[unix-pc.general] Wmgr .vs. Cron

jcs@tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) (12/29/87)

What's the story on wmgr and cron? I've heard that wmgr handles the
cron functions on the Unix-pc so is there any reason to fire up cron?
I can't find any docs on wmgr in the manuals I received with the machine
so could somebody please tell me where they are? I have this weird feeling
it's in that $350.00 manual..

Thanks in advance...

--
						John "C". Sucilla
						ihnp4!tarkus!jcs

nic@marque.mu.edu (Nic Bernstein) (01/06/88)

In article <30@tarkus.UUCP> jcs@tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) writes:

>What's the story on wmgr and cron? I've heard that wmgr handles the
                     ^^^^                           ^^^^
>cron functions on the Unix-pc so is there any reason to fire up cron?
[stuff deleted]
>--
>						John "C". Sucilla
>						ihnp4!tarkus!jcs

No it's "smgr" that provides cron's functionality, it also posts the time
at the top of your screen and is responsible for the "disk almost full"
messages which, before 3.51, would flash a window up while you were
typing and divert your output, a real nuisance.  Fortunately, this was
changed to just display an empty/full icon like your car's gas guage.
						- Nic