[unix-pc.general] bug in newgrp?

brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) (12/15/87)

There appears to be a bug involving newgrp (at least in V3.51).  If I
add myself to another group in /etc/group, then try to newgrp to that
group, newgrp says "Sorry" and bombs.  Actually, since I'm using ksh,
after the failed newgrp (a ksh built-in), the shell itself dies,
logging me out.  Only a full reboot seems to convince the system that
I'm really a member of the new group.  This behavior appears to
deviate from everything I know about how "true" SV should work.

I find myself wondering, what with this bug and the various others
that people have mentioned over the past several months (including the
annoying ksh bug in which the shell dies if the input line exceeds 128
(?) characters, which can easily happen with <esc>*), is the AT&T Unix
PC development group still alive, and are they putting together a
new release of the OS?  Or do we just plan on living with what we've
got?  If they're still operating, how do we make sure our favorite
bugs get fixed in the next release?
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (12/20/87)

In article <283@manta.UUCP>, brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
> [ deleted a specific complaint ]
>
> I find myself wondering, what with this bug and the various others
> that people have mentioned over the past several months (including the
> annoying ksh bug in which the shell dies if the input line exceeds 128
> (?) characters, which can easily happen with <esc>*), is the AT&T Unix
> PC development group still alive, and are they putting together a
> new release of the OS?  Or do we just plan on living with what we've
> got?  If they're still operating, how do we make sure our favorite
> bugs get fixed in the next release?

I think you can forget about it.  No matter what it looks like, AT&T *is*
a business, and they make business decisions.  The UNIX PC is a dead product
from their point of view; all units are sold, and there are no more being
made.  They will honor (I suppose) their service contracts, but I cannot
imagine that they will put the resources into developing anything new.

Somehow, in this business, fixing bugs has come to be regarded as developing
"something new".  Philosophically I have some trouble with this, but as a
person who also makes business decisions, I cannot see another way ... oh,
well, that discussion belongs in another group anyway ...

rosalia@mozart.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (12/25/87)

In article <283@manta.UUCP> brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>There appears to be a bug involving newgrp (at least in V3.51).  If I
>add myself to another group in /etc/group, then try to newgrp to that
>group, newgrp says "Sorry" and bombs.

I had that problem also.  I changed the order in /etc/group, and it
started working.  The problem is that your default group (the one in
the passwd file) has to be before (if I remember right) all other
groups you belong to.  Or maybe viceversa.

Try that one.  In any case, I'm sure that it IS a bug, but I'm too lazy
to read the docs on newgrp to find out how it should behave.
--
						Mark Galassi
					    ...!mozart!rosalia