drive from my 6300 and play with all the jumpers, but I ask an AT&T
>serviceman who verified that the 7300 floppy was NOT PC compatible.
>However the Teac drive in the 7300 is Teac FD-55B-01-U which is one I recall
>as marketed for MSDOS clones.

Well, I haven't tried that ...

however, when the AT&T repairman came out one time and saw the dual
Teac's I have hanging off of my Color Computer he exclaimed something
about those being the same drives they use in the Unix PC.
--
<---- David Herron -- Resident E-Mail Hack     <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET