[unix-pc.general] Modem Monitoring Program

dab@barak.UUCP (David Berk) (01/05/88)

From time to time I notice that the internal modem on my 7300
will get into a state where the modem will ring and ring and
not answer.  Has anybody noticed this problem, perhaps know
the cause? Also has anyone written any kind of script that
will periodically check the health of the internal modem to
see if its hanging, and if it is reset the modem?

				Thanx;

--
					David Berk
					...ihnp4!mtune!barak!dab

nic@marque.mu.edu (Nic Bernstein) (01/06/88)

In article <168@gwspc.UUCP> gws@gwspc.UUCP (Gary W. Sanders) writes:
>In article <45@barak.UUCP> dab@barak.UUCP (David Berk) writes:
>>From time to time I notice that the internal modem on my 7300
>>will get into a state where the modem will ring and ring and
>>not answer.  Has anybody noticed this problem, perhaps know
>
>	I had this same problem. I noticed that after a uucp transfer
>the getty would never get respawnd. It turns out that geton.sh was not
>running properly. My solution was to run geton.sh out of cron. every
>15 minutes or so and that seems to fix the problem. I did notice that
>this problem was more pronounced with HDB than with the orginal uucp.
>

>--
>Gary W. Sanders      {cbosgd|ihnp4}!gwspc!gws	AT&T Bell Labs (Columbus)
>72277,1325 (cis)     {cbosgd|ihnp4}!n8emr!gws	N8EMR @ W8CQK	(d thket)
>614-860-5965 (w)				614-457-4595 (h)

We have had the same problem on a 3B1 running 3.51.  This unit also has
combo boards installed.  We found that, when the thing was hung, there
was a "stuck" uucico and a stuck "setgetty" in the ps table.  We found
mention of this a while back on the net and subsequently wrote a shell
script that checked the ps for a "setgetty" running and if it was, waited
one minute and checked for it again.  We picked up the pid of the setgetty
and checked it against the one that was picked up a minute later.  If they
were the same, we killed the setgetty.

This seemed to work okay for a while and then, one weekend, the phone
disappeared again.  When we came in "ph1" was commented out in /etc/inittab
so we realized that the setgetty was killed prematurely.  We added a 60
second sleep in the script and re-issued the setgetty.  We are waiting to
see how this works out now.  We are running this check out of crontab
about every 15 minutes.  We also have a logfile in one directory that
records the pid of the killed process and the time it is killed.

Another way to do this, that I have seen, is to check if the uucico and
the setgetty are running on the same device (ph1).

We have also seen one other problem, that is sometimes the "ph0" and "ph1"
lines seem to get reversed.  I have called the modem on the 3B1 only to
find someone answering the phone. They told me I was calling on the wrong
line, an impossibility as I was using the same script I always use when
calling and the 2 phone numbers aren't even close.  The phone manager
displays are correct at the top of the screen.  Using the phone manager
to "toggle" the lines ( the "select line" function key) will usually
restore the phone order but sometimes I have to do a shutdown to get it
all back together.
						- Roger
						- Nic