[unix-pc.general] SOFTWARE LIST FOR THE 3B1

allbery@axcess.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (01/15/88)

A few comments...

Oracle and Unify are also available for the 3B1.  (Accell isn't.  Unify Corp.,
if you're listening:  Please correct this!  I would *kill* for a good DBMS on
this thing!)  I think I saw Progress available as well, but I'm not certain of
it.

If your previous experience is Unix, skip the Smart Software.  If this
critter's the same on PClones as it is on the 3B1, it's no wonder I'd never
heard of it before: the only thing I found even partially useable was the
spreadsheet.  I've offloaded it and am willing to sell it for $200 to anyone
interested... the DBMS is okay if all you're after is dBase III type of stuff
(having used Informix, Unify, and Oracle, I can't put up with dBase-style
DBMSes).  Probably good for people upgrading from PClones to real computers.
[ ;-) ]
--
 ___  ________________,	Brandon S. Allbery	       cbosgd \
'   \/  __   __,  __,	aXcess Company		       mandrill|

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (01/19/88)

In article <135@axcess.UUCP>, allbery@axcess.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> If your previous experience is Unix, skip the Smart Software.  If this
> critter's the same on PClones as it is on the 3B1, it's no wonder I'd never
> heard of it before: the only thing I found even partially useable was the
> spreadsheet.

Well, we resell the Smart package as part of our software line, and on
a PC, it's not that bad.  It uses these DOS things called 'overlays'
that allow you to load your main body of code, then load different
sections of code *over* parts of that code for each major program you
want to run.  Gak. Ok, it looks like this:
+>:|
| :|
| :|
+>:
| ^------ 'Main' part of Smart executable, roughly 100K

+----  the code between the '+>'s is as big as the code will ever get.

This make any sense?  I hope so.  Anyway, on the unix-pc, this wouldn't
work.  Oh wait.  It *would*.  Overlays are kind of like a kluged shared
memory thing for DOS.  I would think that Smart could be recompiled
using shared memory.  Anyway...  under DOS it does all the same things,
just faster and in less memory.  The most Smart will take up on a DOS
machine is roughly 130k.  Gads.  It's hard to explain stupid DOS klugdes.
--
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
Just another journalist with too much computing power.| 'Hey, watch me ollie

gregg@comdim.UUCP (Gregg Stratton) (01/20/88)

In article <300@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
> In article <135@axcess.UUCP>, allbery@axcess.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> > If your previous experience is Unix, skip the Smart Software.  If this
>
> Well, we resell the Smart package as part of our software line, and on
> a PC, it's not that bad.

Smart may not be too bad on the PC, but on the 3B1 it is unuseable.
Creating a font that fit 80 characters in a *bordered* window makes it
very hard on the eyes.  All those little, tiny characters surrounded by
a Smart window border surrounded by the 3B1 border makes for a very poor
implementation of a product.

Gregg Stratton
Voice (home):	(415) 626-9619
Voice (work):	(408) 943-2410
UUCP:           ..!ihnp4!ptsfa!comdim!gregg
CIS:            74036,2576

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (01/22/88)

> Smart may not be too bad on the PC, but on the 3B1 it is unuseable.
> Creating a font that fit 80 characters in a *bordered* window makes it
> very hard on the eyes.  All those little, tiny characters surrounded by
> a Smart window border surrounded by the 3B1 border makes for a very poor
> implementation of a product.

I second that observation.  It is an amazingly stupid implementation.

--
Richard Foulk		...{dual,vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) (01/26/88)

In article <3814@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>> Smart may not be too bad on the PC, but on the 3B1 it is unuseable.
>> Creating a font that fit 80 characters in a *bordered* window makes it
>> very hard on the eyes.  All those little, tiny characters surrounded by
>> a Smart window border surrounded by the 3B1 border makes for a very poor
>> implementation of a product.
>
>I second that observation.  It is an amazingly stupid implementation.

That, however, seems to be its only drawback. I had the opportunity
to play with Smart over the weekend. So far it seems like a very nice
package, but, like you said, the font is hard on your eyes.

OK, if we rule out Smart as a viable spreadsheet/database package, what
else is there?
--
Edward C. Bennett				DOMAIN: edward@engr.uky.edu
					UUCP: {cbosgd|uunet}!ukma!ukecc!edward