To: Info-Kermit@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU
Date: Sun 24 Jan 88 20:15:25-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Announcing C-Kermit 4E(068)

This is to announce another minor release, but this time a "real" release,
of C-Kermit for Unix, VAX/VMS, Data General AOS, the Commodore Amiga, the
Apple Macintosh, etc.  The changes were minor, and only appear in the Unix
versions.  They include:

 . Suspendibility via Ctrl-Z on systems with job control (Bob Brown).
 . Explicit support for SCO Xenix in the Makefile (from D.W. Bettinger).
 . Explicit support for the AT&T 7300, including the ability to dial its
   internal modem (from R.E. Hill, untested).
 . Improved response of the C-Kermit server to 'remote cwd' commands.
 . Miscellaneous small fixes and cleanups.

The major change is that since this is now considered a real release, the
files have been named from XK*.* back to CK*.*, and the XK*.* files are
gone, resulting in a savings of about 2 megabytes in our Kermit distribution
area and on our tapes.

All files' names changed, but the only files whose contents changed are:

 ckuker.upd - Update history
 ckuker.bwr - Beware file
 ckcfns.c   - Functions (better reporting of current directory by server)
 ckcmai.c   - Main program (new version number)
 ckcpro.c   - Protocol module (wart output)
 ckudia.c   - Dial module (ATT 7300 support added)
 ckuusr.c   - New calls
 ckutio.c   - Support for ATT 7300, job control fixes
 ckufio.c   - New zgtdir() function to return current directory
 ckdfio.c   - Ditto (but dummy)
 ckifio.c   - Ditto (but dummy)
 ckmfio.c   - Ditto (but dummy)
 ckvfio.c   - Ditto (but dummy)
 ckwart.c   - Syntax error fixed

These files are in K2: on CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU, e.g. K2:CKCFNS.C, available
via anonymous FTP.  They are also available on BITNET from KERMSRV@CUVMA as
CKCFNS C, etc.  For information about using KERMSRV to get Kermit files,
send a message to KERMSRV@CUVMA with the message text saying "help".

Please report any problems with this release to Info-Kermit@CU20B.
----- End article
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (02/05/88)

In article <337@manta.UUCP>, brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
> The following article appeared on the Info-Kermit digest; I thought it
> would be of interest to the UNIXpc community.  It seems we have two
> sets of UNIXpc mods for Kermit floating around.

>  . Explicit support for the AT&T 7300, including the ability to dial its
>    internal modem (from R.E. Hill, untested).

This was the version I had used along time ago.  It was written by
Richard Hill who works out at Lockheed.  This version was based on
4C(058).  Richard didn't have access to the net, so he sent some diff's
to Frank DaCruz.  I guess Richard's is the one that is going to be used
for real Kermit distribution.  I don't have the sources for it, but I
know that he used the dial(3c) function.  Kevin O'Gorman's is based on
4E(067), and uses ioctl calls... If anybody really cares.
--
Dave Arnold
dave@arnold.UUCP	{cci632|uunet}!ccicpg!arnold!dave