[unix-pc.general] Looking for termcap/terminfo entries for UNIX PC in UNIX PC mode

riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) (02/25/88)

I'm having problems with the "s4" and "7300" terminfo/termcap entries
on our 3B1's and 3B15.  Some of our users like to dial from one machine
to another using the Telephone Manager in UNIX PC mode, rather than
have it emulate a vt100 or a 513 terminal.  Unfortunately, there
appears to be a problem in the terminal emulation and/or in its
interaction with termcap/terminfo in this mode.  Specifically, vi gets
very confused about what line it is on, in a manner that suggests
scrolling and/or wordwrap problems.

I've called the hotline and been told (after 20 or 30 minutes of
insistence) that there is a "problem" (which I already knew) and not to
use UNIX PC mode.  Does anyone know whether the problem is in the
terminal emulation itself, or just in the termcap/terminfo entries?  If
the latter is true, does anyone have a fix?  Thanks.

(We're running 3.50, if it makes a difference.)

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
--- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle

jlw@lznv.ATT.COM (j.l.wood) (02/27/88)

The problem is that the automatic margins feature is broken
in terminal emulation (async_main) from the phone manager.  This has
been broken for some time.  At one time I had an async_main
with this fixed from Jonathon Clarke, but that was for 3.0
and no one supports the fix in 3.5 or 3.51.  The fix got
"lost" by the developers.

As a work-around you can take /etc/termcap and edit out the
:am: option.  Also go to the terminfo database and
infocmp -> vi -> tic the s4 entry.  Warning this will affect
local use as well as dial-in use.

Joe Wood
lznv!jlw

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (02/27/88)

In article <1028@woton.UUCP> riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) writes:
>I'm having problems with the "s4" and "7300" terminfo/termcap entries
>on our 3B1's and 3B15.  Some of our users like to dial from one machine
>to another using the Telephone Manager in UNIX PC mode, rather than
>have it emulate a vt100 or a 513 terminal.  Unfortunately, there
>appears to be a problem in the terminal emulation and/or in its
>interaction with termcap/terminfo in this mode.  Specifically, vi gets
>very confused about what line it is on, in a manner that suggests
>scrolling and/or wordwrap problems.

Hmm, I've noticed this at the *console* too if I'm using a non-standard
sized font in slot 0.  I know they say you're not supposed to put a smaller
font than 9x12 into slot 0, but if you don't you can't get a cursor
smaller than 9x12.  The small fonts seem to work, and vi sort of works,
but ^D mungs the screen terribly.  I'd also be most interested if anybody
has a fix for this.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (02/28/88)

> The problem is that the automatic margins feature is broken
> in terminal emulation (async_main) from the phone manager.  This has
> been broken for some time.  At one time I had an async_main
> with this fixed from Jonathon Clarke, but that was for 3.0
> and no one supports the fix in 3.5 or 3.51.  The fix got
> "lost" by the developers.
>
> As a work-around you can take /etc/termcap and edit out the
> :am: option.  Also go to the terminfo database and
> infocmp -> vi -> tic the s4 entry.  Warning this will affect
> local use as well as dial-in use.

A better solution is to use cu instead of the phone managers
terminal emulator (assuming vt100 emulation isn't a must).

The phone manager is so absurdly slow I'm always amazed to
hear that anyone is actually using it.

If the machine you're dialing into is a unix box then set
it up with a copy of the unixpc termcap and things will work
just fine.

If you must have vt100 emulation then I think you're just
out of luck until someone fixes the phone manager or writes
a decent replacement.

But if you must have vt100 emulation then you're probably
dialing into the wrong kind of computer anyway.   :-)

--
Richard Foulk		...{vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii