[unix-pc.general] quiz

brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) (01/08/88)

In article <2635@pbhyf.UUCP> pjc@pbhyf.UUCP (Paul Condie) writes that
the phone manager complains "You may not run the phone manager without
logging in" when he's logged in, and the mail icon never notifies him
of new mail.

Are you using multiple gettys?  If so, then I believe the problem is
that you're not logged in to the /dev/w1 window.  Apparently, smgr
(which controls the mail icon) and ph lookup the user on w1, and if
you're logged in on another window, they think no one's logged in. The
solution is to always log in to the first "login" window listed in the
wmgr menu.
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania

pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) (01/13/88)

In article <333@manta.UUCP> brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>In article <2635@pbhyf.UUCP> pjc@pbhyf.UUCP (Paul Condie) writes that
>the phone manager complains "You may not run the phone manager without
>logging in" when he's logged in, and the mail icon never notifies him
>of new mail.
>
>Are you using multiple gettys?  If so, then I believe the problem is

No I'm not using multiple gettys.
Some time during the night the problem disapeared.
The next morning I was able to use the phone manager with no problems.
all things come to him who waits!

rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (01/20/88)

In article <367@pcbox.UUCP> pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) writes:
>In article <333@manta.UUCP> brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>>In article <2635@pbhyf.UUCP> pjc@pbhyf.UUCP (Paul Condie) writes that
>>the phone manager complains "You may not run the phone manager without
>>logging in" when he's logged in, and the mail icon never notifies him
>>of new mail.
>>Are you using multiple gettys?  If so, then I believe the problem is
>No I'm not using multiple gettys.
>Some time during the night the problem disapeared.

Sounds to me like your /etc/utmp or /usr/adm/wtmp was truncated or
trashed while you were logged in.  (it happens).

rich.

pjc@pbhyf.UUCP (Paul Condie) (01/26/88)

In article <2600@oxtrap.UUCP> rich@oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
>In article <367@pcbox.UUCP> pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) writes:
>>In article <333@manta.UUCP> brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
>>>In article <2635@pbhyf.UUCP> pjc@pbhyf.UUCP (Paul Condie) writes that
>>>the phone manager complains "You may not run the phone manager without
>>>logging in" when he's logged in, and the mail icon never notifies him
>>>of new mail.
>>>Are you using multiple gettys?  If so, then I believe the problem is
>>No I'm not using multiple gettys.
>>Some time during the night the problem disapeared.
>Sounds to me like your /etc/utmp or /usr/adm/wtmp was truncated or
>trashed while you were logged in.  (it happens).

Well it happend again over the weekend.
I had just sent a file to lp (remote print via uux), and i noticed that
lp core dumped and uucp exited with a "bad read".  I was then unable to
use the phone manager.  phdaemon reported that uucp was in progress, but
it wasn't.  there was no LCK.. file laying around but utmp looked funny which
is why phdaemon was reporting uucp in progress.

i am now unable to dial into my machine becase my modem does not answer.
I have tried rebooting but that didn't fix the problem of my modem answering.

How do you reset the modem???

the first time i had this problem was two days after  i had installed
news on my system, coincidence???

andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) (01/27/88)

In article <2712@pbhyf.UUCP>, pjc@pbhyf.UUCP (Paul Condie) writes:

> Well it happend again over the weekend.
> i am now unable to dial into my machine becase my modem does not answer.
> I have tried rebooting but that didn't fix the problem of my modem answering.
>
> How do you reset the modem???

If you are running the distributed version of uucp (not HDB) you have probably
found one of the bugs in uucp.  This version of uucp (as well as cu, and ATE)
has a really klugy way of killing the getty running on the line so it can dial
out.  It edits /etc/inittab by putting a ":" in front of the entry in
/etc/inittab and kills the getty.  When uucp finishes it removes the ":"
and restarts getty.  For some reason this does not always work, and you are
left without a getty running on the line.  Rebooting won't help because
the entry in inittab is still commented out.  You can ether edit inittab
and replace the : with a space (make *Sure* there is a space in the first
position) or better you can type "setgetty ph1 1" (without the ""'s).

Andy Pitts    andy@rbdc   {gladys,bakerst}!rbdc!andy