[unix-pc.general] Capcntrl

fish@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Fishell) (01/27/88)

"Capcntrl" (alternatively known as "keyswitch") is an installabl that's
supposed to switch the functions of the "caps lock" and "ctrl" keys on
a 7300 keyboard.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate a version
of capcntrl for version 3.51.  Neither the 3.0 version nor 3.5 will work
with 3.51.  Anybody out there know where I can get one? I've already
checked "THE STORE!"

As an aside, this program wouldn't be necessary if the 7300 keyboard
had been designed by anyone who's ever heard of emacs.
--
 __
/  \				Bob Fishell

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (01/27/88)

In article <6969@ihlpa.ATT.COM> fish@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Fishell) writes:
>"Capcntrl" (alternatively known as "keyswitch") is an installabl that's
>supposed to switch the functions of the "caps lock" and "ctrl" keys on
>a 7300 keyboard.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate a version
>of capcntrl for version 3.51.  Neither the 3.0 version nor 3.5 will work
>with 3.51.  Anybody out there know where I can get one? I've already
>checked "THE STORE!"
>
>Bob Fishell
>ihnp4!ihlpa!fish

There was much discussion about just this matter when 3.51 came out.
I've included some old news articles that told how to cope with 3.51.

Article 37 of comp.sys.att:
From: tody@noao.arpa (Doug Tody X217)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.att
Subject: Re: UnixPC F/S V3.51 and CAPCTRL
Date: 8 Aug 87 00:55:38 GMT

In article <1692@super.upenn.edu>, brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Brant Cheikes)
writes:

> ...My real question concerns CAPCTRL3.5, available from The Store!  Has
> anyone tried using it under V3.51? ... The install file restricts CAPCTRL3.5
> to installation on version 3.5...

Yes, a V3.5 release is still being mailed and it won't install on V3.51, but
you can hack the Install script and it works fine once installed; I just did
this last night.  The installable file is placed in /usr/spool/uucppublic/STORE
by uucp.  To fix it, unpack the files with cpio, edit the 'Install' file to
permit V3.51, repack the cpio file and replace the orignal.  It will then
install ok, and it works fine under V3.51.

Article 38 of comp.sys.att:
From: jhc@mtune.ATT.COM (Jonathan Clark)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.att
Date: 8 Aug 87 03:40:55 GMT

Does CAPCTRL3.5 work on 3.51? Yes. The reason that the test for 3.5 is
in there is because this version hard-crashes a 3.0 kernel and
recovery is less than trivial. At the time we didn't know what the
next software release was going to be called and so couldn't test for it.
If I have a spare minute one evening I'll fix the test.

BTW, people are minding the STORE, but it's way down on the priority
list and there are some, er, constraints that we have to conform to.
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC,attmail]!mtune!jhc

An Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.

Article 42 of comp.sys.att:
From: richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.att
Date: 8 Aug 87 06:05:42 GMT

> My real question concerns CAPCTRL3.5, available from The Store!  Has
> anyone tried using it under V3.51?  There doesn't seem to be a new
> version available from The Store!, and my impression is that no one
> is "minding The Store!" these days.  The install file restricts
> CAPCTRL3.5 to installation on version 3.5.  I'd hate to lose this
> program under the new release.

I have the 3.51 foundation set and 3.5 utilities.  I manualy cpio'd
the CAPCTRL3.5 package apart and edited the "Install" file to force it
to think I was running 3.5.  Then I did a "sh Install" and everything
seems to work.  Though it did go a little screwy once or twice, for
the last 12 to 15 hours it's been solid (got my fingers crossed).
Definitely can't live with the original keyboard layout.

BTW: the ICONCLAST package from the store doesn't seem to be compatible
with 3.51.

Anybody got a solution for the noisy fan?

--
Richard Foulk		...{dual,vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

Article 44 of comp.sys.att:
From: jlw@mtuxo.UUCP (J.WOOD)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.att
Date: 8 Aug 87 18:52:13 GMT

Yes, Virginia, CAPCTRL3.5 works with 3.51.  I did mine
thusly:

	cpio -icBdum < /dev/rfp021 (my saved version from THE STORE!)
	vi Install and find the hook and remove it
	cat Files | cpio -ocB > /usr/spool/uucppublic/CAP+IN
	go to ua and install software sent by Email

Joe Wood
lznv!jlw

--
Jim Prior    jep@oink.UUCP    {ihnp4|cbosgd}!n8emr!oink!jep
Pseudo-programmers use pseudo-code to write pseudo-programs on pseudo-machines!

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (01/28/88)

In article <6969@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, fish@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Fishell) writes:

> "Capcntrl" (alternatively known as "keyswitch") is an installabl that's
> supposed to switch the functions of the "caps lock" and "ctrl" keys on
> a 7300 keyboard.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate a version
> of capcntrl for version 3.51.  Neither the 3.0 version nor 3.5 will work
> with 3.51.  Anybody out there know where I can get one? I've already
> checked "THE STORE!"

Actually, the 3.5 CAPCTRL works fine on 3.51.  The only problem is
that the install script has a test built in that explicitly tests for
3.5 and fails if 3.51 is in use.  I believe you can get around this
be reading in all the files (with cpio), patching the 'install' script
and then running it.  I did it by patching the script, putting all the
files back on the disk and then going through the normal floppy install
procedure.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (01/29/88)

In article <6969@ihlpa.ATT.COM> fish@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Fishell) writes:

|>"Capcntrl" (alternatively known as "keyswitch") is an installabl that's
|>supposed to switch the functions of the "caps lock" and "ctrl" keys on
|>a 7300 keyboard.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate a version
|>of capcntrl for version 3.51.  Neither the 3.0 version nor 3.5 will work
|>with 3.51.  Anybody out there know where I can get one? I've already
|>checked "THE STORE!"

The CAPCTRL3.5 from THE STORE! is upwardly compatible with the 3.51
operating system.  The only modification you need to make is in the
"Install" script that when it checks for just 3.5, it checks for 3.51
as well.

Install it by hand and it will work fine. "cpio -iduvmc < CAPCTRL3.5+IN"

How do I know all this, I tried it?  Don't be afraid to do this, worse
thing you could do is crash the system ;-)

						-Lenny

--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1

andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (01/30/88)

In article <6969@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, fish@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bob Fishell) writes:

> "Capcntrl" (alternatively known as "keyswitch") is an installabl that's
> supposed to switch the functions of the "caps lock" and "ctrl" keys on
> a 7300 keyboard.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate a version
> of capcntrl for version 3.51.  Neither the 3.0 version nor 3.5 will work
> with 3.51.  Anybody out there know where I can get one? I've already
> checked "THE STORE!"

You can hack the Install script on the 3.5 version.  The 3.5 version
is fine, it just is very restrictive in its version check.  I think
I may have posted this a while back.  If you want the proper install
script send me mail.
--
Andy Sherman / AT&T Bell Laboratories (Medical Diagnostic Systems)
480 Red Hill Road / Middletown NJ 07748 / (201) 615-5708