[net.dcom] Ethernet problem

carl@otto.UUCP (Carl Shapiro) (02/10/86)

Expires:
I'm having difficulty getting a VAX 750 to communicate with a pair
of SUN-3's over Ethernet.  All are running 4.2bsd.  The VAX has an
Interlan NI1010A-S1 board and an Interlan tranceiver;  the SUNs use
3Com tranceivers.

The problem comes when using rcp to send files from the VAX to either
SUN - the copy fails (after a long wait) if the size of the file
being copied exceeds 1023 bytes.  The other 4 paths (either SUN to the
VAX, either SUN to either SUN) between the systems work fine.  Rlogin
works fine in all directions.

I've swapped tranceivers, Interlan <--> 3Com, and Interlan has twice
sent me replacement boards, all with no success.

I would be grateful for any suggestions, or hints as to what to try next.

    Thanks,
    Carl Shapiro
    {ihnp4,sdcrdcf}!otto!carl

wje@daisy.UUCP (William J. Earl) (02/11/86)

In article <113@otto.UUCP> carl@otto.UUCP (Carl Shapiro) writes:
>I'm having difficulty getting a VAX 750 to communicate with a pair
>of SUN-3's over Ethernet.  All are running 4.2bsd.  ...
>The problem comes when using rcp to send files from the VAX to either
>SUN - the copy fails (after a long wait) if the size of the file
>being copied exceeds 1023 bytes.  The other 4 paths (either SUN to the
>VAX, either SUN to either SUN) between the systems work fine.  Rlogin
>works fine in all directions.

     I have heard of a similar problem with respect to rcp
from a Daisy Concurrent Chipmaster (which runs 4.2bsd tcp/ip)
to a SUN-3.  The problem is probably that the SUNs do not accept
the use of a trailer protocol by the VAX or the Daisy.  Both
the VAX and the Daisy use a trailer protocol for large transfers
(1024 bytes or more) by default.  To disable this feature,
add the "-trailer" switch to the ifconfig command line in /etc/rc.
The effect of the SUNs not accepting the protocol is that the
large packets are discarded and the transfer eventually times out.
--
	William J. Earl
	Daisy Systems Corporation, Mountain View, CA

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (02/15/86)

Re: connections timing out between SUN/3s and 4.2bsd vaxen?
Re Re: maybe you need to turn off trailers?

Although you certainly want to have your use of trailers match (if you
get more heterogenous you'll find only 4.2 uses trailers so you'll
probably have to shut them all off eventually anyhow, oh maybe someone
else uses them, but many don't and won't) this problem still occurs
(trust me, my trailers are off and I lose connections, like during
an rdump.) I think most of us on SUN/3s are using PILOT or ALPHA, I
sure hope they fix this in the real release due out soon. Anyone
from SUN?

	-Barry Shein, Boston University