[unix-pc.general] Ex-unix support person speaks

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (05/01/88)

In article <963@tellab5.UUCP>, dpb@tellab5.UUCP (Darryl Baker) writes:
> Well I've seen a lot of speculation in this news group about what
> version of AT&T Unix is the OS on the Unix-pc. Well I left AT&T Unix
> System support after the introduction of the 7300, and it wasn't really
> based on any of the AT&T releases. Yes some of the utilities (init,
> login, getty) were System V but others such as ls were strickly
> Berekley. It was the first machine to have shared libraries and the
> driving force behind their development at Summit.  The demand paging

Well, I've just heard that AT&T announced a VoicePower board for their
WGS 386 computer.  If I am to assume that this machine is a replacement
for the 3B1, references to the sadness with which I note that Motorola
has been abandoned in favor of Intel aside, how does the new machine
compare?  I guess it's an 80386.  Has a lot of the software been ported?
How does the performance compare?  I guess a full-blown setup costs
nearly $10K (3B1 originally got near $8K with the works), but they're
pushing the 630 as a montitor.  Does this mean there will be no
UNIX-PC 3.6 OS? Got any information?  Good/bad news?

					G. Mark Stewart
					ATT-BTL Naperville, ix1g266
					ixlpq!gms 979-0914

dpb@tellab5.UUCP (Darryl Baker) (05/02/88)

In article <4599@ihlpf.ATT.COM> gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:
+>In article <963@tellab5.UUCP>, dpb@tellab5.UUCP (Darryl Baker) writes:
+>> Well I've seen a lot of speculation in this news group about what
+>> version of AT&T Unix is the OS on the Unix-pc. Well I left AT&T Unix
+>
+>Well, I've just heard that AT&T announced a VoicePower board for their
+>WGS 386 computer.  If I am to assume that this machine is a replacement
+>for the 3B1, references to the sadness with which I note that Motorola
+>has been abandoned in favor of Intel aside, how does the new machine
+>compare?  I guess it's an 80386.  Has a lot of the software been ported?

I tend to agree but how does this correspond to my article?
I am no longer with AT&T and not privy to their marketing plans.

+>How does the performance compare?  I guess a full-blown setup costs
+>nearly $10K (3B1 originally got near $8K with the works), but they're
+>pushing the 630 as a montitor.  Does this mean there will be no
+>UNIX-PC 3.6 OS? Got any information?  Good/bad news?
+>

I hope there is a 3.6 or 4.0 that is more in line with System V 3.0
but I doubt it. No profit and very little good press for AT&T.
--