[unix-pc.general] unix-pc.* newsgroups

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (01/05/88)

Following some of the comments and ideas about restructuring
comp.sys.att for various reasons a question I've been meaning
to ask has come to mind again...

Disregarding network traffic loads for a moment; is there some
reason why it would not be a good idea to gateway the unix-pc.*
groups to mainstream Usenet?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems to me that it would
be a net gain for the participants at both ends.

--
Richard Foulk		...{dual,vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) (01/21/88)

In article <3788@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:

>After getting a large enough number of favorable responses from the
>net in support of such a move, one or more news admins could add a
>line like the following to their /usr/lib/news/aliases file:
>
>unix-pc.general	comp.sys.att

These points have already been made by others, but I think they're
worth reiterating:

	1.  You can always cross-post to comp.sys.att, and many
	    people do.

	2.  A lot of the people on the current unix-pc.* net
	    do NOT have access to comp.sys.att and would lose
	    their source of information if the unix-pc.* groups
	    were swallowed by The Greater Usenet.

>And the distribution of the
>unix-pc.* groups can't help but be much less than that available
>though the mainstream Usenet.

Not given the option of cross-posting.
And the *combined* distribution is greater than that available
only thru the mainstream Usenet ...

Kathy Vincent ------> {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy

dave@galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley) (01/24/88)

In article <9300049@bradley> brad@bradley.UUCP writes:

>I would like to see unixpc groups in comp.sys.att, because we don't
>see the unixpc groups here.

The solution is not to gateway the unix-pc.* groups into comp.sys.att, the
solution is to get yourself a feed for the unix-pc.* groups.  There are
plenty of feeds available, although you might have to call long distance.
For example, if you are willing to call Rhode Island I can give you a feed.
In order to get a feed for the machine at work I ended up having to call
Kentucky.  There are currently two people collecting information about who
gets the unix-pc groups.  They can probably help you locate a feed in your
area.  Try contacting "dave@safari" for information.

In case you couldn't guess, I am AGAINST the merging of the groups.  I say
this from the dual standpoint of a user with a 7300 at home and of a system
administrator of several large systems at work.  I get both groups and I
think they both serve separate and useful purposes.  If anything, I think it
might be more useful to have someone gateway the comp.sys.att group into
unix-pc.general so that people who dont get both groups will have access to
the information.  You just have to be careful not to gateway anything that
was already cross-posted.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.zone1.com	{cbosgd,gatech,necntc,ukma}!rayssd!galaxia!dave

andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) (01/25/88)

In article <1049@bakerst.UUCP>, kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) writes:
> These points have already been made by others, but I think they're
> worth reiterating:
>
> 	1.  You can always cross-post to comp.sys.att, and many
> 	    people do.
>
> 	2.  A lot of the people on the current unix-pc.* net
> 	    do NOT have access to comp.sys.att and would lose
> 	    their source of information if the unix-pc.* groups
> 	    were swallowed by The Greater Usenet.

Since we can't agree as to whether or not the groups should be combined into
one newsgroup, I would like to propose that *every* article (about the 7300
or 3b1) posted to either comp.sys.att or unix-pc.general be cross-posted to
the other newsgroup as well.  The article would then be accessible to readers
of both groups and people with access to only one of the newsgroups would
be able to see the posting.  No extra overhead would be involved, as the
article would be transmitted once and would be stored in one file.

As Kathy stated, many unix-pc net readers would lose information in the
groups were swallowed by USENET.  My motivation for the above proposal is
the opposite; I am at a 3b1 site that receives the full USENET newsfeed
from a local site, but does not receive unix-pc groups, and probably won't
if we have to pay long distance phone bills to get them.  (Justifying news
to management would be difficult.)  I'd love to see more UNIX pc information
than we already do through comp.sys.att, and this would be a painless way
to get it if posters remember to cross post.

	Andrew Scott		..alberta!teletron!andrew

--
$ make sense
Make:  Don't know how to make sense.  Stop.

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (01/27/88)

In article <210@teletron.UUCP>, andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) writes:

> As Kathy stated, many unix-pc net readers would lose information in the
> groups were swallowed by USENET.  My motivation for the above proposal is
> the opposite; I am at a 3b1 site that receives the full USENET newsfeed
> from a local site, but does not receive unix-pc groups, and probably won't
		     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> if we have to pay long distance phone bills to get them.  (Justifying news
> to management would be difficult.)  I'd love to see more UNIX pc information
> than we already do through comp.sys.att, and this would be a painless way
> to get it if posters remember to cross post.

I will apologise for Andrew, he was obviously asleep when he
made the noted comment :-) [ Andrew - teletron should be getting
unix-pc.* from alberta, they started carrying it late last year
at my request (per your request) ].

If you don't get the unix-pc groups, post to news.admin requesting
a feed. The number of sites carrying the unix-pc groups is growing
quickly, and if the news admins start seeing a lot of requests
(in news.admin where they look for this sort of thing) they may be
inclined to pick the groups up anyway, especially due to the low
volume and good signal/noise ratio in these groups.

If you want a feed of unix-pc.* (or alt.*) and can't find another
source, I can set up a feed for your site (long distance though).
I would prefer sites running Trailblazers, but will take on 2400
baud sites if need be. I won't be able to do this forever, but I'll
do what I can to help until the connectivity of these groups improves.

--lyndon    ...!alberta!ncc!lyndon

andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) (01/29/88)

In article <10049@ncc.UUCP>, lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) writes:
>In article <210@teletron.UUCP>, andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) writes:
>> I am at a 3b1 site that receives the full USENET newsfeed
>> from a local site, but does not receive unix-pc groups, and probably won't
> 		     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> if we have to pay long distance phone bills to get them.

> I will apologise for Andrew, he was obviously asleep when he
> made the noted comment :-) [ Andrew - teletron should be getting
> unix-pc.* from alberta, they started carrying it late last year
> at my request (per your request) ].

Actually, I was quite awake.  I got suspicious when I noticed that *every*
file in /usr/spool/news/unix-pc/* had multiple links.  Taking a look at the
headers revealed that they were all cross-posted to some other USENET group
which we *did* receive - thus the links.  We haven't seen any unix-pc.* only
traffic, hence the motivation for the cross-posting proposal.

Sorry to post this, everybody, but I wanted to make sure that my proposal
wasn't "invalidated".  (It's such a simple request, after all...)

	Andrew

--

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (01/31/88)

In article <210@teletron.UUCP> andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) writes:
|In article <1049@bakerst.UUCP|, kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) writes:
|| These points have already been made by others, but I think they're
|| worth reiterating:
|| 	1.  You can always cross-post to comp.sys.att, and many
|| 	    people do.
|| 	2.  A lot of the people on the current unix-pc.* net
|| 	    do NOT have access to comp.sys.att and would lose
|| 	    their source of information if the unix-pc.* groups
|| 	    were swallowed by The Greater Usenet.

Anyone else notice taht these are mutually contradictory?  at least, in terms
of getting unix-pc articles to people whose sites don't get unix-pc?

>to management would be difficult.)  I'd love to see more UNIX pc information
>than we already do through comp.sys.att, and this would be a painless way
>to get it if posters remember to cross post.

I wouldn't count on the readers cross-posting, especially those at unix-pc-only
sites.  Rather, let me insert a plug for my own project:  I'm running a unix-pc
to mail gateway, with the ultimate goal of gatewaying unix-pc into
comp.sys.att.  To join the mailing list, send me email; enough readers and I'll
see about changing over to a unix-pc/Usenet gateway.

>	Andrew Scott		..alberta!teletron!andrew

      \scott
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   scott@zorch.UU.NET
(408) 245-9461        (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (01/31/88)

[added unix-pc.general to the newsgroups list]

> Why not just crosspost to unix-pc.groupyouwant and comp.sys.att?
> If a site only recieves one, then they'll still get the message.
> If they get both, they'll still only get one copy of the message and only
> have to read it one time.

Remember that on systems that only get one of the groups that the
sysadmins must be asked to create the other group.  The group must
at least exist, even if there's no feed, or attempts to post or
cross-post to it will fail.  I think there are other problems with
relying on everyone cross-posting.

When I originally suggested that some sort of gateway be setup
between the two nets I thought that most people involved shared
my interest for the greatest possible readership.  I'm amazed
that some don't.  And I am a little discouraged.

When I bought my 3b1, knowing that it was soon to be orphaned by
AT&T, I assumed that any support or software I might need I could
get via the Usenet.  So far that has worked quite well.

But the real value of any computer is dependant on the level of
support it enjoys.  And support can always be improved.

I have feeds for both nets.  I'm worried about other people that
don't.  It's to everyones advantage to have the largest number
of contributors and the largest audience -- that's the way the
net works, through give and take.

I'm amazed by those that say the thing to do is to give everyone
feeds to the unix-pc network, as if that were the best (or even
a good) approach.  Next to Usenet the unix-pc network is very small.

The Usenet was originally created in support of computers and
software.  Groups like comp.sys.att, or any other reasonable
computer related group will always be welcome.  It's the many
non-computer related groups that might need to worry about someone
pulling the plug on them.

Is it just a vocal clique that doesn't want to see the unix-pc
groups modified (or even just better connected)?

If they were simply pointing out flaws in a suggested approach
I'd understand.  But their responses to anything but the status
quo have been surprisingly negative.

I wasn't going to get into this again but I have a sizeable
investment at stake, so I couldn't contain myself.  I hope
I haven't made too many enemies.

--
Richard Foulk		...{vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/02/88)

In article <213@teletron.UUCP> andrew@teletron.UUCP (Andrew Scott) writes:

>I got suspicious when I noticed that *every*
>file in /usr/spool/news/unix-pc/* had multiple links.

On gethen, about 50% of the unix-pc articles are for unix-pc only - no
multiple links on 'em.  Of the rest, essentially all of 'em were posted
originally to comp.sys.att, with unix-pc added as a cross-posting.  It
isn't a simplistic situation - there is such a mix of unix-pc only,
comp.sys.att only, and cross-posts that deciding to eliminate *either*
source of information would be a losing proposition.

---
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate
        unisoft!gethen!farren | it.  You may want to change your mind someday."
gethen!farren@lll-winken.llnl.gov ----- Tom Reingold, from alt.flame

gary@ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) (02/03/88)

In article <3831@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:

>When I originally suggested that some sort of gateway be setup
>between the two nets I thought that most people involved shared
>my interest for the greatest possible readership.  I'm amazed
>that some don't.  And I am a little discouraged.

Don't be discouraged.  I think people on both sides of the
argument are interested in a combination of the greatest possible
readership with a collection of high quality postings.  Some have
not been convinced that comp.sys.att swallowing the unix-pc
groups would bring that about.  You should remember that the bulk
of good articles regarding the 3b1 with high signal to noise ratio
have been in unix-pc and not comp.sys.att.  That is one reason
why we are reluctant abandon the unix-pc ship.

>I'm amazed by those that say the thing to do is to give everyone
>feeds to the unix-pc network, as if that were the best (or even
>a good) approach.  Next to Usenet the unix-pc network is very small.

It is larger than you think, but certainly smaller than Usenet.
And since it consists only of sites interested in the 3b1, it
*should* be smaller.  Not all the sites on Usenet are interested
in 3b1s, and not all readers of comp.sys.att are interested in
3b1s (although many are).

>Is it just a vocal clique that doesn't want to see the unix-pc
>groups modified (or even just better connected)?
>
>If they were simply pointing out flaws in a suggested approach
>I'd understand.  But their responses to anything but the status
>quo have been surprisingly negative.

I think we have been pointing out flaws right and left.  I have
no particular aversion to your creating some kind of gateway--as
long as it doesn't mean articles start getting double posted and
readers of comp.sys.att don't have to start wading through 2
copies of every cross-posted article written.  I just wonder why
the gateway is necessary when cross-posting serves the exact same
purpose.  And again, it isn't as if people can't get hooked up to
the unix-pc net.  Many sites are willing to serve as feeders, and
my machine is one of them.

--

Gary J. Smith, M.D.	{mcnc,ihnp4}!ethos!gary
			P.O. Box 8005, Gray, Tenn. 37615

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (02/03/88)

In article <1613@ethos.UUCP> gary@ethos.UUCP (Gary J. Smith) writes:
>have been in unix-pc and not comp.sys.att.  That is one reason
>why we are reluctant abandon the unix-pc ship.

So far, there has been only one proposal to completely merge the two groups.
My gateway proposal started out as a *compromise* to allow comp.sys.att
readers to see the unix-pc groups.  I have no intention of trying to merge
the two networks.

>I think we have been pointing out flaws right and left.  I have
>no particular aversion to your creating some kind of gateway--as
>long as it doesn't mean articles start getting double posted and
>readers of comp.sys.att don't have to start wading through 2
>copies of every cross-posted article written.

If you're interested in seeing how the gateway works, here's the script:

cat >/tmp/art$$
if grep "Newsgroups:.*comp\.sys\.att" /tmp/art$$ >/dev/null; then
  rm -f /tmp/art$$
  exit 0
else
  mail gatelist </tmp/art$$
  rm -f /tmp/art$$
fi
exit 0

Yes, it is indeed coded to remove cross-posted articles.  As you see,
that's an entirely trivial operation:  'grep'.

>I just wonder why the gateway is necessary when cross-posting serves the
>exact same purpose.

Because, for many reasons discussed in other postings, cross-posting is not
a *viable* alternative.  People either can't crosspost or will forget to do
so.

>And again, it isn't as if people can't get hooked up to the unix-pc net.
>Many sites are willing to serve as feeders, and my machine is one of them.

Getting unix-pc added to existing services such as mail or comp.sys.att is
easy for non-sysadmin types.  Getting a feed for someone who either 1) does
not run News on their site, or 2) gets News at work, very often just isn't
worth their effort.

I'd certainly much rather feed news to everyone on the mailing list, because
it would be cheaper in terms of machine and connect time, but I'm willing to
spend some of my resources doing it this way in the hope of helping a larger
number of people.

>Gary J. Smith, M.D.	{mcnc,ihnp4}!ethos!gary
>			P.O. Box 8005, Gray, Tenn. 37615

         \scott