[net.dcom] Can anyone recommend a port sharing device?

bruce@graffiti.UUCP (Bruce Jilek) (02/20/86)

Pardon my ignorance, but....

Does anyone know of a device that will allow a computer with a
limited number of serial ports support a larger number of devices
by allocating ports based on a first come first served basis?

Example:

+-----+    +---+-----------------------------------------------> Term
|     |--->|P E|------------------------------------------> Term
|     |    |o x|-------------------------------------> Term
|  C  |--->|r p|--------------------------------> Term
|  P  |    |t a|----------------------------> Term
|  U  |--->|  n|-----------------------> Term
|     |    |  d|------------------> Term
|     |--->|  e|-------------> Term
+-----+    |  r|--------> Term
           +---+----> Term

4 Serial ---> 10 Serial  Only 4 active at a given time, 10 available
  Ports          Ports   for use to expand terminal locations.

Is this the domain of:
	a) A multiplexier?
	b) A smart swithcbox?
	c) A PACX (whatever that is)?
	d) A PBX?
	e) The Bagwan Rajneesh?

What kind of cost is involved in doing something like this?

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (02/22/86)

 This is the function of a port selector.  We have used port selectors from
 Micom with good success for about 7 years, and the company makes a relative-
 ly small model (the "standard" one can accomodate umpteen hundred lines/ports).

 - a company called Equinox has an expandable model which may be closer in size
   to your needs.

      greg pavlov, amherst, ny.

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (02/25/86)

In article <112@graffiti.UUCP> bruce@graffiti.UUCP (Bruce Jilek) writes:
>Does anyone know of a device that will allow a computer with a
>limited number of serial ports support a larger number of devices
>by allocating ports based on a first come first served basis?

Sure. These switches are commonly available, though they're not
as cheap as one might expect. The ones I've seen have the smarts
to allow you to choose what machine to connect to, as well as
allow you to support lots of devices non-simultaneously on one machine.

Two which I know of are the Gandalf PACX and the Develcon Develswitch.
These are both Canadian products: Gandalf is in Ottawa and Develcon
in Saskatoon, Sask. (thought they both have U.S. sales offices).

At the time I was looking at these (we just ended up getting more
and more ports on our Perkin-Elmer 3220), a "small" one was in
the $12,000-$16,000 (Cdn) range. They're likely somewhat cheaper now.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave