[net.dcom] tip

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/11/86)

    We are trying to use tip(1C) on a VAX 750 4.2BSD system to communicate with
another 4.2 UNIX system (on a Callan) over an RS232 line attached to a tty
port. I made an entry in /etc/remote that looks like

hao-ig:dv=/dev/ttyh8:br#9600

  Then the getty for that port was disabled (by putting 0tttyh8 as it's line
in /etc/ttys and doing kill -1 1, standard port-disable procedure). When we
then try "tip hao-ig" the response is "all ports busy". I tried fooling around
with various things in el, ie and oe fields as well, but the response from
tip is invariant. What have I done wrong and/or left out? Has anyone else
used tip(1C) for this sort of thing?

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

"If the game is lost, we're all the same;
No one left to place or take the blame"

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (02/14/86)

  Thanks to all who responded to my tip(1C) question. At least 10 people
told me that tip prints "all ports busy" when it cannot open the /dev/tty
port in question. A misleading diagnostic at best, but it is cured by
chown'ing the /dev/tty port to uucp.

--Greg
--

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (02/15/86)

>When we then try "tip hao-ig" the response is "all ports busy". I
>tried fooling around with various things in el, ie and oe fields as
>well, but the response from tip is invariant.

easy, 'chown 666 /dev/ttyh8', tip doesn't like the permissions,
probably some more stringent permissions would work also. Also check
for lock files in /usr/spool/uucp (just rm a file like LCK.ttyh8, as
long as you know it's invalid.) [in the original message ttyh8 was
used, any tty of course.]

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

taylor@glasgow.UUCP (02/16/86)

In article <1954@hao.UUCP> woods@hao.UUCP writes:
>then try "tip hao-ig" the response is "all ports busy". I tried fooling around

'all ports busy' I think means that tip has found a UUCP lock file for all
ports with the name specified... check /usr/spool/uucp/hao-ig..LCK and
rm it if it exists.

meth@ztivax.UUCP (02/17/86)

I suppose, there is a lockfile in the directory /usr/spool/uucp, named
LCK..ttyxy. This is used to prevent tip from using a line, when
uucp is active on this same line.