[unix-pc.general] Mysterious crashes on UNIX pc.

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (12/13/87)

A few months ago there was some discussion on mysterious crashes on
the UNIX pc.  A few people eluded in having extra login-getty's in
/etc/inittab for the window caused them to crash the machine on occasion.
Well I had these, and removed them to see if my crashes that happened
every couple of weeks of continuous running was caused by them.  Well
they're not.

Last night my machine was running fine...this morning (or afternoon)
when I woke up at 1:30pm (It was a late night for me :-) ) I hit the
space bar to wake up the screen saver ... and went to login to see
what's going on.  To my dismay, nothing I typed did anything.  The mouse
moved, but keyboard responses were nil.   It seems to be a problem with
the window manager (wmgr) ... or maybe the system manager (smgr)?  It was
1:30pm, and the clock at the top said "10:06am"... I guess that's when it
crashed.  I couldn't do anything, except to press the reset button.

Has anyone else figured out how to remedy this?  I keep my machine running
continuously... Also I'm running 3.51.

Also what are these that comes up in the /usr/adm/unix.log pretty often?

	Spurious interrupt - level 2 Sat Dec 12 16:58:51 1987

Should I be worried?

					-Lenny
--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (12/16/87)

In article <174@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Also what are these that comes up in the /usr/adm/unix.log pretty often?
>
>	Spurious interrupt - level 2 Sat Dec 12 16:58:51 1987

These interrupts occur when your line printer is powered on and off, or
any other time the system sees enough noise on the parallel port lines.

>Should I be worried?

No.  I get 'em all the time, and haven't had a problem yet.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate