[unix-pc.general] Memory Expansion and Swap Space

scs@lokkur.UUCP (12/02/87)

'Way back in the olden days Byte magazine did a review of the
first 7300s, with the statement that the 64K ram chips could be
pulled from the monther board and replaced with 256s.  "All you
need is a jumper (or blue wire, or something to that effect)."
[[don't take that as an actual quote]].  So I bought one plus
a 1/2 meg expansion memory, figuring on upgrading to a full 4Mb.

Later, no-one seemed to know how to do this and AT&T wanted me
to upgrade to a 3B1 instead.  The guy I bought the 7300 from was
no help whatsoever.  Anybody know about this?

On a related topic, can anyone give me hints on finding out just
how much swap space is actually in use?  With a 20M disk, even
reclaiming a little would help.
--

alex@umbc3.UUCP (12/06/87)

>how much swap space is actually in use?  With a 20M disk, even
>reclaiming a little would help.

when I formatted my hard-disk, I was asked did I want single or multi user?
I entered multi-user, and later I found out that
		single-user = 4meg
		multi-user  = 5meg.

The word I got from ATT to modify swap space was...

1) go to the 7 item menu on the diagnostics disk.
2) type 's4 test' (spelling? maybe one word)
3) at the EXPERT> prompt, type '2' (no quotes...)
4) tell it how much spap you want.

I haven't done this yet, If I do I'll go the other way to 8meg swap (for lisp).
I would be interested to finding out what else you can do here, I think that
this is a shell script, so I'll try to tear apart my diagnostics disk some day.
If any one plays with this, please post your results.

NOTE that you must reformat the hard disk for this....

						:alex.

alex@umbc3.umd.edu

sid@chinet.UUCP (Sid Grange) (12/11/87)

In article <627@umbc3.UMD.EDU> alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:
>The word I got from ATT to modify swap space was...

  [ Stuff on modifying amount of swap space deleted ]

>I would be interested to finding out what else you can do here, I think that
>this is a shell script, so I'll try to tear apart my diagnostics disk some day.
>If any one plays with this, please post your results.

 This does work. I increased mine to 6.5 megs with no ill effects. Using
malloc, it checks out as being available. The program on the diag disk is
not a shell script but a binary. If I recall, I just mounted it and read it.
You might want to make a backup with fpcp (floppy copy) before you do this.

---
Sid Grange
ihnp4!chinet!sid, but that may change suddenly soon..
Safe sex is okay, just don't do it with a time lock vault at closing time.