[unix-pc.general] 3.51a ?

tlt@ihtlt.UUCP (T. L. Todd) (05/04/88)

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of the fixes that 3.51a covers?

In addition does anyone know for certain if each of the fixes actually work?
Does anything else break by installing 3.51a?

I have heard this and that from here and there with nothing too definite.
So far I have not upgraded to 3.51a because 3.51 seems to work fine for me.

Terry Todd @ ihlpl!tlt

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (05/10/88)

In article <83@ihtlt.UUCP> tlt@ihtlt.UUCP (T. L. Todd) writes:
>In addition does anyone know for certain if each of the fixes actually work?

I was having lots of problems with the maching hanging at the
end of a uucp session; the fixed uucico seems to clear that up.

>Does anything else break by installing 3.51a?

Yup.  I rather often dial in using a vt100.  With the 3.51a
kernel, it appears that any escape sequence (using a screen
editor, for example) will trash things so output is turned
to garbage.  The HotLine folks basically said "oops".

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	decvax!formtek!ditka!kls
1-412/937-4930 office	|	{pitt,psuvax1}!idis!formtek!ditka!kls
			|BIX	kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/14/88)

In article <261@ditka.UUCP> kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
>In article <83@ihtlt.UUCP> tlt@ihtlt.UUCP (T. L. Todd) writes:
>>In addition does anyone know for certain if each of the fixes actually work?
>
>I was having lots of problems with the maching hanging at the
>end of a uucp session; the fixed uucico seems to clear that up.

My experience with this was that I installed all the fixes.  Then
the machine started locking up -- the |WORKING| icon would stay on
and I'd get little to no response from any keys -- and the lockup
didn't really seem to be related to anything in particular.  I
eventually tried backing out the different patches one-by-one
and backing out the new uucico stopped the lockups.  The only problem
is I really *liked* that feature of the new uucico where it wouldn't
turn the speaker on when making calls.  Now I have to remember to turn
the speaker down before going to bed or I'll get woken up at 3am :-(.

Are you implying that there's a newer uucico than the one on
the fixdisk?
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET