[unix-pc.general] More memory or more swap space?

brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) (01/02/88)

I just finished building 3B1 Kyoto Common Lisp (thanks to eer@ritcv).
It works fine and seems to conform to Steele's CLtL specs.

Unfortunately, it eats memory.  The load image (before user programs)
is ~1.5Mb.  Thus it's easy to run out of swap space, esp. when running
KCL and Gnu Emacs together.  Some facts: I've got 2MB RAM, and the
disk is configured for multiuser.

I know I can increase swap space at the cost of less file space (tho I
can't remember how :-().  But I'm curious: would increasing physical
memory help?  On the one hand, it would seem that with more memory,
less of KCL would be paged out at any given time, decreasing the
demands on the swap area.  But if swap space is reserved in advance,
based on the size of the image's .data/.bss segments perhaps, then
increasing memory size won't help.  I suppose it's more cost-effective
to just up the swap file by a meg or so, but I'd really like to know
how the system manages the swap area.
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (01/14/88)

In article <3285@ems.Ems.MN.ORG> mark@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn) writes:
>	I have tried to bring up Scheme version 3.5 (?) on my 3b1 at home.
>Unfortunatley, the d*mn thing will not compile due to the way that it is
>written.  It will always fail with a 'too many defines' error message.
>
>	This is caused by the way that the code is written.  It uses
>#defines everywhere in the code to define what should be functions, or
>at least in-line code.  There are litterally hundreds of these definitions
>some of which redefine previous definitions to rename them, etc.

Get the cpp from the GNU C compiler, or a GNU emacs distribution and
use that.  You may need to write a shell script to change some flag
handling.  I had CScheme running on my 7300 compiled this way before
I zapped it to recover some disk space.

-dB
"I don't care what you say, as long as you spell my name right."
{amdahl, cbosgd, mtxinu, ptsfa, sun}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.uucp