[unix-pc.general] Formatting 360K MS-DOS Floppies on a UNIX-PC?

sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) (01/26/88)

Does anyone have a routine for formatting MS-DOS floppies on
the UNIX-PC at 360K?  I'm running 3.5, and it still formats
at 320K from the user agent.  Source code would be nice, if
you have it!  Even hints would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Steve Wampler
{...}!arizona!naucse!sbw

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (01/29/88)

In article <544@naucse.UUCP> sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
>Does anyone have a routine for formatting MS-DOS floppies on
>the UNIX-PC at 360K?  I'm running 3.5, and it still formats
>at 320K from the user agent.  Source code would be nice, if
>you have it!  Even hints would be appreciated!

I created this format 9 sector disks (below) and it seems to work.
Whether or not the driver REALLY formats disk 10 sector I don't know.
This came from the 10 sector versions of the same stuff.

Do not include the dashed lines. If someone would send me a "shar", I
wouldn't have to do this!

-------- /usr/bin/fdfmt9.nl --------
#sccs	"@(#)iv:fdfmt.nl	1.1"

iv -i /dev/rfp020 /usr/lib/iv/FD9nl
mkfs /dev/fp021
dismount -f > /dev/null 2>&1
------------------------------------

-------- /usr/lib/iv/FD9nl --------
#sccs	"@(#)iv/lib:FDnl	1.1"
#	iv description file for 48 TPI Floppy file system disk.
type		FD
name		Floppy
cylinders	40
heads		2
sectors		9
steprate	0
singledensity
$
badblocktable  0
$
$
0
1
$
$

--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, {ihnp4|cbosgd}!n8emr!uncle!jbm
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641, FLAME via email :)