[net.music] in regards to abuse and suppression of nessus

mem@sii.UUCP (Mark Mallett) (09/05/85)

Dear "people":

I've been reading this area for many years now.  I don't think I've ever
seen such tantrums thrown over somebody not wanting to read articles on
a particular subject.  What the heck is going on?  I realize that every
September the quality of articles deteriorates with the filling of the
university accounts, but I don't think that applies this time.

As for the issue:  I, for one, enjoy reading Doug Alan's articles.  He
has a lot to say, and I never have to wonder about what he *really*
means when he says it.  And no amount of raving against his opinions is
going to make me decide that I don't want to hear him, after all.  But
that doesn't have anything to do with it.  There have been lots of topics
that I have had no interest in which have lasted for long periods, and I've
managed to deal with them by Not Reading Them.

My personal wish is that you all stop gleefully discussing how you would
like to censor this person's articles and use the system provide for you:
if you don't want to read something, DON'T!!  I'm much more enraged by
articles suggesting ways to suppress the flow of articles than by those
that I don't want to read.  Nor do I buy the philosophy that discussions
of particular artists should be shunted off to their own groups-- how the
heck would I ever learn anything new that way?

I really don't want all this viciousness to take away my options, whether
it be to read Doug Alan's postings, or Grateful Dead stuff, or something
from somebody who may now be intimidated.  Maybe it is a joke?  Say nasty
things about Doug because he is so funny when he gets provoked?  I doubt
it.  I don't know what the motivation is, but then again I don't really
understand bookburnings either.  I suppose you feel that since you don't
like reading these articles, then no one else can either?  It isn't really
surprising that there are people who don't want to read them, it is a large
user base.  But it also should not be surprising that there are people who
will want to read them- and furthermore it stands to reason that for most
anything that someone posts with true intention of imparting information,
there will be someone who will be interested in it.  That's the whole point
of the general distribution nature of this group and that's why you have
the option of Not Reading the things you don't care about!

I suppose I should mention that I don't know nor have never met any
of these people personally, and that I have been listening to Kate
Bush long before I ever heard of Doug Alan.  The attempts to stifle
something that I enjoy annoy me, so I felt obliged to comment.

		for the clever closing quote:

			"But now the flames are rising higher,
			 I guess I haven't seen anything yet"
					-Julie Snow, "Baptism of Fire"

Mark Mallett
decvax!sii!mem   or   ittatc!sii!mem

speaker@gymble.UUCP (Speaker to Animals) (09/12/85)

In article <426@sii.UUCP> mem@sii.UUCP (Mark Mallett) writes:

> I've been reading this area for many years now.  I don't think I've ever
> seen such tantrums thrown over somebody not wanting to read articles on
> a particular subject.  What the heck is going on?  I realize that every
> September the quality of articles deteriorates with the filling of the
> university accounts, but I don't think that applies this time.

UUuurrrrrrr... the Pupeteer deserves it!  Look at what he and his kind have
been doing to MY race all these centuries!  Maybe this experience will bring
him down a notch or two.  Passive Kzinti INDEED!

sam@bu-cs.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) (09/13/85)

[Mark Mallett:]
>I suppose I should mention that I don't know nor have never met any
>of these people personally, and that I have been listening to Kate
>Bush long before I ever heard of Doug Alan.  The attempts to stifle
>something that I enjoy annoy me, so I felt obliged to comment.

I have also been listening to Kate Bush long before I ever heard of
Doug Alan, too.  I also have met Doug Alan, and he's not nearly as
harsh as he seems on the net.  If you treat his opinions with respect,
he will treat yours as such, too.  He *does* have some good things to
say...

--
"Ya know, I really *love* a phone tent."
Shelli Meyers