[unix-pc.general] Troubles with the ol' Unix-pc

jeff@cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) (12/15/87)

In article <653@astroatc.UUCP>, mag@astroatc.UUCP (Michael A. Goldsmith) writes:
> I recently upgraded my 2 year old 7300 from release 3.00 to 3.51.
> ....  the system now exhibits an annoying behavior:
>
> After it has been running for a while (amount of time varies), the
> system refuses to echo some characters typed on the console.
>
> The mouse tracks properly, but button presses are often ignored.
> The 'ps -ea' command pauses for about 1/2 second part way through its
> output.
>
> There is apparently no observable (at least that I've been able to
> determine) correlation between the system beginning this behavior and
> any of the following:
>
> 1. Particular keys typed.
> 2. Amount of time system has been up.
> 3. What command or commands have been used since system boot.
>
> The only (temporary) fix for the problem is a reboot.

All of the problems reported above have been and continue to occur on
my machine as well.  These troubles started when I received a new 3B1
and loaded 3.51 onto it.  I have been working with the Hotline for the
past three months attempting to isolate the problem which we have been
assuming was hardware related.  Now I am beginning to believe that there
may be a bug in the software.

Since I am actively pursuing this problem, I would like to hear from
anyone who has experienced any of the following difficulties:

  1:  The system appears to hang.  The mouse tracks across the screen
      and you can move/resize open windows but there is no response
      to keyboard input and you can not "select" actions with the mouse
      nor can you login on another port.

  2:  The system stops echoing your characters typed at the keyboard
      but reads the input and executes commands.  This may eventually
      lead to condition No. 1 above.

  3:  You type commands (like "ps -ea" above or "ls -l") and part of the
      output appears on the screen and then stops with the WORKING icon
      displayed.  You hit <RTN> and more output is displayed as if the
      process was hung waiting for keyboard input (probably an I/O
      interrupt).

  4:  You "cat", "more" or "less" a file and a few lines appear on the
      screen and then things hang up as in No. 3 above.  As you hit <RTN>,
      one additional line is displayed only.  Each <RTN> will display
      another single line.  No. 3 and 4 also typically progress to condition
      No. 1 as well.

  5:  Any other strange repeating occurrence which eventually forces you
      to reboot the machine in order to clear the problem.

If you have experienced any of these conditions, please send me a note
describing the following:

    - Version of the OS you are running

    - Hardware configuration (Disk size, memory, expansion boards, etc)

    - Peripherals attached to system

    - Any special custom software packages you have installed or modifications
      to the system which you have made - such as: multiple gettys, deamons,
      elm mail, special uucp hacks, etc.

    - Description of the problem(s) outlining exactly what occurred, what
      you or others were doing on the system at the time and what you did
      to solve the problem.

    - Description of how often the problem(s) have occurred.

    - Any other information, hints, ideas or guesses you may have regarding
      the possible cause of the problem.

Armed with your information, we may be able to discover a pattern to these
problems which will hopefully lead to a cure.  I will pass along all bug
reports I receive to the AT&T Hotline and will post followup messages
describing any progress which is made.

Thanks in advance to all of you who are able to help in this effort.
--
Jeffery Small          (203) 776-2000     UUCP:   uunet!---\
C. Jeffery Small and Associates	                  ihnp4!--- hsi!cjsa!jeff