[unix-pc.general] 3b1 tape cartdrige

pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) (02/17/88)

I'm thinking about getting a tape backup system for my 3b1, I know ... I know
I hate paying that kind of money too.  But I need a good solution in saving
my files if the 3b1 craps out, where it would be cheaper to junk it.

My question is if I backup on the tape cartdrige system can a 3b2 read
a 3b1 backup tape  (cpio format).

ken@maxepr.UUCP (Ken Brassler) (02/18/88)

In article <389@pcbox.UUCP> pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) writes:

>My question is .... can a 3b2 read a 3b1 backup tape  (cpio format).

The tape drive manual says yes, provided that you create the backup
in 3b2 format on the 3b1.

3b2 format simply means that you use cpio (actually 'tapecpio') in
the normal manner to create a single backup "set" on one or more
tapes.

3b1 format uses a UA script to pack several separate backups on a
single tape cartridge. A 3b2 can't read this.

Of course this assumes that your 3b2 is using the same tape drive
mechanism that is supplied for the 3b1. This was true 2 years ago
when I bought my 3b1 unit.

--

Ken Brassler {ihnp4|qantel|pyramid|lll-crg}!pacbell!maxepr!ken

mikel@codas.att.com (Mikel Manitius) (02/18/88)

In article <389@pcbox.UUCP>, pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) writes:
> I'm thinking about getting a tape backup system for my 3b1, I know ... I know
> I hate paying that kind of money too.  But I need a good solution in saving
> my files if the 3b1 craps out, where it would be cheaper to junk it.
>
> My question is if I backup on the tape cartdrige system can a 3b2 read
> a 3b1 backup tape  (cpio format).

Yes, a 3b2/300 with an XM or 3b2/400 will be able to read the tape.
It will not be readable on a SCSI drive however.

For those of you in offices who have a STARLAN network, I've written
some nifty utilities, one of which is a tape backup interface. I can
back up an entire 67Meg 3b1 disk onto a 60 Meg SCSI tape on a 3b2/600.
(assuming the 3b1's disk isn't completley full (the extra 7 meg...))

One other note about the streamer drive for the UNIX Pc, we seem to
be having problems with the specific combination of OS 3.51, a STARLAN
board, and a tape controler board in the same machine. With the addittion
of the tape drive, the PC crashes right after booting.
--
					Mikel Manitius
					mikel@codas.att.com

mikel@atlas.codas.att.com (Mikel Manitius) (02/18/88)

jlw@lznv.ATT.COM (j.l.wood) (02/19/88)

In article <2584@codas.att.com>, mikel@codas.att.com (Mikel Manitius) writes:

> One other note about the streamer drive for the UNIX Pc, we seem to
> be having problems with the specific combination of OS 3.51, a STARLAN
> board, and a tape controler board in the same machine. With the addittion
> of the tape drive, the PC crashes right after booting.
> --
> 					Mikel Manitius
> 					mikel@codas.att.com

I have a memo which may pertain to this problem; ie UNIX-PC
crashing with both a tape backup and a STARLAN card present.
This is from September, 1986 so it predates 3.51.  Your UNIX-PC
may panic trap with a message stating "Panic: Page Fault in Kernel."

If it does so try the following:

*  First put the tape in slot 1 (leftmost from the back)
   and the STARLAN card in slot 2 (middle slot).  If the
   problem persists, do the following.

*  Remove from the STARLAN board the 47pf ceramic cap which
   is located as the second component outboard of the middle IC
   (of 5) of the row closest to the board edge connector.
   Got all that?  See drawing below.
   The capacitor is known as C48.  Just clip it off and toss
   it.  Most recent STARLAN NAUs have had this component removed
   already, if it was there at all.  If this still doesn't work,
   try the following.

*  Call your AT&T Service Representative. (Honest that's what it
   sez.)

Joe Wood
lznv!jlw

	E	 _____
	D	[_____] ()
	E	 _____
		[_____] ()

	C	 _____
	O	[_____] () [] <-- That's the sucker
	N	 _____
	E	[_____] ()
	T	 _____
	O	[_____] ()

		   ^    ^
	           |    |_ Filter Caps

		   |_ The First Row of ICs

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (02/20/88)

In article <389@pcbox.UUCP> pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) writes:
>I'm thinking about getting a tape backup system for my 3b1, I know ... I know
>I hate paying that kind of money too.  But I need a good solution in saving
>my files if the 3b1 craps out, where it would be cheaper to junk it.
>
>My question is if I backup on the tape cartdrige system can a 3b2 read
>a 3b1 backup tape  (cpio format).

Yes, there's a selection in the UA stuff so that you can write a 3b2 archive.
The alternative is more flexible (multiple archives per tape) but less
portable.

It's not real fast, but it sure beats feeding 60 floppies twice for a backup.

Good luck.
--

Kevin O'Gorman ( kevin@kosman ) voice: 805-984-8042
  Vital Computer Systems, 5115 Beachcomber, Oxnard, CA  93035

mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) (02/21/88)

In article <492@maxepr.UUCP> ken@maxepr.UUCP (Ken Brassler) writes:
>In article <389@pcbox.UUCP> pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) writes:
>>
>>My question is .... can a 3b2 read a 3b1 backup tape  (cpio format).

YES, I do it all the time.  I have access to several 3b2's and transport
most of my public stuff between my 3b1 and the 3b2 with the ATT tape drive.
You simply create a 3b2 tape on the 3b1 and all ends well!

--
                                                {mhuxu,u1100a}-----\