[net.dcom] Wanted: opinions on CDS and Multi-Tech modems

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (02/21/86)

	In evaluating 2400 bps rack-mount modems for regular dial-in and
uucp dial-out use, we've narrowed the list down to the Concord Data Systems
CDS-224 and the Multi-Tech MultiModem-224.  Both are in the $400-500 per
card price range and seem to have all the standard 212A/V.22bis features.
Both claim Hayes compatability (which isn't something I would brag about
myself).  The Multi-Tech has optional class 3 MNP error correction.

	Anybody out there have experience with either of these units (good
or bad) that they would like to share?  I'm especially interested in
hearing about the Multi-Tech because I've never heard of them before a
couple of weeks ago.
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (02/22/86)

In article <2243@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

> 	In evaluating 2400 bps rack-mount modems for regular dial-in and
> uucp dial-out use, we've narrowed the list down to the Concord Data Systems
> CDS-224 and the Multi-Tech MultiModem-224.
>       seem to have all the standard 212A/V.22bis features.
> Both claim Hayes compatability (which isn't something I would brag about
> myself).
>
> 	Anybody out there have experience with either of these units (good
> or bad) that they would like to share?
I have the CDS 224 +  (means it will do 2400,1200,300) and use it all the
time.  No problems except at 2400 on a noisy line without error correction.

Yes, you can use the Hayes program sets but I have not seen any need to and
haven't used them.  I stay with the cds commands.  I use it with kermit and
crosstalk, using crosstalk for vt100 emulation (which I don't like but it's
the only vt100 emulator i have).  I use kermit for transferring files to
Unix, Vms, and RSTS systems.

I also understand that the Tektronix incoming modems at 2400 baud are the
CDS 224 models.

In summary, I'm satisfied with it.

jim
tektronix!tekcbi!jimb