[unix-pc.general] Capscntrl

wilber@alice.UUCP (01/28/88)

Bob Fishell writes:
> "Capcntrl" (alternatively known as "keyswitch") is an installabl that's
> supposed to switch the functions of the "caps lock" and "ctrl" keys on
> a 7300 keyboard.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate a version
> of capcntrl for version 3.51.  Neither the 3.0 version nor 3.5 will work
> with 3.51.  Anybody out there know where I can get one? I've already
> checked "THE STORE!"

I've been using Capscntrl release 3.5 v1.0 from the Store on my 3b1
with version 3.51 and it works fine.  If you were using Capscntrl 3.0 maybe
it didn't get uninstalled properly, and is now trashing 3.5.

> As an aside, this program wouldn't be necessary if the 7300 keyboard
> had been designed by anyone who's ever heard of emacs.

Agreed.  The guy who decided to put the Caps Lock key under the tab key
should be condemned to using IBM's X edit for the rest of his days.
On second thought, not even I am that cruel.  Of course the true Emacs
fan would not have made DEL be <shift> ESC either, although that is
fixable with the usual ^H <-> DEL swap in the key table.

Bob Wilber    {mtune, ihnp4}!gauss!wilber