[unix-pc.general] UNIX PC Device Drivers Development Guide.

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (12/12/87)

It finally came today.  After two letters being bounced back because
it had no specific person on the address label, this time Michael Ditto's
(ford@crash.CTS.COM) address worked out!

Thirty-nine pages long, the UNIX PC Version 3.0 Device Driver Development
Guide, Issue 0.  Written by:

		R. D. Niehaus
		mtuxn!4341rdn, fjrdn!rdn

I haven't had the chance to read through the whole thing, but it looks
pretty interesting.  It gives you a broad idea on how to write a device
driver, although some examples would have helped.

Also included was an extra goodie, the Kernel Debugger Information
and 1 diskette that included the kernel debugger.  This debugger gives
your the capability to interrupt a kernel driver, and examine the
registers, instructions, etc...  Sounds interesting, although I haven't
tried it yet.

					--Lenny
--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (12/16/87)

In article <172@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) [Me] writes:
|>It finally came today.  After two letters being bounced back because
|>it had no specific person on the address label, this time Michael Ditto's
|>(ford@crash.CTS.COM) address worked out!
|>
|>Thirty-nine pages long, the UNIX PC Version 3.0 Device Driver Development
|>Guide, Issue 0.  Written by:
|>
|>		R. D. Niehaus
|>		mtuxn!4341rdn, fjrdn!rdn

I don't know if mtunx!4341rdn can help you... but you might want to Email
him and see.  I assume if his mailbox gets flooded with mail he'll get mad,
so I'm not sure he's the right person to write.

I am sorry I forgot the Attn: name of the person to write...  I believe
Michael Ditto was the one who first had good success... If you read this
please let us know about the person's name again!

The address was gotten from the UNIX PC Interface Specification manual 3.51
page 2-51:

	AT&T Information Systems
	Attn: Device Driver Information (Rm 6A45)
	1776 On the Green
	Morristown, NJ 07960

I had problems with this address initially getting bounced back to me
because it needed a person's name... not just a room number.

						-Lenny
--

jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark) (12/17/87)

In article <176@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>I don't know if mtunx!4341rdn can help you... you might want to Email him

I shouldn't bother, that system has been turned off for at least a year.
I don't recognize that login either, and the person in question is almost
certainly doing something else by now anyway.

Sorry to be such a party pooper and all that.
--
Jonathan Clark
jhc@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.

pgf@mtung.ATT.COM (Paul Fox) (12/18/87)

In article <1364@mtune.ATT.COM> jhc@mtune.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) writes:
>In article <176@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>>I don't know if mtunx!4341rdn can help you... you might want to Email him
>I shouldn't bother, that system has been turned off for at least a year.

...and Doug has had at least two new jobs since then...  but I'm sure he'd
be flattered to know we're all thinking of him...

--
			Paul Fox, AT&T Information Systems, Middletown NJ.
			  [ihnp4|vax135]!mtung!pgf (201)957-2698

ford@crash.cts.com (Michael Ditto) (12/21/87)

In article <176@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>I am sorry I forgot the Attn: name of the person to write...  I believe
>Michael Ditto was the one who first had good success... If you read this
>please let us know about the person's name again!
>
>The address was gotten from the UNIX PC Interface Specification manual 3.51
>page 2-51:
>
>	AT&T Information Systems
>	Attn: Device Driver Information (Rm 6A45)
>	1776 On the Green
>	Morristown, NJ 07960

I sent a request to the address above, and was lucky enough to have my
letter picked up by someone named Joe Braski, who sent me the information.
I do not know if he is actually responsible for distributing the document,
but if you want to ask him, just replace the Attn: line above with

	Attn: Joe Braski (Room 5A18)

--

Mike Ditto					-=] Ford [=-
P.O. Box 1721					ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM